my rainbow - samuel james, elective section - 15/09/14.

nds

Reaction score
my elective c-section - samuel james.

~~~~~~~~~

so, my pre-op on the friday prior solely consisted of a small checklist asking a few questions, and having some bloods taken. had already signed the consent form.

monday,
arrived at the hospital 7:30am. had bp taken, and baby was listened to. changed into gown and met doctor and anaesthetist who just double checked i wanted to go ahead and explained the procedure a bit. also met the surgeon prior. i was taken off into theatre for my epidural whilst hubby got his lovely scrubs on.

sat on the bed and was to lean over a table. i was then sprayed with local anaesthetic, which was very cold, and the spinal was put in, which was not particularly painful, my butt then went really hot and i was numb from boobs down, was helped to lay down on the table, they cleaned my belly, checked i was numb and then put the cathetar in - very strange watching my legs being handled in the reflection of the light but not being able to feel a thing!

screen was then put up, and hubby brought in. started blubbing soon as he sat down and held my hand - i was so scared we weren't bringing this baby home either! managed to control myself though and didn't even know they had started.

thought i would actually feel more 'rummaging' than i did, the surgeon asks if we want to see baby being born - of course! so the screen is lowered and i can see his little head, aww. shed a tear and then he's out, and screaming! oh i am blubbing, such a relief to hear that noise, even hubby has a tear or two. baby gone to get checked and i'm sorted out, all seems okay and we got off to recovery.

i hold him with me on the bed from theatre to recovery but don't feel comfortable enough to feed him once we get there - i have really sore shoulders which they think is just the position i was in during theatre. OH feeds baby, but he is continuously making a grunting noise, so he is taken to be checked out.

baby ended up in neonatal unit until 7pm the next day, due to levels of oxygen saturation, and a temperature. he is not put on anything other than a monitor for his oxygen saturation levels, they are not worried but want to keep him up there to be sure. so my first night is alone, gutted!

in that time as well, i lost a lot of blood and clots - hubby says he's never seen so much blood - which was pretty scary as there was a few people around my bed and a bit of panic but it died down and all is fine now!

i was told that my iron levels were 7.1, and had they been 7 or lower, i'd of had to be having a blood transfusion. so prescribed iron tablets.

my temp then spiked, which was a sign of possible infection so i was put on IV antibiotics (ouch!) for 48 hours.

samuel was returned to me at 7pm tuesday night, and at 7:10pm a neonatal nurse came down and started her sentence with "i'm so sorry.." - que panic - "but we didn't know you were on antibiotics". basically they werent told i was put on them, but because i was on them, baby needed them too, worried he was being taken away from me again but he was returned about 9pm and has been with me since.

so for the next day, we were both having bloods and obs and our antibiotics, and it was all a bit annoying and uncertain. i was switched to oral antibiotics (yay) and we had to wait for samuel's results to come back to know whether he needed the 48 hour or the 5 day course (please no!).

all came back this morning, all my tests are fine and samuel is fine too, so very very happy.

hoping we are able to go home today! been a bit of a bummer, being told we should only be in 24 hours if all went well, and then ending up being in an extra 48 on top of that. hospitals are so boring!

samuel is doing fab, he is good as gold and i am absolutely smitten and SO relieved i have my little rainbow.

as for how i'm feeling, good actually. first day, didn't feel much as was still numb and was distracted getting angry at those annoying electric compression things on my legs. second day, catheter was out and i was able to get up and have a shower, quite painful but not unbearable. third day, made sure to be up and about, and actually described myself as feeling "good" (der na na na na na na). had hubbys parents over to visit in the evening for an hour, and my mum was meant to visit tonight (my dad is poorly and my sister is under 16 and not allowed, much to her dismay) but hopefully we will be home by then! feeling good today, a little tender on the sides but am keeping up with my 7 tablets (!).

can't wait for a bit of a rest. i manage to fall asleep quite quickly, but wake up ten minutes later - did it writing this :lol: - samuel is good as gold so would actually allow me to sleep if it was possible!

hubby should arrive at 12, and i will still be here for my dinner (its actually not that bad the food - although last nights tea was rubbish and the in laws brought chippy :lol:!) but fingers crossed i will be home this evening.
edit: we are home! :dance:

this was a bit longer than expected, apologies!

samuel james
born monday 15th september, 9:10am
weighing 7lbs 13oz, 57cm long
b8682a92f3a1311effddfd851fee7d11.jpg

He's beautiful :) I'm going to have an elective section this time. Looking forward to the calm :) x

He's beautiful :) I'm going to have an elective section this time. Looking forward to the calm :) x

it was all very relaxed, very friendly. laughing etc, all a very calm atmosphere. good luck!
x

Stunning little boy, hope you are now at home with your son xx

You must be such a proud Mummy. Congratulations again.
Nic, so pleased for you, enjoy every second of being at he with your forever baby xxx

thank you girls.
we are home & very happy to be!
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27