No poo, won't take expressed bottle and too much sleep..

Jayceesmumma

Reaction score
Lily hasn't pooped for over a week now.. I've tried sugar water, tummy rubs and wiggling her legs.. She seems ok til about 5pm then kicks off randomly screaming... Constipated?
Also went out last night, fed her at 8:30-9, put her down and she slept thru til 11am! Is that too much??
I expressed too but she refused to take the bottle so I had to feed her myself.. Do u think this will be a problem?

I deffo think she will let you know when she is hungry! As for sleeping, my lo used to sleep 14 hours too, but from 6.30pm so i wudnt worry too much
Have u tried a squeeze of an orange in some warm water? Or prunes soaked in water, tiny bit of that?? That worked a treat for us. Hopenshes ok ccx

That's a long time for a breast fed baby not to poo, I know they are all different but I get at least 4 pooy nappies a day, sometimes 7! Would also explain why she slept so long as her tummy might be full, how long does she normally go without pooing? and does she normally sleep through? Is she ok otherwise?
Kynon stopped taking the bottle at 12 weeks and I've tried loads to get him to take it but he just screams at it so no drinkies for mummy for now! We're working on the cup which he is having a go at better than a bottle.

My Lily is breastfed and she regularly went a long time between poos (before weaning, she's a crap machine now!) - a week wasn't unusual at all. She used to seem uncomfortable with it and had bad wind etc, but HV kept saying that it wasn't unusual for breastfed babies to go that long without a poo as there is less waste from breast milk. We did see a paediatrician later (not about that) and he said the same as Sarah, that you'd expect more regular poos and that the HV was wrong, but she said her info is based on her experience.

As for the sleeping - my LO only recently started sleeping more than 6-8 hours at night so no experience on that front, but if she's otherwise well I wouldn't worry.

Thanks ladies, she's always been a fab sleeper.. If I put her to bed at 8pm she will go til 10am without even stirring.. Just realized that's the same as 9-11 (duh!!) she sleeps alot in the day too but getting more awake which is good :)
She usually goes a week max, only 4/5 poos since Xmas eve eve :shock:
She's not screaming all day etc think her crying is coz of teething as bonjela helps alot!
Last night she had a teeny little pebble in her nappy..

Is she old enough for oj and prune juice?

don't worry about the sleeping, my lo used to sleep 7pm to 10am, and nap during the day as well. i did ask the hv should i give her a second dream feed but she just said 'why?'. she won't sleep that long if she is hungry and its when they do all there growing and development so thats great.

as for the poo'ing - i think 7 days is a long time. emma once went 5 days and the hv wasn't concerned, think 7 days would be when they would start to take a bit of interest. just plain water would always work for us.

I would say try the orange juice only the teensiest bit though.

When Stanley was like how you described, I used to run a warm bath, use the johnson baby bedtime bath, and give his tummy a little massage in the bath...providing she doesnt hate baths lol then it should help relax and may help her go?? It worked for Stanley cos as soon as I got him in the towel he pooed everywhere lol xx

the other thing i did was to drink the orange juice myself - the hv gave me that tip - though the next day i'm convinced the whole place smelt of orange!!:shock:

Thanks ladies I think I'll give the oj a try if she's defo old enough.. I drink oj myself constantly so I don't think that will be enough.. :(
The only thing is she won't take a bottle.. Do I dilute it? Could I syringe a couple of ml in her mouth? She took calpol fine and her meds for thrush..

She HATES baths :( horrific screaming til she's fully dressed and in a blanket :(

Glad I'm not the only one with a lazy ass baby lol!! Don't feel concerned anymore just VERY LUCKY!! (I'm sure she will make up for it later in life lol!)

Belfast girl did your LO always sleep thru from a young age or did they sleep less with age? She's been like this since 4weeks (very blessed!) and I'm just worried she will stop sleeping through when she gets older and more playful in the day x

she first slept through 7 to 9ish from 12 weeks! and she is probably more lazy than yours as she is quite happy to go to sleep herself!! at 3 months she had a 45min nap every hour and a half now its more like up at 8, nap at 11, 2 and 5, down at 7. what a life!

when she is awake she is in a cracking mood as she is well rested. i think she will always like her sleep!

i think your lo will be the same - think we are the lucky ones!!

Think our babies need to do a bit of habbit swapping, Kynon needs to sleep more and poo less lol!
My friend gave her baby a little bit of very diluted prune juice before 4 months and it helped him

Lilyanna has slept thru from 4weeks and since birth has only been awake ten mins at a time after a feed lol! Sometimes she goes straight back to sleep after a feed for another four hrs even after her morning feed!! Proper lazy!! She's been more awake these past couple of days think its coz of teething or constipation :( even with that she's only awake max 3hrs in the day :shock: I wouldn't mind her more awake in the day but I'm not gonna wake her.. If she wants to sleep so be it lol! I'm just worried when she's more awake in the day coz she's older she will sleep less at night too!

Think I'll try and syringe her a ml of oj.. Feeding her ATM don't wanna give it to her too soon or it may make her sicky.. Prob give it an hr.. If that doesn't work I'll prune her lol.. When Jaycee was like this I tried everything then went n bought lots of types of prunes to try but as I was gonna prepare it she pooed lol right waste of money!! There's always oj in the house I'm an addict lol!x

I give grace a teaspoon of orange juice per ounce of water, it's really helps as she's not used to the laxative properties of have fruit/fruit juice

She's just taken some from a bottle, was a struggle tbh but she's done just under an oz.. Put oj in to cover the bottom of bottle then up to oz with boiled cooled water.. She's farted ALOT while drinking it lol but she is a good farter anyway :( bloody stinks lol!! Will see how she gets on she's very clingy and wingy which isn't like her at all :( poor bubba

Last edited:
I breqsfed Hollie for 3 months and she would go about 10 days between poos! Every baby is diffrent Hun Xxx I wouldn't be too worried, she may just not like something you've eaten Xxx

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Thanks babe.. Just worrys me coz she seems to be uncomfortable :(

The only other thing I was told to try was gentle wiping the bum with some warm cotton wool. That sometimes stimulates the muscles round the bum. My auntie told me as shes a nurse and apparently they do it in hospital if babies can't poo. It worked with my son. x

Thanks hun I'll give that a go.. My mil suggested soap around her butt hole but I don't think I could do that!!

Have you massaged her tummy in a clockwork direction? At baby massage we were also told to kind of knead thier bum cheeks too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back