:-( need help in losing weight..

Stressyhead

Reaction score
I know this has probably been posted so many times before but thought I'd give it a go...

Long story short, am 26 years old, ttc our first and am a size 16. Have been yo-yoing with my weight for yearsbut I am now the biggest ive ever been at 13 stone.

I went to a party last night and the pictures taken was the first time I actually realised how big I'd become. Why is it it's so easy to tell others to lose weight but never notice it yourself until it's too late :-(

Ive got to lose weight, for my health, for ttc and to feel good again (feel really shit at the mo) :-(

I'm very limited in what I can do though- I can't exercise indoors or go to a class outdoors but I do walk to work and back every day which I'd about 2 miles, so essentially I walk 10 miles a week. Is this enough?

I hate veg and salad, but I don't mind fruit, obv wouldn't choose to eat it however I don't mind drinking orange, cranberry , apple juice, etc. Which I do now so I'm guessing cut out the crisps, choc etc?

Can anyone advise on how to lose weight quickly enough so I'm motivated (tend to lose interest if I don't see results immediately) but also not fainting (tend to have dizzy spells if
not eaten for a while!)

I know I should move more eat less etc but it's so hard - I'm just so down and trying to figure out how I ended up like this without noticing :-( x

Could you not start jogging/running to work hun, this will burn more calories than walking x x

Hi Mummy2adam, thanks for suggestion but don't think it would be practical as I wouldn't want to get to work all sweaty :-( plus I'd be running past the school kids and school mums and I'm very self conscious :-( x

Last edited:
If you cant exercise, then you need to cut down calorie intake, for losing weight it should be around 1500 kcal, food diary will help you to understand what you are eating.
It is normally very simple - move more - eat less.
You can also get DVDs you can exercise to at home

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Hiya,

If you have an app phone try downloading a diet tracker app then you can enter your current weight and how much you want to lose and it'll tell you how much calories you can have each day. When you can see the high calorie food you are eating it'll help you cut down. Myfitnesspal is a good one.

Good luck!!

While exercise helps, you have to do quite a lot to make a difference. For most people, diet has to be the biggest component in weight loss. To illustrate: if you run for 3 miles, at 13 stone you would burn about 350 calories - easily wiped out with one mars bar.

You say you have yoyo'd with our weight. This makes losing weight more challenging, as it messes with your metabolism and gives you negative associations.

For most people, I don't advocate diets. They generally don't work, as they make people obsessed with food and if they do lose weight, they tend to put it back on afterwards because a diet isn't sustainable. If you really want to lose the weight for goods you need to think of it as a lifestyle change. No temporary pain for gain, but changing how you eat and see food and exercise in the long term. I know this doesn't suit how you want it to happen (you mention quick results), but it's the only way you get to keep it!

I recommend you read or watch Paul McKenna's I can make you thin -ideally the DVD but there is a book with a CD. The core premises are simple rules to help you lose weight - so simple I actually felt stupid that I hadn't worked it out myself. He also has techniques to help with cravings or emotional eating if you have problems with these. There is no diet plan, no foods you should eat (or shouldn't) - just a shifting mindset of what eating is about. This DVD is so good because it helps you work out WHY you over eat and provides help with the root cause. I found it brilliant, I'm sure it doesn't suit everyone, but if it works for you it's a painless way to change your life.

You don't say how tall you are: this makes a big difference. 13 stone isn't majorly heavy at my height (it's overweight but not obese). If you are 5 ft 3 however, it would be a bigger problem. This is relevant in recommending a solution. If your BMI is very high and therefore you have a lot of weight to lose, it might be worth considering a supported plan to start with, like weight watchers. If you want quick results, a supported very low calorie diet like Lighter Life is often effective in the short term, but it MUST be teamed with counselling (as lighter life is) in order to support a lifestyle change and to avoid putting the weight back on.

It's a really good idea to address this once and for all while you are in your 20s. Otherwise like many women, you may spend the rest of your life yoyo dieting, which will get less and less effective as you get older and your metabolism slows down.

Counselling people to lose weight is a very large part of my job, but I also have personal experience of this. I was exactly as you describe, max 13 stone but yoyo'd through my 20s and into my 30s. I lost my excess weight in my early 30s (about 5 years ago) with the Paul McKenna method. For me this was 2 stone to bring me down to BMI 22.5 and it came off slowly over 6-9 months and never went back on. I did no exercise during this time. About 3 years ago, I decided to get fit and started running. As a lifelong couch potato, the build up was incredibly slow, but after a year I was hooked. I didn't lose any more weight, but lost fat and gained muscle so lost another 1-2 dress sizes. I'm telling you this so you know I'm not just handing out meaningless advice here - I know your circumstances are probably very different.

Good luck with whatever method you decide xx

Last edited:
Thanks so much little_angel for your insightful and detailed reply - and for taking the the time out to help :)

I've absorbed everything you said and I agree - it needs to be long term and it us all about the mindset. I am 5 foot 5 which makes my BMI 30.3 - clinically obese according to the charts.

You are so right about it only getting harder - we are ttc now and I know now is the only time I have to change this or be this way forever :-(

Funnily enough I bought Paul McKennas book and DVD a couple of years ago - and I found it didn't work for me at the time. Whether it was because I wasn't in the right frame of mind, I don't know. Maybe I'll give it another go.

I know essentially I need to change my food intake both quality and quantity, I can do this. It's just the additional exercise part that gets me. I've made myself have such a busy lifestyle I don't get time to sit down some days!

Hopefully I'll be able to sort this out once and for all xx

Last edited:
i go to slimming world, ive had major issues with food and dieting in the past and have yoyoed from a size 14 to a 22 and everything in between. gone are my days of binging and purging or total starvation but i still have the binge issues and habits so dieting is hard and i tend to sink back into old habits after the diet. this time i went for slimming world as its food combining and nothing is banned. once you get the hang of it u dont have to write anything down or count calories, just keep in mind what is a good choice and what is bad and how much bad u can get away with. its really working for me and ive lost 15lb in a month. this isnt major for my size as im 6ft and 20st now so weight falls off fast at first when i diet, up to 2lb a week is a good loss and anything is a bonus. i have at least another 5 stone to go really and im pretty sure that this time i'll get there and stay there. at my size 13stone looks positively slim lol

As a quick change, don't drink too much fruit juice, eat the fruit instead as it contains the fibre too that makes the sugar in the fruit be burnt by your body. The juice however doesn't contain this, only the sugars so you might as well just drink coke. Also only the first 150ml counts towards your 5 a day, so not worth drinking anymore. Sometimes its the little changes too that can add up. Best of luck - just think of being an active mum who can run about with her baby and focus on that image. X

Thanks ladies :)

Feel a bit better about things and have just been being sensible over last few days (not eating junk and not eating til I almost burst!)

I know it's taken me years to put on so I won't be able to lose it overnight but I'll get there, if it's slowly then it has to be :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back