Newborn Skin - when to start using products

LaineyG

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

Mhairi is 1 month old tomorrow and I was wondering when it is okay to start using things like wipes and baby lotion etc?

I've been using only water up until now!

TBH i use wipes on JT and he's never had bum rash or anything, i also use johnsons baby bath bubbles and baby bath soap at bath time, and bedtime lotion before bed.

i guess it just depends on sensitivity of your baby's skin but JT is fine with all of this from 2 weeks old :hug:

I just used baby wipes in the end after the first couple of days. They have lotion in them anyways... Tia got a few nappy rashes but mainly around teething times...

As for the bubble baths.. I didn't really use them... Tiny ones rarely get that dirty, so water and oil suffices once a week, top and tail with water every day...

Alternatively, boots did do this lovely bath gel for new born babies... don't know if they still do it, but it makes the babies smell newborn again. I got it as a gift after Tia was born.

I found though, if I bathed Tia more than once a week with any bath gels or shampoos, her skin would dry out really quickly, then crack and sometimes bleed.... She still has a similar problem on her hands and feet nowadays...but we found out that it's dermatitis. Its the sitting them in the water which drys the skin out...

I started using baby wipes when Keeley was about 2days old.
Baby lotion and baby bath i didn't use for the first 4 weeks i think :think:

Seems so long ago now :lol:

think millie was 6 or 7 weeks when i started using baby lotion and wipes. i left it a few weeks later than suggested coz my boyf her daddy has very sensitive skin.

I'm using wipes already because it's more convenient as they are to hand when I need them.

I started using baby wipes within a few weeks (sensitive ones) and introduced bath stuff at about 2-3 months :D

I started using wipes from when Lo was 2 weeks old, and started using baby bath foam at 1 month. Still haven't started using shampoo yet though.

I still use water and cotton wool on Isaac, I've never used lotion/cream on his bum and bits, except Metanium a few times as he sometimes gets a little sore with his teething pains :( and he has a beautiful, soft, blemish free bottom :D We have about 800 wipes we've not used, I do use them more for cleaning his car seat, my hands, the dogs paws :lol:

If you use them from the start I think they're fine with LO's as they are used to them, I'd go for un-scented, un-coloured etc Try wiping yourself with a wipe on your bits, its likely your LO will have similar skin sensitivity to you. Personally they sort of burn me a bit, that's why I won't use them on Isaac.

I started using wipes and baby products on Jake when he was about 3- 4 weeks old. Jake has had nappy rash a few times so when he gets it I just use cotton wool and water instead of wipes until it clears up.

Hi

Ive used wipes, body wash,and body lotion from the time they were born i didnt know any different lol even at the hospital they supply you with wipes :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back