My advice...don't wait!!!

sally12

Reaction score
Hi everyone

My husband and I have only been trying for three months but we have always worried that we wont be able to have children (only because it is what we want most in the world and not because of any previous medical problems or our ages (26 & 27..ie still young!???). We decided to do home fertility tests to put our minds at rest so that we can be reassured and just get on and have fun trying.

My husband did his test on Saturday and it came back negative (ie he has below normal sperm count and we should see a doc). We are have been really upset and been through heaps of emotions. I have not done my test yet as I need to wait until CD 3 to do mine.

We went to see the doc yesterday and she has already refered us to the fertility clinic for hubby to have more tests done....his next appointment is on tuesday. If my tests come back negative on Thursday, they will also give me some tests. It looks like we might be in for a bumpy ride but we are planning to hold on tight!

I think what i am trying to say, is that whilst I still cant believe that this is happening to us, I am glad that we have found out at this stage rather than trying for a year as the docs suggest before having the tests done. The tests are v reasonable (about £17 each) and it could have saved us a lot of time.

I will keep you all posted with what happens...think I can now become an official member of the "trying to conceive with fertility issues" chat room! :shock:

I wouldnt beat yourself up about it. 3 months isnt a long time to be ttc tho it wont do any harm to get the tests done. :hug:

Thank you Sally for sharing your story, this has made me more convinced that I should buy some fertility tests for me and OH. Hope all goes well for you Sally :hug:

Hi Loola!

I have been reading your comments in the other chat room. Obviously I didnt get the result I was looking for but at least we can look into what we are dealing with now.

By the way, hubby has not touched a drop of alcohol since he got the test result and has been gobbling down his vitimin C & Zinc like there is no tomorrow!

Sal x

Good stuff!! I have OH on Zinc and vitamin C tablets as well as multi-vitamins so I hope things get better for us soon. I dont know for certain that OH has a problem as yet, I just think that he might as he is very overweight and used to drink alot. Im hoping the change in lifestyle will work wonders for my conception chances. :)

Good luck with everything Sally12, I hope everything comes back ok for you when you do test (at least thats half the battle won :wink: )

Where did you get the tests from? I looked in Boots and the female on is £30 and combined is about £60!!

I would like to test but DH attitude is it will happen when the time is right etc..... but I'm 31 (nearer 32!!) and although he is only 25 you never know!

:hug:

Thanks for sharing your post Sally.

From what I've read, sperm count can be vastly improved with diet/vitamins etc.

Keep TTC in the meantime.

Marge - have a look at access diagnostics online, they have fertility tests for £22. Male and female tests included in that.

Bagpuss17 said:

Marge - have a look at access diagnostics online, they have fertility tests for £22. Male and female tests included in that.

Oh, thanks for that Bagpuss. I'll try that, that is a more realistic price - just have to convince DH to give me a sample! :shock: :wink:

marge said:
Bagpuss17 said:

Oh, thanks for that Bagpuss. I'll try that, that is a more realistic price - just have to convince DH to give me a sample! :shock: :wink:

I know what you mean! Ive got my OH to cut down his smoking, pretty much give up drinking (that was really hard) eat healthily and take zinc and multi vitamins. Asking him to cum in a cup may be pushing it! :rotfl:

Hi Sally,

My doctor ran a sperm analysis on my DH about 2 months ago and it cam back as having a very low count (about 6 million).

At first we were devastated and I really thought that we would have to end up going IVF. After a few weeks though I put it to the back of my mind and now we are carrying on as if nothing has changed - normal ttc couple (haha).

This is because one test means nothing on its own. You need 3 that are low to diagnose a problem. Once we have 3 I will believe it. Until then I am more or less ignoring it except for the advice to only BD every second or third day. Also make sure you BD regularly as this can help. So we have been trying to BD every 2 to 3 days throughout the cycle. My DH is on multivitamins, zinc, ginseng biloba, vit E and maca.

I really hope that you and your DH will feel better in a week or so. Good Luck! :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Thanks everyone, especially Sookie....your post made me feel a lot better! Trying to stay positive about it all...just v scared! If there is something there at least we will have something to work with!

As for the "try to BD often"...that shouldnt be a problem! :rotfl:

Is it just me...or are are there nothing but babies on TV at the mo?....arrrggghhh!!!! :x

Sal x

Hi everyone

I thought I would update you on what has been happening in the last 2 weeks since DH got a negative result on the Boots home fertility kit.

I took my test on CD 3 which came back as "normal" so we were very pleased.

In the meantime, DH went to the hospital for his sperm test and we waited a very very long week for the results...wondering just how bad the situation was!

We got the results back yesterday and.....he passed all the tests! We couldnt believe it! What a rollercoaster it has been and I could kill Mr Boots the Chemist! I know we did the home test right and so it was not "user error".

So pleased that we can just get down to it now and have some fun! not sure if I would have the same advice now of "dont wait" as it has been 2 very emotional weeks for us!

Sorry to blabber on...I am just so relieved!

Right off to find my DH...I want a BD....I always thought he was a right "spunk!!"
:D
Sal x

That's great news for you both Sally. I wonder if such things should be on the market if they're going to cause people such worry, although I suppose it did encourage you to get checked out before trying or waiting too long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back