My vegan food journal

MrsR

Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to pop this as it doesn't come under parenting journals really and I'm not sure it comes under the diary heading either? Anyway, I've been eating vegan since after Christmas and wanted somewhere to put my recipes, experiences, successes and failures :) so here goes!

I will be stalking hun as i have dairy and egg intolerant son so would love to see how you get on! Going to.try that choc cake recipe this weekend

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

I made smokey joes yesterday, it was only for me as the children weren't home for dinner. The recipe called for 2 small aubergines that I substituted red pepper for and 2 small courgettes that I substituted broccoli for.

Recipe:
2 red peppers
2 tbsp olive oil
300g broccoli chopped into strips
1 onion finely chopped
2 garlic cloves crushed
6 small/3 large whole wheat tortilla wraps
1 little gem lettuce shredded
210g can red kidney beans
Tabasco sauce to taste
3 tbsp chopped coriander
Salt and black pepper

To garnish:
Lime wedges

Grill the red peppers either under the grill or over a flame until skin is blackened and charred. Allow to cool then skin and chop.
Heat 1tbsp of oil in pan and add the broccoli. Fry until tender and remove with a slotted spoon. Set aside.
Heat the remaining oil in pan, add onion and fry until soft. Add garlic and fry for two more minutes. Add the red peppers and heat through.
Drain the kidney beans and add to the red pepper mixture with the broccoli and heat well with the Tabasco and coriander. Season to taste.
Put the lettuce and any other salad you might want (I added bean sprouts) onto a plate, warm the tortillas and put those on a plate (I used large tortillas so I cut them in quarters). Place the red pepper/broccoli mixture in a bowl (I would have done separate bowls for the children as I like a lot of Tabasco in mine) and serve with like wedges on the side. Dig in!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21359390819.294119.jpg

I will be stalking hun as i have dairy and egg intolerant son so would love to see how you get on! Going to.try that choc cake recipe this weekend

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

I thought of you when I decided to do this! I've just made a plain sponge cake so once I've tried it I'll let you know :)

So far I've tried:
Hazelnut milk-love
Soya milk-like
Soya butter-love
Vanilla soya milk-like
Dairy free/egg free/gluten free chocolate lollies from asda-love
Dairy/egg/gluten free mint chocolate from holland and barretts-love
Dairy/egg/gluten free chocolate from h&b-dislike
Dairy/egg/gluten free coffee chocolate from h&b-like

Chestnut sofrito

1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 inch fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1 sweet potato, peeled, halved lengthways and thickly sliced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
400g tin chopped tomatoes
450ml veg stock (either homemade or with vegan stick cubes)
250g can/packet/fresh chestnuts (cooked if fresh)
400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1tsp turmeric
1 cinnamon stick, halved
Salt and black pepper

To serve:
175g couscous
100g green beans
Juice of 1 orange
4 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

Heat the oil in a casserole/oven proof pan, add the onion and fry until soft. Stir I. The garlic and ginger and cook for 2 more minutes

Add the sweet potato, carrots, tomatoes and stock to the onions, with the chestnuts (I chopped mine) and chickpeas. Bring to the boil, stirring. Add the turmeric, cinnamon and seasoning.

Cover and cook at 180 for 1 hour or until tender

Just before serving put the couscous in a bowl and pour on 450ml boiling water. Leave for 5 minutes. Cook the beans for 5 minutes then drain. Drain any excess water from the couscous and stir in the orange juice and parsley with a fork.

Chop the green beans, put the cous cous and sofrito in bowls, sprinkle with green beans and serve

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21359395134.114550.jpg

Vegan hot cross buns and hot chocolate for breakfast this morning :)

We had the sofrito for lunch, M liked it and B wouldn't try it! Lol.

Tonight we've had sausage casserole for dinner. I used the Schwartz bag mix thing. Put in sweet potato, green beans, onion, carrots and yellow pepper along with vegan sausages and served with mash :) went down a treat!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21359477094.828141.jpg

Thai style noodles for dinner tonight! No pic as I was so hungry I had to just dig in!!

Thai style noodles

300g rice noodles
2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
150g broccoli, cut into small florets and stems sliced
150g cabbage, cored and finely shredded
2 tbsp oil
74g bean sprouts
1 tbsp ketchup
5 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp Thai green curry paste
2 garlic cloves, crushed
Shredded spring onion to garnish

Soak the noodles according to package instructions
Heat the oil in a wok/frying pan/pan. Add the carrots and broccoli and toss to cover in the oil, cover and cook for 3 minutes, shaking pan from time to time. Add the cabbage and stir fry for 3 minutes.
Add the noodles and bean sprouts and fry for a minute. Stir in the ketchup, soy sauce, curry paste and garlic. Toss and cook for a minute.
Serve

Delicious and the children loved it!!!

Watch the curry paste bab - you orb already checked it but some round ours put cream powder in it xxxx

Sounds lush tho!!!! Xxxxx

loving the diary, not vegan but want inspiration for more vegan/vegetarian meals, love the sausage caserole recipe, wonder if DH would notice the lack of meat?!?!

Watch the curry paste bab - you orb already checked it but some round ours put cream powder in it xxxx

Sounds lush tho!!!! Xxxxx

I make my own so no worries there! ;)

loving the diary, not vegan but want inspiration for more vegan/vegetarian meals, love the sausage caserole recipe, wonder if DH would notice the lack of meat?!?!

My son was a sausage/meat fiend and he had seconds of the sausage casserole :) I've tried a couple of different sausages and one was really salty and very obviously fake but I can't remember the brand!!

We had baked sweet potatoes for lunch, I had soya butter on mine and the children had beans on theirs. Then we had homemade bread and vegetable soup with pearl barley for dinner. It was one of those 'throw whatever you have in the fridge/store cupboard in a pan and hope for the best' type of meals! Went down well though!

Homemade granola for breakfast!

Vegetarian chilli for lunch today, with tortilla chips. I used asda's own vegetarian mince and discovery Mexico chilli kit. I added extra chilli to mine and mixed brown rice in as well. It was delicious and even better my parents are all theirs, declared it delicious and couldn't believe it was vege mince and not meat mince!! :D
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21359897675.227603.jpg

Oh and chocolate cake for dessert
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21359900565.151491.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk 21359900581.067093.jpg

Snack-the chocolate sauce is made with hazelnut milk, dairy and egg free chocolate and grated orange zest :)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21359910539.967511.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back