next stage car seat

michelle35uk

Reaction score
Started looking at the next stage car seats but havent a clue what to get,any recommendations

We've got the maxi cosi priorifix & it's fab! Ethan's now over 22lb, so HV advised we switched him from first car seat to next one, so he started using his a couple of weeks ago xx

This is another minefield for me so I'll be watching closely.

I asked about this today in Mothercare. Carseats overlap in weight/age but the store assistant said around 9months would be ideal to move upto the next seat.
We are getting the Maxi Cosi Pearl as I already have the family fix.
x

Does anyone know generally the weight/height for the next car seat? My lad is a big un, 13lbs 3 and 62cm at 9 weeks! I'm worried he'll be too big before he has the neck control to be forward facing!

^

I think there are car seats you can get that can be faced either way? Xx

There are, you can get rear facing car seats that go up to quite big toddlers these days although they look pretty pricey compared to some of the forward facing ones. My OH's parents said they'd contribute towards Alex's next stage car seat (we're currently trying to find one that fits our stupid car), so we're hoping to get a rear facing one.

I'll be going for a rear facing next stage seat - but I think Aaron will be in his first stage one for a while yet!

We got the maxicosi priorifix too xx

mummy to ds 11/7/11
pregnant *team pink* due 12/9/13

9 moths is the recommended minimum age to move them- the longer they are rear facing, the safer they are

In the first stage seats as long as their heads don't come about the top of the seat they are fine- it doesn't matter if they don't have a lot of leg room

The theory of this is that in an accident the massive forces obviously force your head back so if their neck is supported from the rear this is the best. The blunt bit about the legs not having room is that broken legs can be fixed, broken heads can't!

There are a few extended rear facing ones around

Harry was 10lb 10oz at birth and we only changed his seat when he was 8.5 months (to an extended rear facing one)

I've been looking at the cybex sirona. It's mega money but can stay rear facing for up to 4 years old. It can rotate to face frontwards and to the side to make it easier to put lo in. It's got a really good safety rating. I was going for the maxicosi as I too have the family fix base but now I'm undecided!! I've got a while to decide as although Mia is now 9 months old she still only weighs 16lb 7oz and is small. We had her checked in mamas and papas and they said she has quite a while before she needs moving. Maxi cosi cabriofix that we have can take up to 13kg and someone I know still has her 13 month old in it.
Safety first all the way for me :)

9 mnths is the recommended MINIMUM age. Its actually more guided by weight, 9kg, is the minumum.

that longer they are in rear facing the better. In fact the law is changing over the next few years so that babies have to stay in a rear facing seat till 15mnths.

Freya is going to be in her seat until her head starts poking over the top. It doesnt matter how cramped their legs are, they can just bend them.

so no rush here to get a new seat. When we do we fancy one of the new ones with the impact shield rather than a harness. Supposed to be safer

9 mnths is the recommended MINIMUM age. Its actually more guided by weight, 9kg, is the minumum.

that longer they are in rear facing the better. In fact the law is changing over the next few years so that babies have to stay in a rear facing seat till 15mnths.

Freya is going to be in her seat until her head starts poking over the top. It doesnt matter how cramped their legs are, they can just bend them.

so no rush here to get a new seat. When we do we fancy one of the new ones with the impact shield rather than a harness. Supposed to be safer

Totally agree with everything you've said xx

I have researched this extensively recently. It's worth joining Which? online as they have a section on car seats and safety. The impact shield seats were rated highly and I was desperate to get one of those, but the only problem was my daughter went absolutely nuts every time the shield was put on, so they do depend on the personality of your lo a little bit. I tried 4 different times in 4 different shops just to be sure, but each time she went crazy hysterical. I wasn't going to risk spending £200 on one hoping that she'd 'just get used to it'!!

just a warning from talking to our HV the other day.
She said they were told on recent training that from mid 2014 were going to have the same extended rear facing carseat laws as many other european countrys.
Rear facing until 3.
so might be worth the extra expense now rather than needing a new one next year.
Weve gone for ERF anyway, After doing a lot of research it seemed the only way to go when we realised how much safer they were :)
Using tapatalk can't see tickers

How do you know when they are too big for them? I want to keep Aaron rear facing for as long as possible. Especially as he can't sit unaided yet?

How do you know when they are too big for them? I want to keep Aaron rear facing for as long as possible. Especially as he can't sit unaided yet?

i think in just the small group 0 ones its when their head reaches the top.

Using tapatalk can't see tickers

As em says as long as their head doesn't poke above the top of the seat, they are fine in it

Legs just bend to suit!!

Will have to look at where's aarons head is

He's quite long in the torso which is worrying .. but he's got diddy legs :lol:

Anyone know the weight limit for stage 0 seat?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back