My Birth Story.... (Updated with Pics)

michelles1985

Reaction score
Joshua Robert McKenna was born on Thursday 5th January 2012 at 3.56am weighing 6lb 15oz and was 16 days early. Here is my birth story:

At 1.30am on Thursday morning I woke up with period type cramps all across the bottom of my bump. I had been having these on and off for a couple
of days so I ignored it. I went to the toilet and the pain carried on so I put a pad on, went back to bed and sat up until 2 o clock. The pain started to
wear off so I thought I'd get my head down to get some more sleep incase it turned out to be the real thing. I did think of waking husband to put him on
alert but I thought that it'd be ages yet if it was the real thing so I'll just let him sleep (my last labour was 40 hours).

Anyway, I must have nodded off and woke again at 2.57am with yet another period type pain in the same place across the bottom of my bump. I sat up on the edge of the bed and that's when the pain got worse. I went downstairs to the toilet again and as I sat down I noticed my pad was wet and there was quite a lot of red blood which was my show and waters. The pains got worse and worse with hardly any time between them. At this point, I still wasn't convinced it was the real thing until I felt the 'pressure' down there. Then I knew as all the memories came flooding back of my labour with Thomas.

I shouted my husband down and he didn't hear me so I forced myself to get off the toilet and started to head through to shout up to him. Eventually he heard me and came down as I was half way across the lounge. By this point I was in agony. I went back to the toilet and sat down and that was it then, the pains were intense so I shouted for Garry to call the maternity unit. He put me on the phone to them and they timed my contractions over the phone and they were 2 minutes apart so they told me to go in.

I tried to get up but I just couldn't. The pressure and the pain was so intense. I shouted to Garry that the baby was coming now. Garry was on the phone trying to get hold of my parents to come up to look after Thomas while we went to the hospital. But I knew there was no time as my parents weren't answering. I told him to call an ambulance cos the baby was coming very soon. So he called the ambulance and by this time it was about 3.35. They told Garry to tell me that I had got to get off the toilet as it was dangerous if the baby was born. I could hardly move but somehow managed to get the energy and willpower to get myself from the toilet to the couch and lie down.

The paramedics got here just after 3.40 (2 ambulances turned up). so I had 4 male paramedics in my lounge. One asked to check me and when he did, he said, oh we'll have time to get you to the hospital I think. After hearing that, my heart sank. I knew that in my last labour the pains were this intense and that was just me dilating and I prepared myself for hours of these pains ahead. So he said after the next contraction, they'll move me into the ambulance.

However, in the next contraction, I was ready to push and I just did it, I pushed. Then I saw the paramedic get some gloves on and put his hands out down there so I knew at that point he must have seen something. He told me to keep pushing and I waited for the next contraction and pushed again. Just then, the baby's head was half way out and I was given some gas and air. In the next contration, I pushed his head out and then a few seconds later had another one and pushed his body out. So, it went from them saying that there was time to get me to hospital to the baby being born after just 4 contractions in less than 5 mins.

It was a good job I didn't ask my dad to take us to the hospital cos baby would have been born in the back of his car. Anyway, was taken to hospital and myself and baby were checked over and were both ok. I had to have 3 lots of stitches. My labia tore (which I actually felt happen) and I had an internal tear too.

Me and baby Joshua are back at home now and he's amazing. Thomas is being an amazing big brother to and it's lovely seeing him around Joshua. He is soprotective of him already. It's so cute.

Joshua is quite a content little boy. He's sleeping loads and has to be woke for feeds.

Will post some pics tomorrow as it's been a long couple of days.
Thank you all for all of your kind words.

X X X X X

Sorry it's lengthy. Just thought I'd get all the detail in.

Oh, and by the way, I had my midwife appointment on Wednesday literally less than 24 hours before he was born. At my midwife appointment at 37 weeks + 4 days she said thet he was still alomst free and was only just starting to engage. 15 and half hours later, Joshua was born. So all you ladies who are worried about your babies not being engaged, I'd say that it doesn't make much difference, if baby wants to come, they'll engage within hours. However, this was my second child so can't really say for first time mums. But it gives you all some hope :)

xx

****Updated with Pics :) ***

Attachments

• Joshua 021rs.jpg
    Joshua 021rs.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Joshua 010rs.jpg
    Joshua 010rs.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
amazing story ur OH mustve been in an awful panick..well done xx

Wow, what a story!

Glad you are ok and are not too traumatised :)

Enjoy your little boy xx

Wow what a story, well done you for listening to your body x Congratulations x

Oh my goodness that's such an amazing story. Well done you and that's so amazing it happened so quickly with no real warning!! Glad all is well with u both and u r now St home recovering. Xxx

Wow lucky it was your second time I would've freaked out!!

Wow!! That's an amazing birth story! Xx

OMG!!!!!!! how quick?????? Congratulations and thank goodness it wasn't another 40 hour labour for you but amazing how you can listen to your body and know exactly what to do! Well done xx

Wow what an amazing story. You did so well you must be so proud. How was your hubby? One minute he was probably dreaming away in bed the next his son was being delivered in your living room. I can imagine that's so overwhelming hahaha!

Congratulations Hun xx

wow what a amazing story. well done you were so brave. xxxxx

You did amazingly Hun! Well done and congratulations!xx

Wow brilliant story! Thats how it should be done!! xx

That was incredibly quick, glad you and Joshua are ok.

Well done to you you did so well and so quick too :) massive congratulations XXX

Brilliant story - congrats on the birth of your son x

Fantastic story - congrats!! This is the kind of labour I'd like - fast, furious and over pretty damn quick!! lol

wow what a wonderful birth story :D really enjoyed reading it!! well done xxx

Wow what an amazing story. You did so well you must be so proud. How was your hubby? One minute he was probably dreaming away in bed the next his son was being delivered in your living room. I can imagine that's so overwhelming hahaha!

Congratulations Hun xx

lol. yeah hubby was pretty shocked. bless him. He was actually in the process of loading up youtube on the computer to look at how to deliver a baby cos he really wasn't sure if paramedics would get here in time. lol.

Hubby is just in the process of trying to add some pics for me as I have no idea how to do it so will update with pics soon hopefully.

Thanks ladies for your kind words. It was a big shock and I'm just glad all is ok with us both. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back