Needing reassurance..

Keelygracey

Reaction score
..For those who have been pregnant before and those who are currently pregnant how long did it take for you to conceive when you were timing dtd each month?

I've just read (I know google is the enemy!) that if your timing sex at the right time each month and haven't conceived after 4 months you need to go to your doctors... I have just entered the 2ww on my 5th cycle and had always thought it could take upto a year but is that if you're just having unprotected sex whenever or upto a year even if your timing everything right?

I just need some reassurance, feeling a bit fed up today..

xx

Last edited:
Hi Keeleygracey, we all have down days and this feeling will pass.

I have only had BFP once and that ended in miscarriage at 11 weeks but I have been to see a gynae consultant today and I asked all the questions I wanted to. I said we had been NTNP since the middle of last year and actively trying since March 2016.

She said trying sex for 12 months to 2 years is what they consider an adequate length of time and they wouldn't consider there to be any fertility problems before 12 months just on the basis of it not having happened yet.

In some ways I do think there would be other doctors who might have agreed to investigate fertility but that wasn't the reason for my appt. In my case though, given my m/c they have no worries over fertility.

I just thought you might like to know what the official line is xxxx

I've concieve first month of trying three times (once tracking ovulation and twice not tracking). The fourth time it has taken 6 months and that's with tracking ovulation and having sex at exactly the right times. So in my experience it can really vary. Wishing you lots of luck, TTC can get you down but you just have to keep thinking this might be your last non - pregnant month! Xx

Don't read too much into that hun, I think Elsa was told is accurate! I barely even tried for my son and got pregnant. This time round we just had sex as and when for about 3/4 months then I started to worry and fracked ovulation, I think fell pregnant on the 6 month which ended in miscarriage. Again we tracked ovulation and fell pregnant on the 6th month after my miscarriage which ended in another loss. I pretty much know now when I ovulate so don't always need to track. I'm on my 6 month since the last loss so let's see what happens :lol:

I would give it till you've been trying 9 months, I think that's a reasonable amount then go see your gp and ask for some basic reassurance tests! Fingers crossed you conceive before then :) it really does vary for every person though so don't look into it too much xx

Thank you so much ladies, definitely reassuring words and I do feel a bit better so thank you. xxx

We got our first bfp after 18 months ttc, unfortunately it ended in mc. It took another 15 months for our next bfp, which also ended in mc. After that one it took another 10 months for our next bfp (and that one was after 7 cycles of clomid). I'm hoping this one will be a keeper as I'm fed up of waiting! After the first year ttc we were referred to the fertility clinic. They said that lots of people get pregnant after referral but before treatment, so basically just by trying for another few months. I have pcos so that is why our positives took so long to happen.

Last edited:
It took seven months with my son.

TTC second baby took nine months but ended in mc, then pregnant again 3 months after but ended in mc, then pregnant again three months later but ended in mc and then pregnant again, yep you guessed it, three months later and so far so good!

I use opks and tended to get 2 days of positives so would try and DTD on both positive days. But tbh on the months I fell pregnant we didn't do anything any different to the months I didn't.

It can take a healthy couple a year to conceive and that is considered a normal timescale. That's why they don't usually start any investigations until you've been ttc for a year.

XX

Thanks ladies, it's nice to hear everyone's individual stories rather then going by statistics! Sorry some of your journeys have been so long and disheartening, I can't imagine still being in this position a year from now but I guess that's a possibility and I just need to stay positive xxxx

Hi,
Myself and my partner had a MC in 2014, after that we thought we would start trying properly, I was keeping an eye on everything, writing down everything and taking ovulation tests as well as pregnancy tests, I think because I wanted so desperately to fall I imagined symptoms. Anyway I gave up keeping an eye on cycle dates, etc at the end of may, as we got engaged. Booked things for getting married in 2017. It was always at the back of my mind so I saw my doctor on the 30/9 to see why we weren't falling at all, she took blood tests.. & on the 5/10 I got my BFP. So it was a nice surprise, just don't lose faith hun. I know how frustrating it is, everytime I got a negative result my heart would sink. Good luck and I hope you get a bfp soon ☺ x

Hi keelygracey! We have been TCC since March 2016 and I have been using OPKS since about June and dtd around this window! I thought it would be easy but every month you think there must be something wrong if I'm dtd when I'm ovulating - why isn't is happening?! But then logic tells me you have like a 20% chance every month and it takes normal couples over a year. However, that doesn't stop me every month trying something new like conceive plus, taking pregnacare etc I think next month il try this and that! Silly really! We are all in this together and this place really helps to either vent or to listen for advice I find xxx

First bfp was not trying, on pill, ended in mc, second was NTNP for about 18months I think, also ended in mc, 3rd bfp was one period after 2nd MC then bfp next cycle, also ended in MC but gives hope that I can get pregnant without too many issues which you have to look on the brightside of even if it seems I can't hold on to them.

I've fallen pregnant on the 3rd month of trying each time. but only my 1st and this time have I made it past 7 weeks. I think I have an unfussy uterus so it will accept almost anything good or bad I'm just hoping this is a good one that hangs around for the whole 9 months! My cousin has taken a long time to get pregnant each time we'll over 13 months but she's never gone through mc. X x not sure if that helps or not but I hope you find some hope in it x and I hope your not waiting too long x x

I've fallen pregnant on the 3rd month of trying each time. but only my 1st and this time have I made it past 7 weeks. I think I have an unfussy uterus so it will accept almost anything good or bad I'm just hoping this is a good one that hangs around for the whole 9 months! My cousin has taken a long time to get pregnant each time we'll over 13 months but she's never gone through mc. X x not sure if that helps or not but I hope you find some hope in it x and I hope your not waiting too long x x

Thanks Ery, I hope so too.. It really is so varied and just one big game of luck lol I hope everything goes ok this time for you xxx

I don't know if this will help you but I fell pregnant when actively trying not to I was 27. Then at 29 I fell pregnant with my son straight after coming off the pill.

With the my 2nd I started trying again when I was 32. Again got pregnant straight after coming off the pill which ended in a loss. I then didn't fall pregnant for another 7months. We used opks but generally we have sex quite a lot through the entire cycle. I was very stressed though in those 7months work was very busy I was give more responsibility, I was still grieving for the loss and our housing situation was completely up the air. So I think that played a massive part. Then I started conceiving agin every 2/3 months and had 3 more losses. Now I'm pregnant again and 33 weeks so fingers crossed will we have our rainbow baby soon xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back