Napping too much? Napping too little? Another sleep query

Shepherdess

Reaction score
Hi girls

Firstly I'm not someone that expects my Lo to sleep through the night. She's a baby and I get that but I'm exhausted. Once or twice a night would be fine by this is too much

My lg is 8.5 months old. At about 6 months old she started waking every hour during the night and it was really tough. At nearly 7 months we used controlled crying (not what this thread is about) and that really worked for us. She was up once or twice a night after that. However over the festive period things kind of slipped and we weren't always sleeping at home or there were people here until late etc

Now we are back to her being up every 1.5 hours until 3am then every hour and I'm shattered. The last two days she's woken up at 5.30 and that's her ready for the day there's no putting her back to sleep. Again I wouldn't mind this if I was getting sleep during the night but I'm not

Any ideas?

CC is not currently something I can do. My oh is very busy at work and therefore needs his sleep and doing CC needs more of a team effort than we can do ATM.
I also do not want to co-sleep. She does come into our bed at 4 or 5 but I don't sleep when she is in bed with me. I've tried it properly in the past but it's just not for me

It had been suggested she's napping too little but I think she naps a decent amount. She usually naps for an hour in the morning and for 1-2h in the afternoon. Some days she has three naps but the last couple of weeks she seems to be transitioning into two naps. She currently goes to bed between 8 and 830. Any earlier and she just cries and cries

Thanks if you managed to read this far

The only thing I can think of is a leap or sleep regression?

Sorry I'm not sure. Is she teething/poorly? Or separation anxiety?

It sounds so so tough. You both must be exhausted. I'm not sure whether it is down to naps. Sounds like she naps a decent amount... does she seem tired during the day?

No wonder your exhausted! I remember going through a period of this around weaning stage and the only thing that would settle her was a bottle of milk. Not ideal but it worked for us at the time and she stopped taking it when she stopped wakening. Teeth could be a probable cause too, if you think it could be then nurofen before bed is great cos it's longer lasting and can be alternated with Calpol. I remember trying a small bowl of porridge just before bed too and this seemed to help get her further also. Napping doesn't seem to be an issue for you, I'd say that's about right x

Thanks for the replies, I don't think it's teething and I am thinking its separation anxiety, I think it's my fault, for naps she usually falls asleep playing with my hair or face, I need to stop this but it's always been easy as during he day she falls asleep in minutes. Last night was up at 11, 12, 230-340, 430 and then up for the day at 545 :( so tired

Oh golly poor you. I did write a reply yesterday but I lost it when I went to send it and I rarely get time to post on here much,

Just wanted to give you my hugs and also put it to you that controlled crying may not be 'as bad' as the first time? I agree with you that it needs your commitment and perhaps all might loose a bit of sleep but I have to say that second time I tried controlled crying it only took one night for him (and very little crying) to get it and he went back to his proper sleeping the second night. This was after he regressed and was poorly and wanted me to sit in his room every time he woke up which when he is bad was hourly like you. I was surprised it was almost like I was unsettling him by trying to help him get back to sleep when all he needed was a bit of time to go back to sleep?

I think she sounds like she is napping enough, and I wouldn't limit naps or anything like that as it can make them overtired and wake more?
X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back