Both of our dads have passed away
Mines was Alexander
His was John
Both fairly decent names

I like the idea of calling a boy Alexander- John
Double barreling the name and he'd be called A J mainly for short

My husband says no. John will be the middle name
I don't have a middle name so im not bothered
Plus if his names just Alexander then John he will just be called Alex in school which isn't his name

Also, his cousin (who is like his sister) had a baby recently which she named Alex
So although I want it to be AJ I don't want him to be named Alex at all

Which moves onto my next issue
If its a girl
His mums name is Jane which is fine
But my mums name is Agnes, which is very old fashioned

I can't name boys after dads but not girls after mums, can I?

And then my final issue, say I had 2 boys, first one named after both dads, the second wouldn't be named after anyone!

So, basically, it all hurts my head :( ha

My DD has my mums first name ( she is known by her middle name though, as is my mum. Lol)

DH Is named after his dad ( but uses middle name) if we had a boy we'd do that. But is younger brother is named after no one, and neither was his older sister.

Plan at moment is for this one to be after his older sis I think. But lots of people have one child named after someone.

My neice has a family name, nephew doesn't. My cousin has his dads/granddad name, and is brothers is no one else's.

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

So its fairly common to name after some and not the other

I think id feel bad for my mum though
Although I doubt she would want her named Agnes either so who knows, ha x

Just call him AJ as his actual name? Then u can explain to him why he was named that so it means just as much really??

my lg has my mums name as her middle name and this one will have OH name as a middle name xx

I suggested his name be AJ
I got looked at as if I was crazy
I'll broach it again though lol x

You could have Alexandra for a girl?

What about Alexander John as middle names? My LO is Harry Robert John (Robert after my late dad and John after OHs dad) x

My sons middle name is John James after both our grandads, but we are expecting a little girl in July and we said altho it'd be nice todo the same and name her after our grandmas, we don't think "something Thelma Sheila" would be fair on the child haha!!! My grandma totally understands tho and made a joke about it. So don't worry too much about future children. We won't be using a family name this time round x

Xx

John for a boy Alexandra Jane for a girl? You dont need to tell anyone the names youre thinking of, at first I had only family names now ive scrapped them all together and gone for something totally different

Could you not name him alexander-john on the birth certificate but call him AJ as he's growing up? Then when hes at school and that you can request they call him AJ? If that makes sense?
I dont think you need to feel obligated to name a girl after both of your mums because i think theyd understand that its for sentimental reasons that you've used your dads names in the first place.
I hope i make sense? I've been out in the sun for a little bit too long! Xxx

Last edited:
Don't double barrel the first name, my mum did that to me (Carlee-Anne) and I hated it and constantly got picked on for "having too many names", kids are cruel and a bit stupid sometimes, I have NEVER been called by my full double barrelled name by my mum either. I dropped the hyphen as soon as I was 18 by deed poll.
Alexander is a lovely name (my husbands name is Alex, not Alexander), so I quite like Alex for a boys name anyway :)
Alexandra is very cute too :)

If you don't tell your family what names you're thinking about, nobody will be offended if your child doesn't get named after them :)

I agree about the dislike of double barrelled first names.
I was at a soft play area last week when this dad with a very broad scouse accent shouted "Daisy-May, where are ya Daisy-May?" Sent shivers down my spine. And you just know they've spelt it Mai! x

In Scotland we've had a bad habit of sticking ina on the end of any boys name to make it a girl's name. I work with older people and have known an alexina, alexandrina, jamesina, andrewina (pronounced andrina). :)

Last edited:
I gave my girl 2 first names (Daisy Grace) but they are not hyphenated. The reasons are-grace was my great grans name and is very special to my mums side of of the family. I wanted just grace but my step brothers new girlfriend had a little girl called grace so that ment that potentially my mum and stepdad would have 2 grand daughters with the same name-assuming that they were to marry. So this was out. We both loved Daisy and decided to go with the 2 names together-after much debate I admit. We didnt hyphenate as I wanted to leave the option of just daisy to her or she can be daisy grace when shes older-what ever she wants.

So many people have told me they think her name is pretty and its especially important to my family.

I wouldn't worry about what the future may hold-go with what you love now. Cause at the end of the day you wont please everyone. Xxxx

tapatalking

I'll see if its a boy or girl first and debate it out then I think x

In Scotland we've had a bad habit of sticking ina on the end of any boys name to make it a girl's name. I work with older people and have known an alexina, alexandrina, jamesina, andrewina (pronounced andrina). :)

My gran was Andrewina! (We're Glaswegian) and got called Rena for short. Never known anyone to know this as an actual name before! Kinda thought it was made up to be honest! lol

Back on topic, I like AJ as a name in itself and I'm also biased cos I love the name John (my oh's name). Classic and not common nowadays. Alexandra for a girl is lovely too. You can't please everyone so just go with what you like xxx

Yeah one of my colleagues is andrewina. I also came across a donaldina, I swear ina just gets stuck on the end.does give more options for naming girls after male relies!

Id avoid the hyphen myself too

If you want AJ as actual name id have it on birth cert or i have a feeling the very boring school system would refuse and call him alexander - john as you have to submit birth cert when applying, there a bit by the book at my kids schools snd may think using what they deem to be a nickname will start a whole barage of kids doing the same, sorry i hate the school system, so much red tape!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back