Need some advice pls - head control

Babyhnumbertwo

Reaction score
Hi girls

I'm looking for some advice please re- little one head control.

He is 11 weeks and while he has some control over his head it's still a bit floppy. I'm starting to worry. Should I?

He is very alert. Kicks his legs and waves his arms with vigor, smiles and babbles away to you when you talk to him, reaches for and holds toys in front of him whilst in his bouncy chair. When I put him on his tummy he hates it, lifts his head a bit.

I had a third degree tear and then an abscess so up until recently I've fed a lot laying down with him, on our sides. I've not really done tummy time as I've had a lot of health issues, but also because my daughter didn't do it either(I wasn't told about it back then and she's 4) and she developed quickly. My boy is very laid back and I probably don't carry him as much and he's spent more time laying down playing with me. He is also a big baby and weighs about 14/15lbs

He was admitted to hospital this week after having high fever after immunisations and tested for serious infections, even had to have a lumbar puncture. :( thankfully he got the all clear and it was just a cold virus brewing on top of his jags. Anyway, I asked a couple of the peadiatric doctors about his head control and hey said he's doing fine and they all develop differently. They all said he was very bright and alert and one even said he was a chunky wee thing who looks like he has been on the mince and potatoes! They said just to do tummy time.

I never worried about my daughter development, she was fast at everything and a wee petite thing who was very fussy and I carried her constantly. But now I'm worried a bit bout my boy.

Jack had solid head control by 13 weeks. Harry has pretty solid head control but he's not quite fully in control yet and he's 15 weeks. Sorry you've had a crappy time of it! I wouldn't worry though, he sounds fine to me x

I wouldn't worry especially as the doctors didn't seem concerned. It's actually better developmentally for a baby to be laid down, whether on their tummy or back, than being sat in chairs or carried around so don't worry about that either x

My daughter only gained full head control very recently at around 14 weeks. Don't worry, they're all different little creatures!

I wouldn't worry, i was told they can only do certain things at certain times and not all together, so the fact they have developed everything else maybe they didn't have time to do the head too :)
Charlie was slow with his head too but cos if the downs I suspect: I found that he came on loads since I started playing superman round the house,
So i put hand under chest, hand through legs under belly, and take him round the house, flying like he was superman, I'd show him things in the rooms and he'd lift his head up to see the things

One day you'll wake up, and baby will have got it over night.
I do apologise I cannot read your post once I'm typing so I forgot what gender your baby was :/ else I'd say he/she xx

I wouldn't worry. My lad is 14 weeks and I wouldn't say he has excellent head control. He can hold it, but it's still a bit wobbly. We do tummy time every day which he hates! Usually he screams as soon as I put him down so not sure how much it helps. I will carry him facing me a lot in the day and he can hold his head quite well then. Your LO will pick it up eventually. As said above, babies suddenly start doing things overnight!

Our LO had some head control from the day she was born and at 6 weeks it's pretty much complete. I don't do much tummy time with her. She has a very strong kick and is working on rolling over already, on the other hand she doesnt move her hands and arms much. I just think it shows that different babies develop at different rates and tend to develop faster in some areas than others.

Last edited:
Thank you this makes me feel better. My husband had him at gp today for something else and she was doing the sit ups with him and said his head control is absolutely fine. Bloody worry about everything!!

Thanks again x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back