need advice on dress making please!

kat1988

Reaction score
hiya basically I'm hoping to make my daughters dress for her blessing next year, it's not untill march so I've got plenty of time to practice but I'm sure sure how to go about it as I've not made anything similar before!

a few questions, how do I know what size to make it (she'll be a year old then)

and where do I start lol!?

any advice would be much appriciated, thanks! xx

I'm no expert so someone may have some better advice but I would buy a cheap dress for a one year old from a charity shop and use it to make a paper copy to give you ideas of size then you can use that to design from there or you can buy dress patterns from sewing shops and online if you wanted like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/childrens-dress-patterns?_trksid=p2045573.m2388

Hope I called a little

that does help thank u! I was thinking about raiding charity shops for material anyway as the only fabric shop in town is really expensive.

do u know of any good websites or books that might have helpful tips?

I was just about to suggest buying a charity shop cheapie to use as your template. Not sure about websites, but whenever I'm working on a new sewing project and attempting things I've never done before, I go straight to YouTube and there's usually at least one amazing tutorial to get me started :)

Good luck xx

Last edited:
Sorry don't know any websites but was going to suggest you try looking for blogs but you tube is a good ides

thanks ladies ill have a search about when the small one's asleep later and see what I can find xx

dont know if its to late but i find car boot sales are ace for fabric, sheets curtains and random rolls all show up in great colours and patterns.
Good luckw ith your project and post photos of your creations!!
x Daisy

I've already made a mock up using an old duvet cover which was surprisingly easy and went well! I did it all by hand tho so need to get the sewing machine out and do another quick practice run then will search out some material for the real thing, car boots are a fab idea, thank u!

Making your own pattern from an existing dress is a great way to do it. However when you buy a pre-made pattern from someone like vogue or butterick will have instructions as to how to lay pattern on fabric and also how much fabric you need. Where you purchase your fabric is a personal choice, however make friends with your local fabric shop. Usually there is one or more dressmakers who work there and can give you good advice and help. Whether to hand sew or use a machine is up to you, personally machine sewing is great but I have a greater sense of achievement from hand sewing. The other thing is know your material, I recently bought some which if the pattern wasn't laid the same way round would end ur looking like I was using completely different colour, which would have ruined my dress completely. The last thing is don't try to go as a beginner keep things simple. Oh and make sure u have enough material. Rather have loads left over than find you don't have enough and have to get more or worse substitute with contrasting or the closest you can find. As for cotton match it as close to the fabric colour as possible so as your stitches are as hidden as possible, unless contrasting stitches are a deliberate part of your design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back