Need help disciplining 2 year old

tmesis

Reaction score
We've recently changed DD's room around to accommodate a single bed as I am expecting. She has now discovered that if she shoves her plastic tree house off the top of her toy cupboard she can climb up there - which is where I found her tonight, 20 minutes after lights out.

The tree house was in pieces on the floor (not broken, it just dismantled itself from the fall) and DD was sitting on top of the cupboard. I freaked out and instead of coming up with a reasonable punishment I told her that if she climbs up there one more time I will put her tree house straight in the bin and she will never see it again.

Now, I am reasonably confident that the temptation to climb up there will be too much for DD and she will certainly do it again. I am also very attached to the tree house: it was a gift from my brother for her first birthday and there is no way I am willing to bin it. So what do I do when the inevitable happens? I can't renege on my word... can I? She will be 3 in November so not so young that she will just forget, but not really old enough to 'get' my ill thought out threat either. Help?

We all make threats in the moment that we don't really mean. It's ok to talk to her now that you've cooled down and thought about it. You can say "I was so scared and upset when I saw you up there that I said something I didn't really mean. I don't want to throw away the tree house, but we need to make sure you don't climb up there again" and then go from there. She will still respect your authority. I've had this conversation with my kids many times!

I agree with Kholl.

You also need to make sure she's safe and cannot climb up high, what is she using to climb up there? I would talk to her about how dangerous it is to climb on her cupboard and that she might get hurt.

If it were me I would just move the treehouse out of her room and anything big she can use as a ladder for the time being until she's over this phase. If she hasn't got anything to climb on then she can't get up, potentially avoiding an injury when your daughter is in her room alone.x

Thanks for the replies - very reassuring that you guys have been there too with the speaking before you think thing :) The cupboard isn't actually very high, only 2.5 feet or so, and it's really quite sturdy so not terribly dangerous but there's an outside chance she could pull out down on herself, hence my worry. Fortunately I am pleased to report that she hasn't climbed on it since the threat so maybe she did take it seriously after all!

Could you attach the furniture to the walls so they are safer? I did this for my little boys room. We also only have teddies and books in his room, all his other toys are downstairs. Ofcourse if you cant have the toys downstairs I would just take ones she can climb on and put them downstairs to pay with or even in your room at night? X

I think you better, keep that tree for while. I mean, store it in another place this time. When she cannot see it, she will not climb to it. When she grows older, put the tree back. It is a remembrance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back