Nappy rash

YorksLass

Reaction score
Anybody have any advice for this? I sort of knew it was inevitable (especially after some recent poo explosions), I think she'll have problems with eczema, as both partner and I have it. Today, partner's mum put on sudocreme, but it smells really chemically :S worried it might make things worse.
We're still using disposables thus far (naty's, better for sensitive skin) but will be transitioning onto cloth soon when we get the hang of things. Will that help? She's had a very grouchy upset day and I don't think the sore bum's helping!

Weleda calendula nappy cream, I swear by it. Sudocreme works wonder when I burn myself or have spots but not on my sons bum when he has a rash. Using weleda for a maximum of a day or two and it's cleared up x

Hi I used water and cotton wool for a long time as too much wipes always gave her nappy rash. I used bepanthan nappy cream when it looked a little sore. Nappy free time helps. My friend swore by a cream from the chemist beginning with m. You will find what works best for your lo.

I look into the weleda one, thanks! We've only used cotton wool and water, no wipes at all. I thought perhaps some nappy free time - is there a good way of doing this to protect against ending up with a huge mess? Haha

Put an old towel on the changing mat on the floor and lay her on that :)

I would try coconut oil before you put a nappy on to act as a barrier (or the weleda cream, I tend to use coconut oil as my 'go to' first though lol)

I'd definitely avoid creams like sudocrem & bepanthem though as I'm not keen on the ingredients, too chemically for my liking x

I swear by weleda cream too! It's hard to get hold of where I live and I ran out. Used sudocrem and bam she got nappy rash. Used weleda again and it cleared up and stayed away :)

Also the yellow mentaniun cream is good too xx

Yellow metanium has always been a lifesaver here!! Towel or inco pad on the change mat for nappy free time. Also, we used cloth with my son and it always gave him horrific nappy rash, we'd have to do a few days of sposies to shift it when it was really bad. Think he was just sensitive to it though? X

Also, we used cloth with my son and it always gave him horrific nappy rash, we'd have to do a few days of sposies to shift it when it was really bad. Think he was just sensitive to it though? X

It can sometimes be due to the wee reacting with the washing detergent.

I would say if it's bad in cloth, 1) make sure the nappies are well rinsed, only wash them with 1/4 of the usual amount of detergent and put them on an extra rinse cycle or even a normal cycle or 'quick wash' with no detergent to get them rinsed fully. 2) use a fleece liner to make sure their bottom stays dry and is not against wet cloth. 3) consider switching detergents if it's still an issue to a gentle eco one or one specifically designed for cloth nappies.

Ah - just found a coconut oil at waitrose, will get partner to drive round there later, hope it's in stock... will see what works best on Rowan's bum. I was convinced she had diarrhoea yesterday evening, so much explosive poop, but mw reckons it's ok!

Are you BF? Poop tends to be very liquid like if BF. Metanium is good, they do an everyday barrier ointment but during flare ups the yellow one is fab! x

I swear my bepanthan and metanium for my lo. These are also good for wee rashes under their arms and neck. Girls are notorious for it. If you want to go more down a natural approach, egg white is also really good.

Also, we used cloth with my son and it always gave him horrific nappy rash, we'd have to do a few days of sposies to shift it when it was really bad. Think he was just sensitive to it though? X

It can sometimes be due to the wee reacting with the washing detergent.

I would say if it's bad in cloth, 1) make sure the nappies are well rinsed, only wash them with 1/4 of the usual amount of detergent and put them on an extra rinse cycle or even a normal cycle or 'quick wash' with no detergent to get them rinsed fully. 2) use a fleece liner to make sure their bottom stays dry and is not against wet cloth. 3) consider switching detergents if it's still an issue to a gentle eco one or one specifically designed for cloth nappies.

For 18months I tried every trick in the book, absolutely nothing worked! Don't get me wrong, it wasn't permanent nappy rash, but he got it a lot more than any other baby we knew. He might have been prone to it anyway, but he never ever had it in sposies, they always cleared it up, then we went back to cloth. And repeat!

Ahh that's a shame.

My daughter got it round her thighs but it was from the binding (used 2 part nappies). When I switched to AIO/stuffables she was fine. This time I've not got many 2 part nappies, most are the AIO kind so hopefully will be ok.

Just got the coconut oil, trying that for the last few nappies :)
She is exclusively bfed, mw reassured me that the explosions can be quite normal!

Try a diff type of nappies, we used boots for first 3 days then the pampers we got with the bounty pack and she had a reaction to them and we have never been able to use them since. Not all nappies suit all babies X

I don't think it's the nappies - these ones are designed to be non-chemical and better for sensitive skin! I think the coconut oil is actually soothing it a bit - looks better today :)
Will try the cloth soon...

Nice one, the coconut oil seems to be doing the trick - thanks!

Weleda is brilliant. I can only get it in waitrose- not sure why! Glad your LO is getting better- they do soooo many nappies at this stage it feels impossible to keep them dry (that's what I found anyway!)- no nappy time is great as much as poss

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back