Naming baby before you leave hospital?

Tiny Sue

Reaction score
I have been told that the hospitals here won't let you leave unless you have named your little one!

I thouht this was weird and that my friend was pulling my leg because we still haven't decided on a boy's name, but my SIL tells me it's true!

I'd heard of not leaving without a car seat, but not leaving without a name?

And then a Hungarian friend of mine told me that a friend of hers didn't name her baby for almost 9 months - she was just "the baby" - how strange.

Sue

It's not true - well not down here anyway, your baby will just have 'male infant and your surname' or somrthing to that effect on their tags.

You have up to six weeks to register your baby and only then will you need a definate name.

That's a loads of twaddle I reckon!

The rules regarding naming and registering little one as I have them in my maternity notes are....

In England and Wales you have until baby is 42days old (6weeks)
In Scotland you have until baby is 21 days old (3weeks)
In Ireland you have until baby is 3 months old !!

After this time the choice then reverts to your midwife who will pick the name for you :shock:

hth xx

Funny that Sami - we aren't allotted midwives here at all as far as I can see! :shock:

And the funny thing is that in most areas in the past if you hadn't picked a name by the date the baby was to be christened - which was early enough in those days, two or three weeks, then the PRIEST would have a say! We had one priest in the area who would refer to the calendar and name the poor child after the saint whose day the christening fell on! I know a man who was called Cyril Methodius because his parents couldn't decide what to call him! This is true! :shock:

*starts looking up baby names like mad* :lol:

Sue

lol, i'm glad we have already picked the name for our LO!!!

I'm sure the hospital wouldn't care if the baby had a name or not? It sounds very strange, they will want you out to make room for someone else I think.

If all else fails, tell them you're calling it Bob. :lol:

Love the Christmas tree, urchin, it's really you!

Off to the doctor...wish me luck!

Sue

Tiny Sue said:
Funny that Sami - we aren't allotted midwives here at all as far as I can see! :shock:

Don't you get a midwife who visits you after you come out of hospital??

Good luck at the docs x

hehehe

I have 3 new christmas avs that change randomly.

I KNOW it's very early, but if i don't do it now i might not get the chance (hopefully the baby will arrive and I'll be way too busy!)

Someone I work with had twins a couple of years ago and they were adament that they were going to have a boy and a girl so they worked out a name for each, but they came out and they were both the same sex :roll: :roll: , so they were called 'baby1' and 'baby2' for many weeks afterwards!

what i found frustrating with Joshua was that even though he had Jon's surname of Ion, he was referred as baby Boys (my maiden name). Even the doctor surgery, i had terrible trouble changing his surname. up until he was about 5 months he was still referred as Joshua Boys. This time i am married so it will be better.

bloody annoying though

and Sue, please dont let a priest pick your baby's name. lol

x

what i found frustrating with Joshua was that even though he had Jon's surname of Ion, he was referred as baby Boys (my maiden name). Even the doctor surgery, i had terrible trouble changing his surname. up until he was about 5 months he was still referred as Joshua Boys. This time i am married so it will be better.

bloody annoying though

and Sue, please dont let a priest pick your baby's name. lol

x

Nope...don't worry! Most priests are okay though. The priest who married us said Mass at our house recently and his idea of grace before lunch was "rub-a-dub-dub, thanks for the grub" :lol:

We had to "fire" a priest - my local curate- when our wedding was coming up because we had asked a family friend to perform the ceremony. This man just said "and I will concelebrate of course", and we don't know him very well and didn't like him! So after a few weeks my husband, who is a little more assertive than I, went to see him and said - er...thanks but no thanks...

And even at that two more priests turned up on the day - we thought as guests - and robed up to concelebrate anyway!

But we liked those priests so it was ok*LOL*

As it happened we lost the rings before the ceremony (parish secretary=interfering old bat) and if it hadn't been for one of the superfluous priests we wouldn't have found them and I would have been married with a ring several sizes too big! Or a cheese and onion hula hoop!

:shock: Is it just me or does our wedding sound like an episode of Father Ted? :shock:

*L*

Sue

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back