Naming our little lady!!

mummywanabe

Reaction score
So we're having a little girl, we're both Irish so have decided we are going for a traditional Irish name our list so far is

Aoife Roisin. Which is pronounced ee-fa rosh-een
Eireann Roisin which is pronounced Air-Ann rosh-een
Niamh Roisin which is pronounced Neev Rosh-een

Roisin is the Irish version of my mums name rosaleen, it means little rose, everyone we know has named their child with a middle name of Rose which we had originally intended but decided to go for the Irish to change it up a little.

I'm sure some of you may find them quite strange if you're not familiar with Irish names but these 3 are probably as common as Laura and Emma would be in UK.

I love them all niamh is my fave though. I love the Celtic names I wanted a few of the more unusual ones to honour my Irish heritage but I think I've been vetoed lol

Personally I love Niamh Roisin. I think Niamh is one of those names that works for a cute little girl, a teenager and a professional adult woman (or wild adventurer) just as well, and it sounds really nice to boot. Roisin always sounds a bit rebellious to me which I like too :)

I love the name niamh, I wanted that for my second but OH didn't like it. I also really like Aoife off your list x

Do you live in Ireland? I'm in Wales and there are a few Irish names around here too (which I suppose it isn't that far away really!). Not heard your second one before and I think that is my favourite.

Yes we live in Ireland well Northern Ireland but the names wouldn't be uncommon to hear.
Aoife mean's beauty and was an Irish princess warrior in stories
Éireann means Ireland
Niamh means radiance and was the daughter of a queen from the land of Tír na nóg (land of eternal youth)
We like our fairy stories lol
Her dad and I have very Irish names our son is Ryan which is also an Irish mane but I preferred the English spelling for his, his name means little King .

Thanks girls I think we're down to Aoife and Niamh now so just got a sit down with hubby and figure out what her name will be

I used to look after a little girl called Caoimhe (Kee-va) x

Think we've decided on Niamh but going to wait until she's born to decide 100%

I used to look after a little girl called Caoimhe (Kee-va) x

I LOVE this name!! I wanted to use it-- my husband's family is all from
Ireland and I have some Irish heritage... but we live in the US and it would be mispronounced 100% of the time.

Aiofe .. :)

My little girl is Sinead Jayne Quinn (Daddys half irish) we like irish names i just cant spell most of them ����

They can be tricky enough to spell but a lot of them are quite common here so wouldn't be too difficult unless we went away to a different country

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rania89
Back