Nipple shields

l_maclean

Reaction score
These are my new best friend!!

After complete hit and miss with madams latch I was all for giving up this morning (not helped by my hormones) do mw suggested trying these.

Have had 2 amazing feeds since we got them. Thousand times better than before.

So happy we're on the right track.

Xxx

So glad they work for you...I had exactly the same problem but some fab midwives in the hospital wouldn't let me leave until I had mastered it. Nipples shields were suggested and are my saving grace. I still use them now over 9 weeks later and Fin is growing really really well from it. My milk flow Is good and there's plenty of it so there's no fear of him not getting enough by me using them.
So glad u have cracked it! It's so rewarding having lovely peaceful feeds with your LO....enjoy xxx

So pleased there working for you x

Gonna sound daft here, but what exactly are nipple shields and what do they do? :oooo:

Last edited:
Oh lovely, so happy for you, they didn't work for me at all, baby couldn't draw any milk.

They were a life saver for me! Glad you're getting on with them x

I use mine abotu once a day to give the nips a bit of a break!!
xxx

Gonna sound daft here, but what exactly are nipple shields and what do they do? :oooo:

Basically a silicone teet that fits over your nipple, makes it longer? So it's making it easier for her to latch - a bit more like a bottle but she still gas to suckle.

Xxx

They were the saver for me too - I've used them the whole time. Can't praise them enough!

Do these help to prevent nipple confusion then?? Xx

I think so but that's just my personal opinion. F took a bottle of expressed now and then from 4 weeks without an issue.

Pro of nipple shields-avoids nipple confusion, less painful nips
Cons-apparently may reduce amount of milk baby gets?!
Personally I haven't found that but my MW told me to try and bf without them when I could or @5mins after start of feed (when my nip is as long as poss!!) so he suckles and feeds without it but he finds it hard and drops off everytime so I have kept using them.
My boy is thriving on them and bf-ing so I'm not going to stop using them now

i only started them cos she wouldnt latch at all. i was actually expressing to bottles, so i dunno about nipple confusion.

I dont think id have tried them if she'd been feeding properly herself. xxx

In my case they have indeed caused nipple confusion, when we were at the point where I could have fed her without the shields she'd not entertain latching onto just me, she only recognises the shield. I could have tried harder I suppose but there was no real incentive to go through the hassle, it was just easier to continue on with the shields - caused no problems with supply or how much she got, the only issue was the inconvenience of having to sterilise them etc but that's not really much of a problem!

Yeah, right now in not caring about confusion, I'd rather she fed from me with a shield than was going hungry cos I was trying without, or switching too bottle.

Mine only take 2mins to sterilise in the micro, and have a wee carry container too. Xxx

These were fantastic for me I'd reccomend them to anyone! Defo a must for hospital bag!!
I don't know how they'd reduce milk flow tbh.. I never had that problem and I used them for a long time due to thrush!
So glad they've worked for you too!

Did any of you ladies using them get pain?? I know bf can be sore if the latch isn't right, but a couple of times I've actually had to unhook G it's that sore - I'm sure shields are meant to reduce the pain so I'm thinking I must have latch a bit off but dunno how to sort that. Xxx

I've only ever used shields (except first few days) and yeah, I felt pain at times - had to deep breathe and screw my eyes shut at times during the first few months.

Thanks. I tell u this bf malarky is hard work. Lol, and she's only 5 days old. Xxx

It gets easier eventually! In the meantime, make the most of sitting watching the tv while she feeds!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back