my week in the hospital!

DarcyHodge

Reaction score
Bit of a long one and overdue as she's now 10 weeks old but here goes.

Basically my little nugget refused to come out. I went in to get induced on the Thursday, I was 41+4. At 8am we traveled to the hospital and got checked into the ward, I was shocked I thought hold the boat where's my private room haha. The midwife came round and explained the process, I was examined and had the first pill inserted about 10am and got hooked up to all the machines, we went for a wander round the hospital and annoyed the other girls on the ward by laughing our heads off watching YouTube. Examined six hours later and nothing only dilated 1cm so another pill inserted and told I would be staying the night. Husband swans off home and I try get some snooze (hard to do when people start going into natural labour). Checked in the morning and got told I was 2cm and waters could be broken I would be taken to labour and delivery when a bed was free, this never happened as girl came and went all having their baby's before me, it was like that episode of friends where Rachel's left till last. I'm a chilled girl so wasn't to fussed and I wasn't in any pain at all, but I did get a little frustrated when the midwife came at 8pm to tell me there wasn't any beds and I wouldn't get down that night.
I woke up in the Saturday to a completely empty ward so put the tunes on, showered, did my hair and put a full face of makeup on :)
My husband arrived and we were taken to labour and delivery, firstly I had the cannula put in for the induction drugs and ouch, holy crap that hurt, waters were broken and a clip was attached to her head as they kept loosing her heartbeat, then a second clip was put on as the first one was faulty. I was hooked up to the drip to speed things along and thought yeah I can handle this, we were all chatting having a laugh watching the soaps. I must have started pulling funny faces because I got handed the gas and air and wow that was hillarious, I couldn't stop laughing and kept asking everyone if I had a funny voice. That started to wear off so I asked for the next thing up the line which was the shot of morphine that you drink, watched happy feet and had a wee dance around the room, when my back started to feel like it was on fire, the baby had flipped round and was now back to back. I couldn't handle it so asked for an epidural, I had to wait an hour, so the girl try's four times and is like I'm going to phone my boss he's oncall, she comes back and says if I'm ok she's gonna try again, so another three attempts later she says she's going to phone him to come in as I've got a curved spine and she's finding it difficult, I said no don't bother I'll suffer the pain. I only screamed once when a doctor checked me as she really hurt me (mum said she was probably trying to stretch my cervix, as I got checked a few times after and was fine)
Anyway it's 10pm and I've been stuck at 5cms for ten hours, I was asked what my thoughts on a c section would be, by this point I was really ready to meet her and so tired I was like lets do this. Getting the spinal was a bit easier than epidural, it still took him three attempts, but I'm thankful as the next step was a general and I would have missed everything. So I'm sprawled out like Jesus on the table and I swear it took about 15mins from the spinal for her to come out.
When I heard that first cry I bawled my eyes out, I could barely see her for tears of joy.
So my big pudding Sophie Ellen Hodge was born on 15/4/17 weighing a massive 10lbs9oz so I'm very glad she was a sunroof baby.

Round of applause if you made it to the bottom :)

Sounds like a very hectic but wonderful story. 10lbs?! Wow, what a weight! Do you have any lovely photos to share of her? :)

I forgot to write the reason I ended up staying for a week was my stupid husband passed on his germs and I got really sick and they wouldn't let me home. I'll try figure out how to put up pics it's been a while.

She's a little stunner, congratulations. What a story as well :)

Ahh she is gorgeous! Sounds like a very frustrating time but glad all was ok for you both xx

Aww fantastic you seemed to have coped well! She's a beauty!

Thank you everyone, she's a little trouble maker but I wouldn't have her any other way x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back