Newborn or 0-3? Missing anything?

kittykitchn

Reaction score
Have just been through my little stash and wondering if there's anything else I should get? Would rather have too much than too little. I thought I was running low on newborn but have more stuff than I thought!
How much should I actually buy before birth if I don't know how big baby will be?

23x bibs
20x muslins/cloths
10x socks
6x grobags/bundlers/swaddler
4x booties
4x mits
2x hats

Newborn 8x vests
Newborn 27x longsleeved/sleep suits
x2 cardigans, x3 dresses, 4x leggings, 3x tops

0-3 months 11x vests
0-3 months 13x long sleeved/sleep suits
Various rompers, leggings, tops, dresses

Should I exchange any sizes for other sizes? There are also a lot of sleepsuits and not too many vests, should I buy more or exchange some?
I'll get a few more hats and I guess more outfits? I don't have many newborn yet.
I don't know about jumpers and what not as she'll be a summer baby and don't have a clue what to really dress her in! (have also got a whole stash at mothers and some more bits coming from friends)

I take it that I need to wash all of these in non-bio as well - can I do that now and store them away or best to do it later on?

Thank you!

Last edited:
It depends how big your baby is but my son was in newborn vests and sleep suits for about a week. He was 7lb 11 but very long. In fact the asda newborn didn't fit at all... Tbh i would edge towards maybe swop for more 0-3but then again you could have a baby that's in Nb for weeks

We had 2 hats and that was enough, more than enough. My boy didn't entertain the idea of hats or Mits at all and in fact we never used scratch mits at all after being a week or so old

Last edited:
I wouldn't buy anything else to be honest, just wait and see what you get as gifts once baby is born and take it from there x

It depends how big your baby is but my son was in newborn vests and sleep suits for about a week. He was 7lb 11 but very long. In fact the asda newborn didn't fit at all... Tbh i would edge towards maybe swop for more 0-3but then again you could have a baby that's in Nb for weeks

We had 2 hats and that was enough, more than enough. My boy didn't entertain the idea of hats or Mits at all and in fact we never used scratch mits at all after being a week or so old

You're not the first person to say that, but I thought I should have a few just incase. I won't buy anymore.
I may well take some newborn back then (can always re-buy after all, and luckily most were second hand anyway). If I want to keep buying I guess I'll have to get some bigger sizes! It's so difficult to not look out for more things, it makes me so happy. I guess I shouldn't have bought everything so early

Last edited:
If you want to buy nice things for your baby go right ahead, it's an exciting time and you enjoy every minute xx the shops will start to get their lovely summer outfits in soon :lol:

We bought mostly 0-3 thinking it was wise and although baby was 7lb8 everything drowned him! Even newborn looked big. I wish we had more newborn stuff now! All his first pictures are him dressed in massive clothes and the hats were just massive on his little head! Xxx

Wow you have so much!! I have no new born as I'm going to wait till nearer the time when they can give a rough estimate as to size of baby. I also don't want to waste money so thought if for the first few hours of her life her she is in something a little big that fine with me. Il send my dad to get me a newborn stash. I am also seeing family tomorrow who have girls and they are giving us loads so therefore I don't need to buy much. I'm not bothering hats as she is due June I think she will be ok, this could change. Definitely agree on nips and muslins that's a good number I need to get more. I got same amount of socks as you and not many outfits maybe 8. Al mine are 0-3 and kne 6-9 coz I really liked it. I need to get mits not sure on booties.
We are both due in June and i'm struggling with what to buy qoth regards to go bags ect. I know you have some I'm just wondering could it be to hot for things like this?? I'm not saying I won't get some I'm just on a budget as iv lost my other job and trying to keep to bits I will definitely need. So would be great to get yours and others advice on this.
I do think it's great that your so prepared wish I was!! Once I get my bits from the others I should have a better idea what I have and need. X

Wow you have so much!! I have no new born as I'm going to wait till nearer the time when they can give a rough estimate as to size of baby. I also don't want to waste money so thought if for the first few hours of her life her she is in something a little big that fine with me. Il send my dad to get me a newborn stash. I am also seeing family tomorrow who have girls and they are giving us loads so therefore I don't need to buy much. I'm not bothering hats as she is due June I think she will be ok, this could change. Definitely agree on nips and muslins that's a good number I need to get more. I got same amount of socks as you and not many outfits maybe 8. Al mine are 0-3 and kne 6-9 coz I really liked it. I need to get mits not sure on booties.
We are both due in June and i'm struggling with what to buy qoth regards to go bags ect. I know you have some I'm just wondering could it be to hot for things like this?? I'm not saying I won't get some I'm just on a budget as iv lost my other job and trying to keep to bits I will definitely need. So would be great to get yours and others advice on this.
I do think it's great that your so prepared wish I was!! Once I get my bits from the others I should have a better idea what I have and need. X

Honestly, I could have probably done it for free, people are so generous with clothing. But the enjoyment of going into Primark and getting something every week or 2 is fantastic. You're definitely sensible to wait for an estimate of size, I probably should have done the same (though most of the clothes were from a big bundle on Facebook which made it really easy).

The grobags I have got are all 0-6m (can't find newborn!) so I imagine will be too big for a while (also 1tog I believe so should be fine for summer), they've all been second hand and a couple of quid. I bought a fleecey swaddler from Ebay for £1.99 as I'm unsure whether to swaddle or not.... One thing I have bought new are these: http://www.marksandspencer.com/2-pack-of-girls-bundlers/p/p22386538?prevPage=plp ideal for 1am nappy changes and good reviews (nice and lightweight for summer too)

Last edited:
You're not early to be buying, it's good y on. Spread cost. It's, hrs f until baby is here... our baby wasn't big but he was, long! Weightwise nb should've been fine but he,was, just,so long!

Sorry if this sounds silly what is swaddle???x

Sorry if this sounds silly what is swaddle???x

When you wrap them up reeeeally tight (like they're still in the womb), either with a blanket or swaddler. They can't move their arms and it comforts them - apparently. I don't really want to be reliant on that though...

Swaddling is when you wrap baby in a swaddle wrap or blanket

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 19
I would say its unlikely baby will go straight into 0-3, my little boy was 7lb 12 and stayed in newborn for about 6 weeks. He is 12 wks now and still in 0-3 despite being on 98th centile (prob wont be for much longer tho)!
To be honest i would say muslns are not really needed as i only use one on the changing mat so its not cold to lie him on but u could use anything else to do that. A friend had a very sicky baby tho and she used a lot of them on her shoulder to protect her clothes etc so each to their own. Also agree with comments about hats - we have at least 20 and he only wore one immediately after being born. Mw and health visitor said babies dont need hats indoors. If u plan on walking with baby in a pram a lot and the weather is cold then yes but if not they will just overheat - my baby was born in Nov and i think i've used 2 of the hats! Lol x

My boy was 7lb 1oz and we didn't buy him any newborn, only 0-3. We had a few newborn things that people have is but I thought it was pointless buying that size. He was fine in 0-3, just turned back sleeves on sleep suits etc

If you will be out and about a lot with baby in the summer you may want to buy a sun hat. My lo was an end of May baby and we definately needed one.

Grow bags usually come in 0-6, 6-12 etc. A 0-6 bag is usually suitable from 8lb. We used 1 tog bags with just a vest or nappy at night in the summer when it was warm.

Looks like you have got a good set of stuff. Might be worth having a couple more vests in both sizes as you might need to change them more often if nappies leak. Depends how often you want to do washing tho. X

My lg was 6.13 and was in newborn until approx 10 weeks old so defo worth having some newborn, also the midwives made sure we had a hat on our lg in hospital as they can lose so much heat in the start and she was a June baby. We didn't use them once home. We didn't really use booties and had 3 cellular blankets which we used to swaddle. It's best not to use the gro bags until baby is over a certain weight.

I'd also get more Muslins, you'll prob use 10+ a day in the start for everything.

Last edited:
I thought I had bought lots :lol:

Most of the stuff I have is in 0-3 rather than newborn, I've been looking for bright colours and it's hard to find them in newborn. I have seen some plain white ones in John Lewis I plan to buy with a gift card I have (3 pack of vests and 3 pack of sleepsuits).

I'm also not sure whether to get newborn or tiny baby - DD was in tiny baby for several weeks as she weighed 6lb 11oz but there's a good chance this one will be over 7lb so might not fit tiny baby. Plus cloth nappies tend to be bulkier so may need extra length for that. AND if it's really warm the baby will probably be in just a vest rather than a sleepsuit, so no point getting loads... it's so hard to know what to do. lol.
Also, even though a lot of my outfits are 0-3, some of them are tiny, whilst others are bigger, but all are still "0-3" lol.

So far I only have 2 bibs! I will buy a few more.

I have about 6 short sleeved and sleeveless vests in newborn and 1-2m/0-3m, and a load of footless rompers in various sizes. I was just buying bits here and there so I'm not even completely sure what I have.
I'm planning to wait til around March to wash everything so I can hang them on the line to dry, then I'll go through it all so I can put them in the drawer according to size (newborn on top, 0-3 etc underneath).
I have 3 pairs of socks and 2 pairs of slippersocks/bootee socks which is probably enough.
The other thing I'm planning to do is have the baby in just a nappy a lot having skin to skin in a sling etc. Clothes will probably only be needed for trips out during the first few weeks, so probably won't need too many newborn outfits.

I have 2 hats I got with babygrows (part of a set), but I'm not a fan of putting hats on newborns and it's not recommended
http://www.bellybelly.com.au/baby/no-hats-on-newborn-babies/
http://modernalternativepregnancy.com/2013/09/06/take-it-off-why-you-should-drop-your-newborns-hat/#
etc.

Last edited:
My DD was in newborn for a month and she was 7lbs bang on. She was also a huge fan of being swaddled - I swaddled her for all her sleeps until she started wriggling out of it and wanted to spread out more bless her. She was always behind with sizes so 0-3 lasted til she was about 4.5 months and so on... And we had loads of clothes for her lol way too many but it all got worn! Stick with what you've got I reckon xx

I luckily didn't buy too much newborn stuff, as she was born 8lb 9oz! Little chunk only wore it for a week and that was only because she lost 9.7% of her birth weight so went down to 7lb 13oz. Maybe keep tags on some of it and you may be able to exchange it if baby is born big.

A few tips
- Don't buy too many mittens - I haven't used mine yet as I got the babygrows with mittens attatched to sleeves.
- Hardly use bibs, mainly breastfeeding but when using a bottle I tuck a muslin under neck.
- Your newborn stuff, is it up to 7.5lbs or up to 10lbs? I hardly used the 7.5lb stuff so you could exchange some of those sleepsuits maybe?
- We got bought so many clothes, some of it will only get a couple of wears as too small, so I prob wouldn't buy many outifts. Also when we were in the house baby lived in babygro/sleepsuits rather than wearing outfits.
- Buy a couple of cardigans, we sometimes if going out put her in a cute babygrow and then a cardigan over the top.

I washed all the stuff when I was 35 weeks pregnant. xx

With regards to swaddling I was given 2 different opinions - at hospital the midwifes swaddled them tightly with arms in also, when I got home and midwife visited she said to swaddle but keep arms out and not swaddle too tight. I think they say to only swaddle up to 8 weeks as it can affect their hip development, I moved on to sleepbags at 4 weeks old. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back