NHS help to conceive subsequent children

Unicorn

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has received any support on the NHS to conceive children although you already have previous children please?
We paid privately to see a fertility consultant before having our son and have had another child since but are really struggling to conceive again so are considering going down that route again. However, my brother and sister-in-law have just been referred to the NHS following a failed private IVF round and have been told that the waiting list for IVF in our area is only 2 weeks! I know we won't be able to have IVF as we already have children but thought it might be worth getting referred to see what they say, seeing as there's such a little wait but just wondered if anyone knows what they might help with?
We had clomid, trigger shots and progesterone to conceive our son but my day 21 blood tests, which ended up being only 5 days before af were 32 so it doesn't seem that I'm having problems with ovulating and maintaining progesterone this time, although to be honest I'm not sure I was previously but our consultant suggested it might just give us the boost we needed, which obviously worked!
I'm a bit reluctant to go back to him though as it's just so expensive and they want to do scans all the time to see exactly what's going on, which obviously isn't convenient with 2 small children. I've even considered just buying the clomid and progesterone and self medicating as we know that worked for us last time and with our ages this is the end of the line anyway but just don't know if that seems a bit irresponsible as things could have changed in the past few years, although I'm not sure they'd scan on the NHS before giving clomid anyway, in which case I might as well just wait and see! As you can see my head is all over the place, I can't believe we're back in this place again and I'm really struggling with it, so any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you xx

I wouldn’t get your hopes up to be honest. I’m not aware of any NHS regions where you can get free IVF with existing children. Some areas of the UK can’t even get 1 round funded even if you’re childless. I could be wrong through. I’d Google your local NHS CCG, you should be able to find out their criteria. I did it while I was trying for my first. I literally just googled Birmingham ccg IVF and it comes up with a document with their ivf funding information. In Brum, you can’t have any IVF if you or your partner has living children.

worth a try though in case you can it. 2 weeks is phenomenal for a waiting period! Especially considering covid caused bigger waiting lists in general. Once I was being seen by a gynaecologist and had all the fertility tests done, it took for 4 months to start the ivf process. For us, it was a group meeting to discuss how ivf works. You then had a few weeks to wait for an appt with a nurse to complete the consent forms. You can then start ivf as soon as your next period arrives. So from referral to physically starting treatment was just under 6 months. That was a few years ago to be fair. I imagine it’s different based on what part of the uk you’re in.

Sorry, as I said I know we won't be able to receive IVF, I was asking about other support, such as clomid! Xx

@Unicorn I think NHS will help you with clomid.
I have been trying for 2 years after my loss and they offered me to check if I was ovulating.
Turned out I was ovulating. So give them a call and book an appointment.

I’m having IVF through the NHS and I have a 3 year old son. I think it’s def worth a try getting referred for any fertility treatment. I didn’t realise I would get fertility help until I spoke to a private doctor. Thankfully I did xxx

That's good to know, thank you both :hug: Although it looks like I'm ovulating as well Charlotte9 so I'm not sure what they'll actually do but it's very positive to hear your situation liz85, i wish you the best of luck xx

Hi, I came across this article explaining IVF on NHS in detail, and recommend reading. Hope this helps.

Thank you. We've decided to try progesterone suppositories this month as I had symptoms of low progesterone levels last month like spotting, so we'll see how that goes for a few months whilst we wait for our appointment with the fertility clinic xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back