My 5 month old baby is obsessed with TV? Help?

MamaJay

Reaction score
I'm getting a little concerned. I feel guilty but every morning my LO watches Finding Nemo from start to finish. She coos and shouts excitedly whilst jumping in her jumperoo. Problem is, she always likes to have it on in the background whether shes playing with her toys or whatever. She will play with toys but only for 20 mins ish at a time, then gets fed up! Is this obsession with Nemo this bad for her? :wall2:

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much. My twins were when they were young. Now they don't care about TV... it's all xbox and computer games lol

My daughter started watching tv at 5 months as it was the only way to get her to take her milk. Since then, she mostly has tv when she eats, although as she's getting older, she's easily sitting at the table for her food away from the tv and will sit in restaurants and at nursery without any tv on.

I don't think it's bad for her if she's only watching that, plus if she's using it as background, that's not quite the same as being transfixed by the entire programme. If you're worried, maybe try replacing with music?

Ok so I did reply to this earlier and its not sent...

My wee boy was the same, to the point I couldnt get his attention when TV was on, but I just limited it. 30 min bursts if possible and he only got TV time in the morning whilst I got sorted for the day or if I had to quickly do something.

If its specifically Finding Nemo, Id perhaps put the Sound track on in the back ground, let her listen as apposed to watch a TV. There is no great harm, but personally I would prefer that babies learned and played with their toys which is quite hard to do if they are fixated on the millions of colours and sound.

Good luck.

xxxx

There's quite a bit of evidence that TV for under 2s is not good for them. I'd try replacing it with music. As others have said, maybe the soundtrack would be better.

Also, 5 month olds aren't meant to have very long attention spans. 20 minutes sounds completely normal to me.

She watches it all the way through first thing in the morning...were talking like just over an hour! If i turn it off or change it she gets really upset. It sounds crazy but its like she actually recognises the film now! Ive tried similar films (shark tale, rio, inside out) but nothing compares to her love for nemo! Haha, think i m going to buy her a fish tank this weekend!

I'd personally try and wean her off it if she's getting upset when it's turned off. Maybe try toys that are a little more stimulating or go out for a walk when it would usually be on? Basically distract her until she stops noticing it's not on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back