Newborn/Aptimal/Pooing Question!

Alipops1986

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

My son is a week old tomorrow, he's been on Aptimal 1st Milk since he was born. He drinks this fine.

However, we have started to notice that his poo is rather pellet like, and although he is still pooing I think it's starting to cause him some distress. I mentioned this to the Midwife and she suggested either expressing breast milk as it has a laxative effect or tummy massage - I really don't want to express. We have tried some tummy massage but not had huge success.

So, my question is:

1. We have been offering him an ounce of water after each feed, is this ok? We only started last night, as that seems to be worst time.
2. Is this a common problem with Aptimal, should we try different variety of Aptimal or formula altogether?

Many thanks,
Alipop x

I can't offer too much advice except some babies prefer different formulas. (My lo hates aptamil and sma made her constipated, but Hipp worked for us) However do NOT be giving a newborn baby more than 1oz of water throughout the whole day! It's extremely dangerous to give too much water! One oz a day under 6 months is enough x

Yea think my midwife said no more than 2oz of cooled boiled water per day. We have never had much probs with aptimil he's took to it ok. But I think his poo should be of a soft consistency. I would speak to midwife again :) sometimes giving him the pre made bottles can help apparently. X

Thanks ladies.

Yesterday he had half an ounce of cooled boiled water during the day, which seems to have done the trick as he had 2 much softer poos yesterday. So, I'm going to make sure I have the cooled boiled water available, just in case, but no more than one ounce.

My LO is 6 months old now, but we had lots of problems with her taking formula, then when we settled on Aptamil she was always constipated. We tried a little cooled boiled water but it didn't really help. Just make sure you don't offer too much, as it will fill baby up and offer no nutrition.

We eventually move to comfort formula which worked great. It's very thick though, so takes baby a little while to get used to it.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back