Naming baby after people

Nickinakinoo

Reaction score
I've been thinking a lot about names and I'm pretty certain I'll be needing girls names. I'd like to use my best friends name as a middle name, I mentioned it to someone and they said it's a bit weird! (Not the name but using it)

My fav first names are Riley or Elliot

If you like the name why not?

Jackson took OHs surname, I didnt like double barrelled name so I named him Jackson Derek, Derek being after my dad. I wanted something from me in there if not my family name.

Its your child? I dont undrstand why people would cal it weird because you like a name for a middle name that your friend by chance has. Lol.

xxxx

Last edited:
TBH it bothers me when people are negative about your name choices at all. It's not up to them.

It's one thing if you are genuinely asking which people prefer and they choose one name over another, but to outright be negative about a name you've already said you like or are considering is just rude to me lol.
I've seen name posts on here with names I dislike, but it's not my baby so not my business. If I don't like it I say nothing, the most I've said is "I'm not keen on this name" or "that name might sound better with your surname" etc. I wouldn't outright go "ugh, I hate that name" like some people think it's ok to do LOL! (not on here I'm just meaning in general)

Last time I loved the name Kiara and wanted it for DD but when I told family they were overly negative about it which bothered me.
In the end I decided she suited the name her dad preferred, but I do think it was spoiled by people saying they didn't like my choice.

This time if I have a girl I will almost definitely be having Kiara as the middle name.

I'm not telling anyone I know what my name choices are so they can't be opinionated about it lol. It will simply be a case of after the baby is born I will say "this is xxxx" and they can like it or lump it lol.

Last edited:
My son has 2 middle names - they represent both his grandad a and great grandads ( funnily enough me end hubby both have dads with same name end grandads too lol
New baby will incorporate Anne/Anna to honour my grandma, aunt, great grandma, great great sound, great great grandma (family name lol)

I do t see it as an issue

Name your baby what you want to name your baby. My daughter is named after my great grandmother (it's also a name I love), her middles names are my name and my grandmothers name... so no I don't think it is weird at all!

I'm in a group of four very close friends, two of us who are called Helen. One of the four (not the other Helen!) gave her daughter the middle name Helen. I think she liked it anyway, but I won't lie, it felt really special! I would go for it!

My daughter's middle name is my best friend's name. She was very poorly with cancer when my daughter was born, and died a few weeks later. I don't see anything weird about naming you children after people you love. xx

Last edited:
Ds is named after hub us grandpa and both babies have their grandparents names as their middle names. My parents are both named after their parents. I don't think it's weird. Have you asked your friend what they think?

I don't think it's weird at all. My son has two middle names, one is after his paternal grandfather (who passed away years ago) and the other is my dad's middle name and was also my grandfather's name.

I don't think it's weird either, we've given my LO my oh's surname but her middle name is a name which is throughout my family as I wanted a part of my family to go on and it all sounds good together

My daughter's middle name (Nicola) is from my sister, who happens to be my best friend in the whole world. I didn't (and still don't) give a stuff if others think it's weird. Both my daughter and my sister are very precious to me, so it felt right.

If using your friends name feels right to you, then that's all that matters xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back