Newbie after some OPK help please!

BabyFrog

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new here (and first month ttc) but have been having a look through the forums and everyone seems very helpful... So... Would you be able to help me please? :)

I've attached a pic of my OPK yesterday (left) and today (right). Both done about 7pm after holding as long as I could. The test line is definitely getting darker, but can anyone estimate how close I am to OV?

I'm just off the pill so no idea of my cycle (after 10 years I've forgotten what it was like pre-pill!) so testing early just in case. Today is CD9 counting first day of withdrawal bleed as day 1...

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I'm new here (and first month ttc) but have been having a look through the forums and everyone seems very helpful... So... Would you be able to help me please? :)

I've attached a pic of my OPK yesterday (left) and today (right). Both done about 7pm after holding as long as I could. The test line is definitely getting darker, but can anyone estimate how close I am to OV?

I'm just off the pill so no idea of my cycle (after 10 years I've forgotten what it was like pre-pill!) so testing early just in case. Today is CD9 counting first day of withdrawal bleed as day 1...

Thanks in advance!

Hi! You could be starting to OV but I always find FMU to be much more reliable, I always forget and then stop and then test ha. Theres defo hormones there, so hopefully your on your way to Ov, you know they say the first month off the pill is the most fertile? I don't know how much truth there is in that but thats what everyone seems to say.

I count day 1 from the first time I see AF, is that what you have done?

Good luck xx

They say not tp use FMU because as its ypur longest hold without pee it can have saved up LH if you like and give a false reading. Personally Ive tested all times, you do when you can :lol:

Id count that certainly as a very near positive, infact probably about the shade I got as a positive before switching to a more sensitive brand of opks. So in your case Id say, get doing the deed :lol:

Your most likely to be fertile on the lead up to OV, and usually ypu OV 24-48hr after your first positive. Id say your pretty close.

Good luck!

xxxx

Last edited:
They say not tp use FMU because as its ypur longest hold without pee it can have saved up LH if you like and give a false reading. Personally Ive tested all times, you do when you can :lol:

Id count that certainly as a very near positive, infact probably about the shade I got as a positive before switching to a more sensitive brand of opks. So in your case Id say, get doing the deed :lol:

Your most likely to be fertile on the lead up to OV, and usually ypu OV 24-48hr after your first positive. Id say your pretty close.

Good luck!

xxxx

REALLY???? Ive always used FMU, ooooooops!! So better to test later on in the day?

(Babyfrog..... ignore my previous advice.... possibly any further info I give haha)

No wonder I got a faint line today.

Thanks for the reply Applecider. I'd heard that about the first month off the pill too - but then I've also heard loads of horror stories about people not ovulating or having periods for months! Hopefully I'll be in the first lot :) I've spent years avoiding pregnancy and then as soon as we've decided to try I just want to be pregnant NOW. Ha ha.

Yeah I counted from 1st day of AF, but because I was on the combined pill apparently it's not a real period because it's all artificial hormones. Who knows, so confusing!

I'll try again in the morning and fingers crossed!

Are you ttc too? If so good luck to you as well...

Good luck!

xxxx

REALLY???? Ive always used FMU, ooooooops!! So better to test later on in the day?

(Babyfrog..... ignore my previous advice.... possibly any further info I give haha)

I think Clear blue OPKs say FMU but any site or other OPKs Ive had say best to test from your second pee onwards so like lunchtime? Yeah if your approaching OV and hold it super long it could show as if your surge is present... I dunno how many people have had false readings though?

I tend to just OPK morning noon and night and that way youd be able to tell from comparing throughout the day.

I usually get bad OV pains and surge along side each other. This OV I OVd at work at like 9am so I suppose if I did OPK and tested it would be accurate.

Sorry Im waffling, but they mostly say test from noon onwards.

Im usually at work!! Even if I did get a surge at work, cant do anything :lol:

xxxx

Thanks for the reply Applecider. I'd heard that about the first month off the pill too - but then I've also heard loads of horror stories about people not ovulating or having periods for months! Hopefully I'll be in the first lot :) I've spent years avoiding pregnancy and then as soon as we've decided to try I just want to be pregnant NOW. Ha ha.

Yeah I counted from 1st day of AF, but because I was on the combined pill apparently it's not a real period because it's all artificial hormones. Who knows, so confusing!

I'll try again in the morning and fingers crossed!

Are you ttc too? If so good luck to you as well...

Yes TTC officially as of last month! Excited! I hope you get a nice :bfp: this month :) let us know how you get along

Thanks to you as well russellmuscle! Maybe I'll test twice a day (oh god, the obsession with weeing on a stick is starting already!).

I'm using sainsburys OPKs but have no idea how sensitive they are?!

Another (possibly stupid) question... If it says to read after 10 minutes, do you have to ignore it if gets any darker after that? Just looked at it again and I think it's ever so slightly darker than when I took the pic. Or I could be going crazy...

Oh and just to add, if your coming off the pill Id order some cheapie strips and OPK everyday because your cycles may not be regular straight away after the pill or, you might actually fall pregnant in the meantime and not know when you ovulated and when to take a home pregnany test etc.. Each month can be different.

I usually wait 10-15 mins until it dries a wee bit.
xxxx

Last edited:
Good luck to everyone then! Hope you all get your BFPs ASAP! I'm temping as well, so hopefully even if I don't get the result I want this month I'll have a better idea of my cycle (just bracing myself for disappointment ha ha)...

I always say hope for the worst anythings a bonus. But im not exactly full of optimism :lol:

xxxx

Good luck!

xxxx

I think Clear blue OPKs say FMU but any site or other OPKs Ive had say best to test from your second pee onwards so like lunchtime? Yeah if your approaching OV and hold it super long it could show as if your surge is present... I dunno how many people have had false readings though?

I tend to just OPK morning noon and night and that way youd be able to tell from comparing throughout the day.

I usually get bad OV pains and surge along side each other. This OV I OVd at work at like 9am so I suppose if I did OPK and tested it would be accurate.

Sorry Im waffling, but they mostly say test from noon onwards.

Im usually at work!! Even if I did get a surge at work, cant do anything :lol:

xxxx

Your going to get me POAS 3 times a day now, haha! :D

Good luck to everyone then! Hope you all get your BFPs ASAP! I'm temping as well, so hopefully even if I don't get the result I want this month I'll have a better idea of my cycle (just bracing myself for disappointment ha ha)...

You never know it might be this month but like you said you get to know your cycle and your body better :) Have fun and good luck

Yeah I'll buy some cheapies as well then I won't bankrupt myself before I even have a baby to provide for ha ha.

So, I tested with FMU, even lighter... I'll try again later but I'm starting to wonder if I missed the surge as my temp has jumped .3 degrees Celsius this morning. I'm hoping that's a false reading (feeling a bit like I'm getting cold) because haven't dtd as much as I would have liked the past week - hubby works shifts :(

Also should have mentioned I've been using clear blue digital with dual hormone every morning, but haven't got much faith in it as I've been at high for 5 days now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back