Newborn or 0-3? Missing anything?

I don't swaddle, but I do use wraps, which is similar as they are 'tucked in', just on you rather than wrapped up and placed in a cot etc.
I'm not getting mittens, never really used them with my last two, they preferred their hands out, and I expect it'll be too warm for them in July.
Some babygrows have integral scratch mitts, the ends of the sleeves have extra fabric you can fold over their hands, which is better as they stay on... but mine weren't keen so I didn't tend to bother with them.

Last edited:
I bought lots of beautiful newborn stuff but my 8lb 2oz girl never wore it, she was just too long. Sounds like you're well prepared kitty.

With regards to mittens I did have some and needed them as my Lo had eczema and I think it was the john Lewis sleepsuits didn't have integrated mittens. At about 5 months I packed them away but recently at 9 months I've had to dig them out again as she keeps scratching her head during the night

For some reason my Lo never liked sleeping bags so we still use blankets

I hope next time I have a slightly smaller baby so I can use my newborn stuff as I really liked it, but I know that's unlikely

I'm a paediatric nurse and swaddling can be very effective for babies who find it hard to remain settled when put down, we use it a lot because we just can't hold every baby all of the time! Not all babies need to be swaddled though and a lot of them hate it you just need to see what suits your baby x

I thought I had bought lots :lol:

Most of the stuff I have is in 0-3 rather than newborn, I've been looking for bright colours and it's hard to find them in newborn. I have seen some plain white ones in John Lewis I plan to buy with a gift card I have (3 pack of vests and 3 pack of sleepsuits).

I'm also not sure whether to get newborn or tiny baby - DD was in tiny baby for several weeks as she weighed 6lb 11oz but there's a good chance this one will be over 7lb so might not fit tiny baby. Plus cloth nappies tend to be bulkier so may need extra length for that. AND if it's really warm the baby will probably be in just a vest rather than a sleepsuit, so no point getting loads... it's so hard to know what to do. lol.
Also, even though a lot of my outfits are 0-3, some of them are tiny, whilst others are bigger, but all are still "0-3" lol.

So far I only have 2 bibs! I will buy a few more.

I have about 6 short sleeved and sleeveless vests in newborn and 1-2m/0-3m, and a load of footless rompers in various sizes. I was just buying bits here and there so I'm not even completely sure what I have.
I'm planning to wait til around March to wash everything so I can hang them on the line to dry, then I'll go through it all so I can put them in the drawer according to size (newborn on top, 0-3 etc underneath).
I have 3 pairs of socks and 2 pairs of slippersocks/bootee socks which is probably enough.
The other thing I'm planning to do is have the baby in just a nappy a lot having skin to skin in a sling etc. Clothes will probably only be needed for trips out during the first few weeks, so probably won't need too many newborn outfits.

I have 2 hats I got with babygrows (part of a set), but I'm not a fan of putting hats on newborns and it's not recommended
http://www.bellybelly.com.au/baby/no-hats-on-newborn-babies/
http://modernalternativepregnancy.com/2013/09/06/take-it-off-why-you-should-drop-your-newborns-hat/#
etc.

Agreed on the hats front - we didn't use hats at all with DD1 who was an April baby. We have used them with current bubs as its cold at the min but I'm literally whipping it off as soon as we get inside or go in car etc.

On the size issue, DD2 weighed 7lb 6 at birth & newborn stuff drowned her! DD1 was 6lb 10 & was in tiny baby for around 6 weeks. We are just breaking into the 0-3 clothes now with DD2 who has just turned 10 weeks. And yeah, massive differences between shops aren't they! I find M & S up to 1 month clothes still are big on DD2 whereas debenhams 0-3 is not that large! Craziness.

I would agree about hats - baby needs to wear one for the first 24 hours but after that you won't really use them. My lo was 6lb 3 and in newborn for about 6 weeks but he is long. Sizes really vary - I find Primark and Asda really small, M&S are quite big and Mothercare are massive. Gro bags aren't suitable for newborns and you wouldn't really use one in a Moses basket or crib anyway so you're best buying cellular blankets so you can layer baby up or down or swaddle. I wouldn't really bother about outfits as it's nice to have baby comfortable in sleepsuits for the first few weeks and people will buy you outfits anyway x

Glitter, your babies were born the same months as mine lol. My first was born in April 2004 & second was born in November 2006 :D

Glitter, your babies were born the same months as mine lol. My first was born in April 2004 & second was born in November 2006 :D

:) you were sensible enough to leave a little longer between them though! Bad planning clothes wise though, you'd think with 2 little girls we'd be able to reuse things but having them in opposite seasons ruins that plan!

If you are not confident at swaddling with blankets (I was quite good at it but my OH was useless) then swaddle bags are quite handy. I only had 1 and it was very thin so ideal for my Lo who was born at the end of may. He was only 5lb and it lasted him until about 2 months who he no longer needed to be swaddled. X

My second was 8lb 9 and 0-3 were too big. She was in newborn/ first size for a month x

I didn't get too many newborn things thinking 0-3 would cover him.. turned out he was in newborn for 2 months, and only outgrew the 0-3 months at about 16 weeks old!

On the other hand, I donated his old clothes to my cousin, and her newborn baby didn't even fit in one of the newborn outfits & went straight to 0-3 months!

Impossible to say, but a quick glance at the list sounds like you have more than enough! (I wouldn't bother with hats, especially in the summer - the hospital told us not to put them on baby at home as they can get too hot, although our flat wasn't as hot as the hospital by a long shot!) and scratch mitts - I put them on the first night, and I don't think again after that (even though he had long nails). Many sleepsuits come with integrated scratch mitts (Next's certainly do).

xx

Well yesterday I went and bought 2 x 3 packs of newborn vests, about 6 bibs, and a newborn sleepsuit with feet, and when I've compared them to the vests I already have in 0-3 the new "newborn" ones are the exact same size as most of them and only about half an inch or so shorter than the other 0-3 vests LOL.
Same with the newborn babygrow, it's the same size except the legs on the 0-3 one are about an inch longer at the most :roll:

Not buying anymore now. If it's born and it's tiny it'll just have to cope with massive clothes til I can get some "tiny baby" items lol!

My littlest turns 11 weeks on Saturday & is still in up to 1 month vests as 0-3 are massive on her lol

But yeah, I would hold off on the tiny baby till bubs arrives!

My OH cousins wife gave birth yesterday and was two weeks over due. Well their ba y weighed 9.5lb. Ouch she won't be needing tiny baby.

Well I just went through all my stuff... I have 14 vests in newborn & 0-3!! :shock: That's because last week after my post I went and bought two 3 packs of vests, 5 more bibs, and a 2 pack of socks lol.

And, I went and used my gift card so now I have another 3 newborn vests, 3 newborn babygrows/sleepsuits, on the way. And I decided to get a 3 pack of tiny baby vests as they were only £5 but with my gift card it cost me nothing.

I also went through the sleepsuits/babygrows and found I have 3 in newborn/0-3 (they are the same size lol) and 2 that are actually Tiny baby but they really aren't that much smaller so unless I have a massive baby I think I'll get a few weeks wear out of them at least (plus they were in the sale and only about £5 each)

When the John Lewis stuff arrives I'll have
7 bibs
3 tiny baby vests
2 tiny baby sleepsuits
17 newborn & 0-3 vests
6 newborn/0-3 sleepsuits (2 with matching cotton hats)
7 pairs of socks & slipper socks in newborn/0-6m
9 rompers & dungarees in 0-3m
2 large muslins.

Only things I've not bought is cardigans etc because my aunt knitted a few for my older kids when they were newborn and as far as I know my mum kept them in her loft, so I'll wait, but if it turns out she doesn't have them I'll buy just a couple. Not going to get more than one or two though as hopefully it'll be warm, on cooler days the baby can wear a vest under a babygrow and will be in a sling mostly so probably won't need a cardi or jacket most days.

Well I just went through all my stuff... I have 14 vests in newborn & 0-3!! :shock: That's because last week after my post I went and bought two 3 packs of vests, 5 more bibs, and a 2 pack of socks lol.

And, I went and used my gift card so now I have another 3 newborn vests, 3 newborn babygrows/sleepsuits, on the way. And I decided to get a 3 pack of tiny baby vests as they were only £5 but with my gift card it cost me nothing.

I also went through the sleepsuits/babygrows and found I have 3 in newborn/0-3 (they are the same size lol) and 2 that are actually Tiny baby but they really aren't that much smaller so unless I have a massive baby I think I'll get a few weeks wear out of them at least (plus they were in the sale and only about £5 each)

When the John Lewis stuff arrives I'll have
7 bibs
3 tiny baby vests
2 tiny baby sleepsuits
17 newborn & 0-3 vests
6 newborn/0-3 sleepsuits (2 with matching cotton hats)
7 pairs of socks & slipper socks in newborn/0-6m
9 rompers & dungarees in 0-3m
2 large muslins.

Only things I've not bought is cardigans etc because my aunt knitted a few for my older kids when they were newborn and as far as I know my mum kept them in her loft, so I'll wait, but if it turns out she doesn't have them I'll buy just a couple. Not going to get more than one or two though as hopefully it'll be warm, on cooler days the baby can wear a vest under a babygrow and will be in a sling mostly so probably won't need a cardi or jacket most days.

Have you managed to find any funky, colourful unisex bits? I'd love some polkadot or stripey stuff, but it's all been so expensive!

I've been picking them up a few at a time for ages now.

The only plain white things I have are the John Lewis newborn vests & baby grows.

They are expensive though.
Most of the items I bought in the sales, the only ones I paid full price for were the 2 3 packs of vests (ones with the cats and sunshine etc on) and the babygrow with the clouds on (far right in the first picture).
Bibs were full price, they were expensive for bibs, but at least they last the whole 2yrs or so lol.

Attachments

• forum1.jpg
    forum1.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 28
  • forum2.jpg
    forum2.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 25
  • forum3.jpg
    forum3.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Next baby stuff used to be incredibly funky - I worked there in my teenage years and absolutely adored some of their baby clothes for being nice and brightly coloured and really whacky designs. One baby grow really stuck out to me it was red apples all over a cream back ground lol was in like 2007 so doubt there are any left but they were so cool! Haven't been in there recently to see if their baby clothes are still awesome lol xx

Next baby stuff used to be incredibly funky - I worked there in my teenage years and absolutely adored some of their baby clothes for being nice and brightly coloured and really whacky designs. One baby grow really stuck out to me it was red apples all over a cream back ground lol was in like 2007 so doubt there are any left but they were so cool! Haven't been in there recently to see if their baby clothes are still awesome lol xx

I popped in last week and was very disappointed! Left empty handed, didn't even like their girly stuff. Perhaps the selection in our local one isn't that great xx

Aww that is such a shame! It used to be great, I have a fairly big next local to me so will pop in there when I know what I am having. Maybe try the next directory online to see if there's anything good! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back