next stage car seat

I think it depends on the seat. We have the maxi cosi pebble and its up to 13kg. It also reclines when put on the family fix base to give more leg room.

Should do us till she is 12-15mnths old.

As long as their head doesn't reach the top - the weight bit is more general guidance, and to do with levels of testing - i believe it's the average weight a child will become too tall.

The longer they stay rear facing the better. G can still fit her newborn one at 15months - she's on 25th line so that suggests a quarter of babies will have no need to move before this.

Contrary to popular belief (read myth!) it doesn't matter if they have to curl their legs up a bit to be rear facing - broken legs fix broken necks don't!!

Although extended rear facing seats can look expensive - remember your looking at using them up to 4years. We were £100+ for infant seat plus isofix that lasted a year, but £230 for one that should last at least 3years.!

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

I asked about this today in Mothercare. Carseats overlap in weight/age but the store assistant said around 9months would be ideal to move upto the next seat.
We are getting the Maxi Cosi Pearl as I already have the family fix.
x

Unfortunately despite many stores (mothercare, halfords etc) claiming their staff are car seat trained - this kind of information is complete rubbish. 9months absolutely NOT ideal, ideal is as late as possible!

Thank god I read this threaddd!! I don't have a car but my mum does so I haven't really been clued up on what I need. J is still in his stage one. I bought stage 2 because I thought he was too small then realised someone had pulled the straps and that's why he wasn't clipping in!! I didn't have a clue! I put him in sent him to my mums clipped in safely - she phoned the next day like he's not strapping in? We thought surely he hadn't grown THAT much in a day but the middle bit was hidden so I didn't see the bit to loosen the straps until I took the cover off. Duhhhh. LOL.

Jackson is quite long but I thought that he had hardly any room but tbh I think its jst because when he first went in the carseat he was so tootsie with loads of room!

I asked about this today in Mothercare. Carseats overlap in weight/age but the store assistant said around 9months would be ideal to move upto the next seat.
We are getting the Maxi Cosi Pearl as I already have the family fix.
x

Unfortunately despite many stores (mothercare, halfords etc) claiming their staff are car seat trained - this kind of information is complete rubbish. 9months absolutely NOT ideal, ideal is as late as possible!

Second this mothercare not knowing what they are on about. The first time we tried car seats there, the woman told us no car seat would fit in the backseat of our car??!! All I could think was I doubted VW would make a car that couldn't take car seats in this day and age! It's not that old! She was trying to convince us to put him in the front! WTF!!!

I've just looked on the Maxi cosy website re our first car seat. It says an age and weight limit of 12 months and 13kg. I'm not sure I'll get the year out of it as he's almost half that weight limit now! As for the head poking over, I reckon that will happen well before a year too! Never in all my days did I think I would be having such a tall child!!!

Lol jackson is so tall aswell, I measured him a month ago I think and he was like 28 inches! LOL xxxxx

I've just looked on the Maxi cosy website re our first car seat. It says an age and weight limit of 12 months and 13kg. I'm not sure I'll get the year out of it as he's almost half that weight limit now! As for the head poking over, I reckon that will happen well before a year too! Never in all my days did I think I would be having such a tall child!!!

There is absolutely no reason what so ever to have an age limit on a car seat. If he fits he fits, regardless of what age he is. Also remember that growth slows down, as they get a bit older.

It's all about the weight (although I admit I hadn't heard about the height thing). My LO's going to be in her group 0 seat for a little while yet. She's almost 15 months, but only approx. 9kg. Think we're going to have to get a combination group 0-1 seat when our next is born as I don't think she'll be big enough for the group 1 seats at that point!!!

Grrr I find it so annoying that most shops don't have any extended rear facing seats for us to go and look at :wall2: We're going to go to the people who run www.securatot.co.uk but it's a trek and they don't have any Saturday appointments left until the end of June (which I'm beginning to think might be too late, Alex is getting massive) so hoping to get an appointment during the week at the start of June!

Has anybody else bought a car seat from them? I emailed them in a flap 'cos none of the ERF car seats seemed to fit in our car (we have stupid underfloor storage), and she was really good - emailed us back asking lots of questions about the car etc. and she says that actually she thinks there are a few that would be suitable so fingers crossed!

Grrr I find it so annoying that most shops don't have any extended rear facing seats for us to go and look at :wall2: We're going to go to the people who run www.securatot.co.uk but it's a trek and they don't have any Saturday appointments left until the end of June (which I'm beginning to think might be too late, Alex is getting massive) so hoping to get an appointment during the week at the start of June!

Has anybody else bought a car seat from them? I emailed them in a flap 'cos none of the ERF car seats seemed to fit in our car (we have stupid underfloor storage), and she was really good - emailed us back asking lots of questions about the car etc. and she says that actually she thinks there are a few that would be suitable so fingers crossed!

we got ours from them, they were brilliant x

Using tapatalk can't see tickers

We went with ERF to 4yrs and have the Besafe isofix - we also have underfloor storage in our car but you can purchase foam blocks usually from your car manufacturer (which we did from Ford) in order that they can support the weight of the support leg and Besafe directly said this was suitable. Rear facing was definitely the way to go for us - Yes they are more expensive but lots of people push their babies around in £500 worth of pram that has nothing to do with safety and yet begrudge spending £300 on a car seat that could save their child's life and/or prevent them suffering a life limiting disability - no choice in my mind. John Lewis etc now are stocking and fitting with the correct training ERF car seats. :eek:)

Sorry but I wouldn't spend £300 on a carseat, and because I won't doesn't mean that I won't find a suitable carseat that will protect J lol ?

I didn't spend that on my pram so I do grudge paying £300 for a seat.

You don't need to spend £300 on a carseat in order for it to protect/save your child.

That's just ludacris IMO.

xxxxx

We had the problem that B was so squished in his car seat! By the time he had on his jacket he could hardly move lol! We got one of the rear facing ones which is great but I do find its a bit fiddly to get him in it especially now when he doesn't want to get in it!

I just researched the one I wanted then waited for a deal on kiddicare. Got a britax one for £80 but it was £160 in mothercare.

Sorry but I wouldn't spend £300 on a carseat, and because I won't doesn't mean that I won't find a suitable carseat that will protect J lol ?

I didn't spend that on my pram so I do grudge paying £300 for a seat.

You don't need to spend £300 on a carseat in order for it to protect/save your child.

That's just ludacris IMO.

xxxxx

watch the video on this site... http://www.rearfacing.co.uk/ this is the one that made my mind ip.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8gU9zzCGA8&feature=youtube_gdata_player
thats why its worth £300 id pay double if it was going to reduce the risks by up to 90%!! compared to foward facing for my baby!

I wasn't on about forward facing ? I'm on about paying 300 for a rear facing. There's plenty in stores that don't cost that.

That was my point.

We have the maxi cosi Tobi which is great because it's higher so he can see out the window. He went into it at 8.5 months as he was too long for his first seat. He was just over 20 lb at the Tim so just on the minimum weight.

If the laws change I don't have a hope in hell on putting him in a rear facing seat without him kneeing himself in the head.....and I can't see many 3 year olds being able to sit rear facing :s

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I wasn't on about forward facing ? I'm on about paying 300 for a rear facing. There's plenty in stores that don't cost that.

That was my point.

most rear facing are £250 +

We have the maxi cosi Tobi which is great because it's higher so he can see out the window. He went into it at 8.5 months as he was too long for his first seat. He was just over 20 lb at the Tim so just on the minimum weight.

If the laws change I don't have a hope in hell on putting him in a rear facing seat without him kneeing himself in the head.....and I can't see many 3 year olds being able to sit rear facing :s

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

they are a different layout to the first stage. Os is set back from the seat so she has room to put her legs in the gap iykwim..

Not from pramcentre online. There's a chicco one that I'm eyeing up. Does from birth to 4 years, faces rear until child is able to face forward. £110.

A bit more like it x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back