No childcare during Labour?

Puglover

Reaction score
We live hundreds of miles from family, and I'm wondering how people manage with childcare when its time for labour ?

Are hospitals prepared for siblings to come in if absolutely needed, do they have a family room?

I am now considering a homebirth which ideally would be like last time - through the night while children sleep.! But obviously this isn't reality. I am thinking at least at home my hubby could be with the children in another space, as needed whilst I get on with things.

What is everyone else's thoughts on this, if you are in a similar situation?

We had one of my best friends "on call" with our second. Otherwise, we were prepared to bring our daughter with us to the hospital. Fortunately our baby came on my friend's day off so she could be with our first. Then after baby was born, my husband and daughter all slept in the hotel room overnight so we could all be there as a family.

With baby 3, we had my mom staying with us, and the day she left my in-laws arrived, they both live 600 miles away so it was tough to coordinate but I wanted my kids to be with family.

Not sure what we'll do this time, but hopefully we can organize having family in town again.

We had one of my best friends "on call" with our second. Otherwise, we were prepared to bring our daughter with us to the hospital. Fortunately our baby came on my friend's day off so she could be with our first. Then after baby was born, my husband and daughter all slept in the hotel room overnight so we could all be there as a family.

With baby 3, we had my mom staying with us, and the day she left my in-laws arrived, they both live 600 miles away so it was tough to coordinate but I wanted my kids to be with family.

Not sure what we'll do this time, but hopefully we can organize having family in town again.

That's just what we thought about doing - having family come down here for the due time. Only problem is I had both my last children 3 wks early, and the family would need to book to stay somewhere!

Im sure we will work it out when it happens, one way or the other. These things often can't be planned hey?!

There’s notmally some sort of family room, but there won’t be any staff to provide childcare and your daughter would need to be supervised. A lot of people go with homebirth for the same reason.

Yeah I guess having a friend pop in to home is much more achievable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tchotchke
Back