My husband wants me to bottle feed!

Nicole mummy

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I've not had an easy start to breast feeding my son who is my 4th breast fed son. This time I feel like I'm so drained, he feeds very often and up most of the night. I also have a very active 3 year old so feeling very drained. My husband wants me to give up breast feeding as he feels bottle feeding would make things easier for us all and our son would be more settled during the night. I have to admit I've been very grumpy and moaned a lot this time round but feel a bottle is not the answer. I do want to breast feed tho and feel sad that my husband seems so agsinst it. Our son is an unsettled baby cries most of the time when awake and full of gas, I even tried a dummy which he wasn't interested in. Am I being selfish to the rest of the family? I have very mixed feelings and quite emotional at the moment. Any advice would be appreciated. X

Its taken me a while to think about how to answer this as I'm very Pro bf, and don't want to seem pushy (sorry if it seems that way)

A few things to consider - switching to bottles may not make any difference to your sons sleeping pattern.

If you are 'forced' to give up (using that word loosely) you could easily end up carrying a lot of guilt which won't help your mood.

Have you considered co-sleeping? I was very against this when DD was born, but some times needs must, as if you do it safely I.e ensure pillows/duvet are away from baby, no drink/smoke/meds etc if can help you both get more sleep.

If LO is having problems with wind (something likely to be far worse using bottles) have you tried infacol/gripe water. Maybe even a trip to GP to discuss reflux.

If you want to try dummy again, have you tried different kinds - some little ones won't take some brands (DD never got one with orthodontic ones, others only like cherry!)

If you are really struggling through the night could you express and get hubby to do a feed using EBM rather than formula to let you have a bit of extra sleep???

Xxx

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

Its taken me a while to think about how to answer this as I'm very Pro bf, and don't want to seem pushy (sorry if it seems that way)

A few things to consider - switching to bottles may not make any difference to your sons sleeping pattern.

If you are 'forced' to give up (using that word loosely) you could easily end up carrying a lot of guilt which won't help your mood.

Have you considered co-sleeping? I was very against this when DD was born, but some times needs must, as if you do it safely I.e ensure pillows/duvet are away from baby, no drink/smoke/meds etc if can help you both get more sleep.

If LO is having problems with wind (something likely to be far worse using bottles) have you tried infacol/gripe water. Maybe even a trip to GP to discuss reflux.

If you want to try dummy again, have you tried different kinds - some little ones won't take some brands (DD never got one with orthodontic ones, others only like cherry!)

If you are really struggling through the night could you express and get hubby to do a feed using EBM rather than formula to let you have a bit of extra sleep???

Xxx

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

Hi there,

Thank you for the reply :)
I don't want to give up at all but I don't want to put strain on the family at the same time, I have spoken to the hubby today in regards to my moaning lol and explained all the benefits which our son will not get from formula milk and so far in agreement. I think it's safe to say we are still very early days still and things can only improve.

I've only tried one type of dummy and I'm really not keen on the idea of it so I'm going to stick without one for now. I don't think it will help his tummy if he is trying to gulp on a dummy.

Off to buy some infacol today to see if that helps :)

I'm going to look into co-sleeping too, my hubby said he will jump on the sofa for the odd night to give us more room, I think he was keen on the full nights sleep lol But I'm quite scared about falling asleep with him or him over heating in my bed. He hates the crib but I do have a basket I could try him in stuck up in the loft.

Last night was actually better he didn't feed that much normally takes from both breast and was settled with one but was waking for mummy not boob. So not sure if to be stricken and stick to putting him down to sleep alone, trying to give him both breast at night too or what to do for the best. I guess it's trial and error?

My health visitor said he is doing amazing on breast milk was born 7lb and has shot up to 11lb at 4 weeks old so I must be doing something right I guess! Thanks for the chat really night to not feel alone. X

It's defenately hard work bf!! I don't have any other children so I couldn't answer really but I can't see why it would be selfish to them?? I mean if its because he is keeping them up at night, even of you swap to a bottle that will probably still continue I'd of thoughtt? My husband tried to get me to stop for a job ofer I've always wanted to do but I said no, he was funny with me for a while after but I didn't care it was what's best for my lo. I hope you come up with what's best for all of you soon :) good luck xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back