Night feeds

Blueclass

Reaction score
Hi everyone keeps telling me not to wake my 4 week old for night feeds. What are you guys doing with regards to this? I'm not sure what to do. Do I wake her and risk getting in a pattern or let her wake us?

Unless there is a medical reason to wake baby to feed then no don't wake baby. Baby will wake you when hungry xx

I'm not waking ours - lucky for us she's a good sleeper at night, sometimes wakes at about 4 for a feed and gets back to sleep after, sometimes goes about 6 or 7 hours o.o I don't wake her for it, but she makes up for it in the morning ;-)

I'm pretty sure i started a thread on this to as it was a big worry. I'm sure the midwifes/hv said to wake them so they don't get dehydrated, but nearly every other person I know said not to wake them. However I listened to the medical advice and I used to set alarms and everything to remind me to wake him. At about 8-10 weeks I asked nurses and they said I don't need to anymore if he is getting enough. I'd still err on the side of phoning and asking midwife or HV's opinion.

It might depend on weight progress and if baby is getting enough or if baby might get a bit dehydrated.

He doesn't seem to have a pattern of waking based on what I used to do...he wakes when/if he is hungry and immediately goes back to sleep.

I'm sure you'll find a good pattern that works for you :) xx

Phoenix tends to eat lots at night and we've been going to sleep around midnight/1am and feeding for an hour or so laying down and then sleeping through til around 5am when I've woken and gone to the toilet and done a nappy change which always results in crying so then a good feed to re settle.
Not been letting her go longer than 3hrs really.
But we're only on day three and milk has only just started to come in so may change in a few more days.

We were told not to let Jackson go over 5h tops in the early days - because they only drink milk, thats to feed and hydrate them! And sometimes they are just in a wee deep sleep.

Once Jackson was in a 4hly feeding pattern I generally would wake him for a feed during the day only- if he wanted to settle again thats fine, but getting them up and napped during the day helps the night time sleeps.. well in my case it did. If I let Jackson sleep all though the day he would be up.

But he was able to establish a decent sleeping pattern build round his feeds. He went from 8.30 feed at 12.30 before my bedtime then that be him until 5.30 then he went down again until 7.30am. He still is a good sleeper at 3. Just hope the next one is the same.

xxxx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back