Natural Birth with Genital Herpes

Discussion in 'Ask a Mum!' started by Louisa L, Jan 1, 2008.

  1. Louisa L

    Louisa L New Member

    Jan 1, 2008
    Likes Received:
    Hi All,
    I have had a wonderful pregnancy and enjoyed pretty much every moment. I am now 36 weeks and have what I think is a bit of a touch decision to make. I have genital herpes, and have had lesions present for most of my pregnancy (since about 18 weeks). I have been on an anti viral medication but can not shake them.

    I was always told that if I had a lesion or lesions when it came time to have the baby, I would have to have a cesarean, as there was a risk of passing the virus on to the baby (which can be very dangerous and sometimes fatal). I am now told that because I have had the virus in my system for a long time (I have had the virus for 14 years) and because I have had lesions during the pregnancy, the baby will have an immunity which should protect it during a natural labor. The anti viral medication that I have been taking should help things a little too.

    I have spoken to two mid wives, my GP and an obstetrician, and they have all agreed that the risk is still present, but minimal. They have also said that the mortality and complications rate for cesareans is higher than the risks of me passing the virus on to the baby.

    It sounds like a pretty easy to make decision, but I just want to do what is right for my baby. I would love to have a natural birth too, and I am hoping that this is not making me bias in my decision.

    If there is anyone out there who has had a lesion during birth or who has gone through any of this, I would really appreciate your words of wisdom.
    Louisa L :wave:
  2. Guadagnia

    Guadagnia Well-Known Member

    Apr 27, 2007
    Likes Received:
    Sorry no decision for me - C Section if thats the safest option for baby.

    Hope it goes well whatever you decide

  3. Sherlock

    Sherlock Well-Known Member

    Sep 23, 2007
    Likes Received:
    So if you didn't have them present when you were due to give birth you'd be ok to give birth natuarally without worry then? If so I do hope they clear up for you before then :)

    I am not in your situation, but can imagine its a difficult one to decide. If all your medical advice has said they feel a natural birth is safe, then of course consider it. A C section is a big op and not one to rush into if you do have choices/options available.

    Personally, if it were me and I was in your situation with lesions during labour itself, I'd probably opt for a C section but would wait until as late as possible to make up my mind. I know the op is a big one, but the doctors who perform it know what they are doing and will do their utmost for you and baby. But then if the risks are considered greater having a C section, its a real toughie.

    I do hope you can have more advice and have time to think about it all and come to a decision you feel comfortable with. I'm sorry I can't really help, its only my thoughts.

    :hug: :hug:
  4. trixipaws

    trixipaws Well-Known Member

    Oct 13, 2006
    Likes Received:
    i dont have herpes but after i gave birth i found out i'd had chlamydia coz i'd passed it onto my baby only she had it in her eyes :( thankfully we are both clean and well now it was easily treated but at the time i found it very distressing. if i'd known about it i wouldve treated myself while i was pregnant so that i wouldnt hav infected her. but if it was an incurable thing like herpes i would opt for the c section, coz i really would hate to risk infecting my baby. thats just me tho

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice