next stage car seat

Yeah I've seen them in but I just thought he wouldn't be in it long and ide be buying another one soon after as he's so lanky. He's off the chart for length and his dad's 6ft 6in :s

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Im confused genuinely. So as of next juneish time ie 2014 rear facing seats are compullsary for under 3s....?! Thing is g by 1.5 years is going to despise a rear seat. I mean seriously despise it. So do we just keep him in a rear facing one....please advise. Genuinely confused. And I say genuinely despise because hes so independant and nosey. He desp8ses notbbeing able to move himself at a CA of 3.5 months...I mean serious frustration x

Not from pramcentre online. There's a chicco one that I'm eyeing up. Does from birth to 4 years, faces rear until child is able to face forward. £110.

A bit more like it x

The Elleta? You might want to read the which?! Review on it if it is that one, its been labelled 'do not buy' due to poor crash tests. We spotted that but read the reviews so stayed well clear

Not from pramcentre online. There's a chicco one that I'm eyeing up. Does from birth to 4 years, faces rear until child is able to face forward. £110.

A bit more like it x

The Elleta? You might want to read the which?! Review on it if it is that one, its been labelled 'do not buy' due to poor crash tests. We spotted that but read the reviews so stayed well clear

a lot of the "rear facing till 4yrs" seats are not exactly that. They are rear facing till around 18kg, then you have to change it to forward facing

also, isofix can only be used up to 18kg. Then you have to use seatbelt.

its all so confusing!! we were looking at maxi-cosi opal, but thats another one that is apparently shit.
only tested to 50mph when the seat broke so in a higher speed impact it would be useless!

arghhhhhhhh

second hand car seats all the way here. loads of people do that here and they test them to a special store for you if they are ok. extended rear facing is the normal here so we are going with that one and this month we are going to buy 3 used and tested rear facing car seats. we had 3 second hand maxi cozi ones, that we got tested approved and ready for reselling. still pretty damn expensive even second hand...

A bit more like it x

We looked at that one, but from the description we thought it was only rear facing for babies, looks like it has to be turned round when it goes to a group 1 seat, so it's not actually an ERF seat.

I think the cheapest on Securatot is £215, but most of them are more like £275. I really have no problem paying whatever we need to, Alex's first stage car seat was £80 but we were going to get one that was about £150 (turned out it didn't fit in our car), and as somebody already said - that was only for about 10 months... this next one should last a lot longer.

Also, he's never been forward facing, so I don't see why he'd get frustrated being rear facing - that's all he's ever known, if you see what I mean?! We're lucky though because Alex very rarely goes in the car with only my OH, I'm normally there too which means I can sit in the back with him and entertain him if he does get bored on a long journey.

We went with ERF to 4yrs and have the Besafe isofix - we also have underfloor storage in our car but you can purchase foam blocks usually from your car manufacturer (which we did from Ford) in order that they can support the weight of the support leg and Besafe directly said this was suitable. Rear facing was definitely the way to go for us - Yes they are more expensive but lots of people push their babies around in £500 worth of pram that has nothing to do with safety and yet begrudge spending £300 on a car seat that could save their child's life and/or prevent them suffering a life limiting disability - no choice in my mind. John Lewis etc now are stocking and fitting with the correct training ERF car seats. :eek:)
We have a Renault Scenic, last time I looked I couldn't find anything to suggest that they make the foam blocks (but I saw that other, clearly more sensible, manufacturers do!), but I might look again. I tried to get OH to email them but he never did... might get on at him again too :lol:

Just wanted to add another vote for extended rear facing lol. They are only so expensive because demand for them is low and there's little competition between retailers, especially as a lot of the big retailers still refuse to stock them :roll: although it is getting better as people are becoming more aware of the benefits. It's just a shame well known stores like mothercare still refuse to stock them, I find it shocking that they can get away with advising parents to switch to forward facing at 9 months when the child hasn't reached the weight limit :-(

For those saying that their child wouldn't fit rear facing or wouldn't tolerate it, my son rear faced until he was almost three and he still had tons of room. He was also never bothered about facing backwards because it was all he had ever known, he didn't know he could face forwards lol and I think the same would be true for most children. I had planned to keep him rear facing until at least 4 but be learnt how to loosen and undo his straps so he wasn't safe. I decided it was safer to turn him round so I could keep an eye on him

We have the Britax multiway and we paid around £250. I would have happily paid double that though to ensure DS's safety xxx

We are far from 2nd stage yet - J is only 4m old so no rush. As I said I was eyeing it up, I have actually actively gone looking for carseats cause we are not there yet. So I haven't gotten as far as reviews and how it is in crashes ? LOL.

If they are £300 then I will be looking at a second hand one. My aunts little one is due in a booster seat soon. She has a rear facing doubt she will sell me it for the 300 or 275 or whatever they are..

I did say near the first page and was clueless - so now that I know the "requirements" I will investigate and buy a safe and affordable option.

Cheers ladies ;)
xxxxx

Last edited:
Also I don't know why people are saying I'd pay it to ensure safety, as if none of the mums are interested in their childs safety.

Obviously I will be getting a rear one, I will be getting the safest one. But if I have to buy a second hand one then so be it.

xxxxx

We are far from 2nd stage yet - J is only 4m old so no rush. As I said I was eyeing it up, I have actually actively gone looking for carseats cause we are not there yet. So I haven't gotten as far as reviews and how it is in crashes ? LOL.

If they are £300 then I will be looking at a second hand one. My aunts little one is due in a booster seat soon. She has a rear facing doubt she will sell me it for the 300 or 275 or whatever they are..

I did say near the first page and was clueless - so now that I know the "requirements" I will investigate and buy a safe and affordable option.

Cheers ladies ;)
xxxxx

I was advising you that it had poor reviews incase you did buy it without having chance to read reviews. Being so defensive seems rather unnecessary!!!

Cheers ladies ;)
xxxxx

I was advising you that it had poor reviews incase you did buy it without having chance to read reviews. Being so defensive seems rather unnecessary!!!

I agree, I thought that was a bit of an unnecessary response!

As was the second post about mums paying to ensure safety, no one was suggesting that any of the mums aren't interested in their child's safety, just that in their opinion price isn't relevant where safety is concerned.

Xxx

Im confused genuinely. So as of next juneish time ie 2014 rear facing seats are compullsary for under 3s....?! Thing is g by 1.5 years is going to despise a rear seat. I mean seriously despise it. So do we just keep him in a rear facing one....please advise. Genuinely confused. And I say genuinely despise because hes so independant and nosey. He desp8ses notbbeing able to move himself at a CA of 3.5 months...I mean serious frustration x

My G is a right nosey little bugger, but actually they can see plenty rear facing - basically she has the back seat in fornt of her but can see very well out both windows - including waving when we come out my aunts driveway. FF only difference would be she'd see back if the front seat.

Erf seats are higher and more upright than newborn so they do have a totally different view.

We also have a wee mirror on head rest so we can see her and she can see the driver. X

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

LOL I'm not meaning to come accross as defensive or sarcastic ? Obviously the cheers and the xxxxx went un noticed.

All I meant was I won't pay 300 for a carseat. I don't have a car as yet so not all clued up on what I need n don't need, I've found out from this thread and if the seat is 300 ill get it second hand?

And I was pointing out that just because I won't pay 300 for it does not mean I don't wish J not to be safe and haven't came to the point of reading reviews because we aren't ready for a carseat yet?!

Sorry if came accross blunt or defensive - wasn't meant like that xxxxx

We are going for a ERF seat but I have not made me mine up. It's between the BeSafe and the Cybex Sirona.

I don't have experience but I can imagine that as C has always been rear facing he will never know any different. Plus he is a poser and lives looking in the mirror!!xx

LOL I'm not meaning to come accross as defensive or sarcastic ? Obviously the cheers and the xxxxx went un noticed.

All I meant was I won't pay 300 for a carseat. I don't have a car as yet so not all clued up on what I need n don't need, I've found out from this thread and if the seat is 300 ill get it second hand?

And I was pointing out that just because I won't pay 300 for it does not mean I don't wish J not to be safe and haven't came to the point of reading reviews because we aren't ready for a carseat yet?!

Sorry if came accross blunt or defensive - wasn't meant like that xxxxx

You can get some that are a bit less than £300, when we were looking there was one that was around £180, that still got good safety reviews, I tried to find it for you but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called! Other than that I think second hand ERF, as long as you know the history of the seat is a good idea :) I do agree that the seats are expensive especially since we also have the forward facing equivalent of our britax seat and structurally they are essentially the same yet the rear facing one cost significantly more. I just felt after reading around that I couldn't justify NOT getting an ERF seat but if I had had the opportunity to buy a reliable second hand one I would've done xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back