NHS and exams?

LynneK

Reaction score
Hi!,

Just a quick question, I'm on the baby centre app and a few of the girls recently have been talking about having their cervix checked to see if they are dilated/effaced at all.

I'm just wondering if this is routine with the NHS after so many wks? I'm 36wks on fri at my next midwife app and wondered if I should ask or if they just wait til ur 40wks?

Thanks for any info!

It's usually once you get to 40 weeks. They will offer to do a stretch and sweep and it's during this that they can see if you are favourable.

Ok brilliant :). Thank you for replying. It must be an American thing to get checked regularly then? X

I didn't have any internal exams until my sweeps and when in labour. You can refuse them if you choose to.

I rather naively assumed in my first pregnancy I could get through the whole thing with out someone having their hand up my bits!

Yep very american to get checked regularly before 40 weeks (a lot get induced before 40 weeks too)

I haven't had any internal exams but I'm expecting my first one tomorrow with my sweep. I'll be 41 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back