Napping

ShowingPromise

Reaction score
Hi ladies, just looking for some advice on napping for my lb.

He's 5 months and typically naps x3 times a day, but only for short periods of 20 -45 mins max.
He typically sleeps 6.30pm to 5am overnight (used to be till 7am but he's got himself into a routine of waking early that I can't seem to break!) - I'm hoping if he is more rested during the day then he may sleep a little longer at night, although I'm pretty happy with his night time sleeping.

Nap times are usually around the same time each day but I don't put him in his cot for each nap as I need the flexibility of him sleeping in different places and withacertain amount of noise etc.

I've been reading that he should be napping for 60-90 mins x3 times a day, and although I hate baby books and the like that seem to think all babies are the same, I do want to make sure he's getting enough sleep and I know daytime sleep is important.

Does anyone have any suggestions that might help him nap for longer in the day? He really fights napping despite giving me lots of signs that he's feeling tired and the majority of the time he needs help to get to sleep in the day but doesn't at night/through the night generally if he wakes up.

Thanks in advance!

Edited to add that I've tried building up sleep associations for in the daytime such as putting him in a particular sleeping bag, playing lullaby etc but they don't seem to work for him.

Last edited:
I have no advice but I'll be following this! Isla's a pretty good sleeper at night too but only has a couple of short naps during the day -half an hourish about 3 times maybe x

I tried the pick up/put down method this morning for his nap and so far it's worked well... Fx he can nap for a little longer if he's in a deeper sleep to start with!

No advice either. My son is 6 months on Friday and only naps 20 mins max in the morning and same in afternoon. Goes to bed at 6pm and sleeps through until 6.30am. He's just not fussed for sleeping during the day. I'm happy with that as he sleeps all night. My daughter used to do am hour morning and afternoon. All babies are different xxx

He slept for over 90 mins this morning which is unheard of! I've just got this gut feeling that he needs a bit more sleep in the day, he gets cranky in the evenings and I'm not bringing his bedtime earlier, he goes up for bath at 6 as it is. When I go back to work I'll need to push that back as it is :(

My daughter also doesn't nap. When she is really good, we can get maybe 2x 1 hour naps. Whenever she is going through a development/feeling poorly/teething it's the naps that take the brunt rather than nighttime (so so lucky!), but it still makes the day time difficult especially when my son is home from preschool. She's crawling too and interested in all things she shouldn't be.

I have no idea how to extend the naps, it is ruddy frustrating, but just clinging to the fact that she sleeps all night (6-7.30am usually, but today she woke at 6.45am and even that felt like a shocker to us!). I also do pick up, put down for nap time but it just ends up getting silly and frankly I don't have time for the faffing with a three year old being a tantruming nightmare.

Thanks for the reply rooster - do you rock your lo off to sleep for naps when you don't use put down/pick up? We've had a really positive first day using that technique but then it's just me and lo at home!

I never rock her. I put her in and say 'night night' and leave. If she isn't settled after 5 mins I go in, give her a cuddle to settle her down, and repeat. If it drags on for say 20 mins with no joy, I give up and try again in another 20 mins or so, if it still doesn't work she stays up (for naps, if it were nighttime i'd be more persistent).

Last edited:
My little boy is nearly one and post newborn stage has only ever been a cat napper, aside from the occasional hour here and there. Very frustrating but I've got used to it now. Have tried everything to get him to go longer but I think some babies are just like this. Though fx you have more luck than me! Like you say they 'should' be napping for longer, but no babies are the same and these books are no help sometimes and just make you worry. He's having a good chunk of sleep overnight which is great. He's still relatively young so hopefully will get the idea of day naps soon without the fight. My lb used to be like this, it just takes perseverance and sleep cues as you're doing x

Last edited:
Thanks candymycandy, I've had to put it on hold a little as my lo woke with a cold starting this morning :( not sure it's fair to alter our routine when he's poorly but when he's back to himself I'll be able to be more consistent with it.
As you say, at least he will get into an easier nap routine even if I can't get him to sleep longer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back