My body's not ready to conceive apparently

Kay Kay

Reaction score
First off I'm 10dpo and took a test this morning and :bfn: Only symptom is kinda sore and heavy boobs, other than that nada. Anyway....

I went for my acupuncture & reflexlogy session this morning. It was in one of these chinese herbal places, the type of place that only has chinese writing everywhere and jars of herbs lining the walls.

I had a consulation with the practitioner, a Chinese man in his 50s who didn't speak English (apart from 'ok') and a girl. She translated for the man aswell as giving me info. She had a very, um, direct way of speaking to me and I'm putting that down to cultural difference and a wee bit lost in translation ;-)

She seemed to think that because the length of my cycles can vary from 27 to 43 days that this is very bad. Any cycle over 30 days is 'bad' in her opinion. I didn't argue, why bother? It got quite embarrasing when she asked what colour my period was (brown? bright red?) but as I wasn't speaking directly to the man himself it wasn't that bad (but still!).

The man then took my pulse, first on my left arm and then my right. About 2 mins each arm. The result of my pulse test was that my liver and kidney function is very weak and she asked if I'm tired/down/depressed a lot and do I have cold hands and feet? (I do). I said I'm generally a happy person but I have been very down with the whole ttc thing as it's on my mind constantly and I do get tired.

When I mentioned that I might/might not be pregnant she kinda chuckled and said that if I was the man would have sensed it in my pulse! So it's highly unlikely that I am. Wasn't sure what to think at that point :shock:

She surmised (purely from the pulse test & questions), my body is just not ready to conceive yet, the main problems being my weak kidney and poor circulation. She also went on a lot about my age as if I was about 45 or something (no offence meant to any 45 year old ladies out there!) but I'm 32 and don't feel ready to be classed as an old lady ttc! Again her straight-talking manner probably made it seemed worse but on the positive side she did have a kindness about her that I liked and I didn't really take offense. Suppose I'm just used to a bit more softly-softly approach.

They suggested that instead of acupuncture & reflexology that I should have acupuncture & acupressure as this is better for ttc so I agreed. What the hell eh!

He put needles in my stomach, lower legs, hands and forearms then put a heat lamp over my tummy and left me there for about 45 mins. I wasn't that relaxed as when I relaxed my left leg the needle dug in and was kinda sore. I just tried to breathe deeply and chill to the pan-pipes type music that was on.

The acupressure was on my back so for this I had to remove my t-shirt and turn on to my front. The man asked if it was ok to unhook my bra (well he pointed to it and said 'ok?'), I said 'ok' although I have neven let a man massage me before, apart from my OH obviously. I dunno why but I'm funny about these things. Anyway, he was very much a no-nonsense man and there was nothing creepy about him so I felt ok. It was a very vigorous massage using lots of pressure which at times was AGONY esp my lower back as I have issues there. But I found after a few minutes the pain eased and it was quite enjoyable. My muscles feel quite sore now, probably also because of body combat last night.

The girl recommended herbs to take and that I have repeat sessions, she practically promised that I would be pregnant in 3 months. I've booked in for the next 4 weeks and she gave me a reduced rate (£100) and the herbs were £36 for 6 days worth (and she said they taste horrible!). She said that without taking the herbs the treatments won't work. So I thought 'in for a penny in for a pound'. OH will kill me for spending £136 but I'm willing to try anything at this stage.

Anyone else gone down the chinese herbalist route? I do feel a wee bit like a mug but I figure I will try it for a month and see what happens. She said if I am pregnant it won't harm the baby, infact it will help protect against miscarriage.

I have to admit it was a bit odd to be told that my body is not 'ready' to conceive - I've been doing everything in my power to help. Will let you know how these herbs taste, cant wait! :eh: Sorry fo the long post! x

I am sure I'll get to the stage when I'll try anything to have a healthy pregnancy but at the moment I am going down the medical route (blood tests, internal scan, OH being blood tested etc) to see if there is anything glaringly obvious wrong??

I also plan to look at my diet and exercise and try some relaxation techniques every evening to help me feel a little less stressed.

It seems a lot of money to spend if you feel uncomforatable and have reservations though? Maybe see how you get on with the next session and decide if you want to continue....

It sounds like it may take some getting used but hopefully it will be worthwhile in the end?

I am not keen on the idea of being told you "have" to buy the herbs in order for it all to work though - sounds a bit dodgy to me (I am a skeptic though!!!)

xxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Hi Hon,

I am very very pleased that you are trying alternative methods and well done for giving these things ago. I have done all of the accupuncture, & reflexology route and although they made me chill out, (especially when she stuck the needle in my head and between my eyes) I did not get pregnant. :-(

With accupunture every time I went she asked me the same questions above and her views put me off a bit a well. You are not alone there! I found her quite negative and I am a very positive bubbly person. You might not believe that from some of my posts but I am! :)

Apparently my Ying and Yang were 'out' my feet were too cold, my body was not in balance, my periods too short with not enough red blood (sorry if this is TMI) and my womb was too thin even though she had seen my scan results from Harley Street. After 4 months I got a bit fed up and felt negative about my body, plus it was costing me £80 per session plus drinks and tablets. I did not notice a difference in any of my cycles either i.e they did not get any longer.

Having said that lots of women swear by it and have been successful. My friend who goes to same lady still goes and sees her in fact and a lot of women find it very very relaxing as I did. The lady i saw was very sought after and had loads of girls on her books getting pregnant and even after all the way through their pregnancy.

My advice to you is to keep an 'open mind' about it and try not to take what they say literally. Keep at it and try it for 3 months. It is as they say an alternative method and I found trying new things refreshing and exciting. I think it keeps you in a postive frame of mind as well.

You are very much like me with age, length in TTC and unexplained infertility. Techincally there is no reason why we cannot have a baby so try and think of this always when they carry out the treatment and express their views.

Good luck and I look forward to your updates. I have to say i did chuckle a bit at the translation issue. The things us girlies do!!!

Love Giz xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I agree that it's worth trying it for the three months but i have to say that all the consultants i've spoken to have agreed on one thing. Do NOT take chinese herbal medicines.

Apparently they aren't regulated and the compounds in them are unfamiliar and the possible impact on your body is simply unknown.

At least you are being proactive which is what is important :)

hi kay kay, i saw this today in the news - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...ine-makes-fertility-treatments-effective.html

in my opinion anything is worth a chance just make sure these people are not playing on your want to be a mother iykwim? If i decided to go down the acupuncture/reflexology/herbs etc route I would make an appointment, tuen up and tell them to tell me what they think is wrong befero giving them ANY other information - if they can point to fertility or gynae etc i woudl then consider going ahead.

Kay Kay, I have read this post and do see a lot of similarities in our experiences. I am attending a chinese herbalist place called Ming chen. I went there on the reccomendation of a work colleague who had gone. Basically her story was unexplained fertility problems for ttc her 2nd child. She had been trying for 2 years with no luck. This one woman she heard about was supposed to be the best accupuncturist for fertility. Anyway my colleague went for a month was told she had too much inner heat. Got accupuncture and took tablets. Her fourth visit the acvupunturist told her she was pregnant. Tested and bam that was her. 2nd baby. Each time she only checked the pulse and tongue.

Now hearing this I was like Im going Ill do blooming anything. I said from the start I only wanted accupuncture so thats what I get. 30 mins on my back then 30 mind on my front but in the same places as you. She tells me my 'kenan energy' isnt right and this has to be sorted to not only get me ovulating and be able to keep the baby (had a mc in Feb). I started out completely resolute I was not taking any tablets but as the traditional medicine ie. clomid and the waiting list of 2 years ahead of me I changed my opinion. Im now taking 2 types.

She does speak relatively good English but as uou say at times she can come across as a little blunt. Direct precise questions although I fell when she asks a question she already seems to know the answer. Such as 'you get up in the middle of the night to pass water?. Then nods when I say yes. Each time I had a scan to check if the clomid worked she says you are not ovulating yet? Rather than are you. She says my body is not there yet. Not ready .

I may bd a mug but I am beginning to feel there is something there with it. Perhaps its me looking for something but I do enjoy the experience. I pay £30 for an hour session rach week and £15 for herbs each week but sometimes 2 weeks.

Hey Im at the point where I possibly have a 2 year wait if she thinks she can help ill go for it just now. Dont get me wrong Ill not be going for the 2 years but Ive made the decision Im at least doing 6 months. I see that you are in the Glasgow area from the meet up thread. If u want to share more info on clinics etc feel free to PM me as Im in Glasgow too.

I went to herbal world, Chinese could barely speak English pins in the same place, heat lamp, questions, tounge inspection, pulse, had to take their tablets 6 times a day!

I paid a fortune and got a bfp considering I had AF in feb and nothing until BFP in July 2011 which was amazing!
Sadly I did miscarry in Aug but I think it really helped but I stopped going after he said I needed another 10 sessions, I felt it was more about getting my money....but I had my bfp so......I would do it again and I will once AF shows up this month. Maybe it's all in my head but even if it is it worked.

Good luck!xxxx

I would definitely consider trying it, where are you at with the NHS at the moment? :)

xx

Thanks for your replies ladies :friends: Sounds like a few of us have had similar experiences! I'm currently boiling my (stinky) herbal tea, it's a total faff and takes ages, I can see me getting fed up with it v soon!

itisbabytime - thanks for that article, very encouraging and has made me feel a bit more positive about it.

Laura thanks chick, I will send you a wee private message.

Maybe - love your pic of your wee doggie, very cute! We've had pretty much all the tests inc HSG so looks like IUI this summer, got our 2nd ACU appt next Weds. How are you hun? x

Oh, and OH not too chuffed about the money but he is going along with it to keep me happy, he's a typical man and thinks it's all a crock of shit :eh:

OMG the herbal tea is beyond rank!!! It tastes like death! Don't think I can keep drinking them, I really don't but cos I've paid for them I'm gonna try my best...totally makes me gag though :sick:

I went to Dr herb in Liverpool. Similar experience with the pulse taking, non English speaking man and questions. I told the man that I wanted something to help with ttc a little girl. Something to encourage girl sperm and make my ph girl sperm friendly.
He gave me some pills to take, assured me this would do the trick. I took the vile pills. That month I got pregnant with identical boys!! Should I go back and complain? ;) xx

I went to Dr herb in Liverpool. Similar experience with the pulse taking, non English speaking man and questions. I told the man that I wanted something to help with ttc a little girl. Something to encourage girl sperm and make my ph girl sperm friendly.
He gave me some pills to take, assured me this would do the trick. I took the vile pills. That month I got pregnant with identical boys!! Should I go back and complain? ;) xx

lol cosmicgirl, yeah do they do refunds? managed to choke back almost all of it tonight! using a straw and swiging apple juice after every drink. got tomoro's batch made up yuck. god please make me pregnant so i can stop all this crazy shit!! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back