Nighttime Bottle feeding

Ooh really we never got told that. Must be diff in different areas? Or a new thing since Jan? I'd of been screwed as she hates cold milk lol and I can never seem to get it right for her even warming the ready made in boiling water for ages lol took me 30 mins once xx

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up Browneyed Girl, il def be asking midwife and HV about it x

I have bought some of the premade bottles with teats to use in the hospital once home I think I will use the thermos and top up with cold method until I start to use the Perfect prep.

I'm abit worried about switching between the room temp and warm though? i.e if he was happy to drink room temp milk whilst out (ie from a pre-made carton) and warm milk when at home is there any reason he couldn't have a mix of room temp and warm??

I'm sure he'll let me know if he isn't keen!

xx

no reason at all not to switch between :) unless he's fussy but hopefulyl wont be :) xx

For the first few days I used the little bottles of Aptamil at room temp. Then the TTPP...I was going to premake them but apparently it's the shot of boiling water that kills any bacteria? This time round I think I'm going to keep the TTPP just for downstairs as it's bloody loud! I'll do the flask of boiling water and precooled water I think xx

Yeah that was my concern about the TTPP that it's probably quite loud.. thinking the same will either just use the premade cartons for a few days or boiled/cooled water mix (worried whether i'll be able to do it accurately half asleep though!).. I was trying to work out what the best option was that will disturb everyone the least.. How do you go about using the PP at night when it's downstairs for example? If LO stirs/wakes do you quickly get up and go make a bottle on the PP before you see to them?

I did a little test with cooled formula and putting it in some boiled water to warm to see how long it took and it didn't take as long as I thought it would actually, only a couple of minutes xx

Yeah, we just ran downstairs, but found it woke us up more! Started with it in bedroom but just woke the other one up with the beeping. If it was silent my life would be complete, ha! I always gave my son room temp where poss so he wouldn't be fussy if I couldn't warm it- best decision I made as he never turned it away if cold or hot xx

Last edited:
Yea I think I will try the same, hopefully he's not fussy and will take it however! Planning on using the pre-made cartons for when we're out and about and possibly for night feeds at first so I'll try and just give them to him at room temp and use the PP during the day... I guess It'll just be trial and error! xx

Had my little boy on the 10th of July and it's funny how things never go to plan.. turns out little one doesn't like warm milk at all so won't take milk made on PP machine (well he does but then throws it up!).. so have only used it once or twice!.. I have been pre-making bottles which is much easier and quicker for night feeds.. I just keep a flask of boiled water and heat just to take the chill off but he still prefers it cold/room temp..

I also bought a fancy steriliser which was a load of faff and have ended up using cold steriliser tabs which are so much easier!!

It's safe to say I've wasted a bit of money on these fancy gadgets you really don't need!

x

Wow it is crazy how different they are. My baby is the opposite and she refuses milk unless it's made by the TT prep machine lol shes refused milk on the colder sode from day 1. Was a nightmare we couldnt use premade when out and warm up when she was little and had lots of day feeds as it would never be warm enough for her. So it was a total lifesaver for us having the PP lol

I never really used our steam sterilise either lol the MAN bottles could be sterilise in the microwave and now we just use a cold water one xx

Yeah the cold water sterilising is so much easier!

Also our PP was SO noisy!! I used it once at night and it woke everyone up even the dogs who then barked like
Crazy!! Lol why do they make it so loud!? xx

I used pre prepared milk for the first few weeks. I now use powdered milk and have a really easy system of keeping hot boiled water in a flask and cold boiled water in a jug. I just combine so that's it's slightly warm and add the scoops. I have the Philips steriliser. It's so easy - I really don't need a PP machine. I think it'd complicate matters!

My main problem was finding teats that my son would use. He became so used to the teats on the pre prepared bottles that he wouldn't take from any others. After spending a fortune, i found some cheap bottles in ASDA for a few pounds, and realised that those teats from the pre prepared bottles fit on them, as do the lids!

Bottles have to be made with boiling water to kill any bacteria on the powder. It’s also recommended not to make up bottles in advanced and put them in the fridge like most of our parents did these days as again apparently it causes bacteria issues and isn’t sterile. I used to have a jug of cold tap water and a thermos flask of water that had been boiled in the kettle left to stand in the kettle for 30 mins (as recommended on formula box) then poured into the flask. I’d also pre measure formula into little tommee tippee pots to save time. When baby woke up I’d make up the formula with all boiling water and then put the bottle in the cold water jug and swirl it around a few times. By the time I’d changed her nappy it would be cool enough to feed if not swirling the bottle in the water helped it cool quicker. I never used the perfect prep machines heard so many bad things about it. Pipes going mouldy inside regardless of regulatly changing filters and cleaning, I also heard that the cool water used to top the feed up isn’t boiled at all and is just regular tap wAter which isn’t recommended until 6 months. Also the hot shot doesn’t always cover all of the powder so doesn’t kill off all bacteria etc. Each to their own but I chose not to use and I made up my feeds as stated above. My daughter had awful reflux which the ready made bottles made her worse so we didn’t use those either. I will say however my daughter was routine fed due to feeding issues at the start of her life when breastfeeding due to tongue tie and weight loss she had to be fed by the clock so she never cried for milk. If I had a screaming baby I’m not sure I’d have the patience to wait for a bottle to cool either!

I pre-make my bottles with boiled water and cool, It's not 'recommended' but I've not had a problem.. I never make more then 2 or 3 at a time so they're not sat in the fridge for too long but it's so much easier for me.. luckily I don't have to do night feeds anymore so that makes it less stressful too.

In my opinion cooling a straight boiled water made up bottle takes forever!!.. even If I overheat a pre-prepared bottle it takes forever for it to cool..

I bought a PP machine and used it twice, my LO didn't like warm milk when he was born however even though it does want it warm now i won't be using the machine, it's more faff then just heating a bottle in boiling water!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back