My 1 year old cries at/is scared of certain objects?

Starchild

Reaction score
The first thing was a splat ball type toy pig my eldest got from the farm. It had rubber (hair?) hard to explain but like long rubbery strings coming off it. LO was about 8 month he touched it once and screamed. From then on he couldn’t even look at it without crying.

At his christening last week the Tinsel style balloon weight freaked him right out. Again touched it once and cried.

Should I try and get him used to these textures or will it make things worse in future? Never had this with my daughter but my son seems so much more sensitive in every way. He sqeezes new foods in his hand for a while before eating them.

Is this common behaviour in babies??

Do you think he may have mild sensory problems?
Though more than anything it's most likely just a faze. Babies will cry at many things, then not be bothered by them a couple of months later.
I would keep these particular things in the house so he can see them regularly, but don't rub them in his face or make a fuss about it. Don't 'try' to make him OK with it. Just let him see that his siblings are playing with these objects happily and nobody else reacts badly to them (and you don't react if he touches it and cries, because there's nothing wrong and you know he's safe, let him figure it out if you can) so he reslises they are nothing to worry about.
I hope this makes sense and is of some help :)

DS is coming up to 15 months now, and about 6 months ago he would cry and hold on tight to you if you put him anywhere near plants or flowers! Now he laughs and has learned to sniff them.

He's also afraid of his tummy time pillow that he had when he was a newborn... it has a ball that you pull and it vibrates. He discovered it last month and freaked out. It's now hidden in the cupboard hah. He was also afraid of his birthday balloons in September, and was fine by the next day when they were still there. I think it's new sensations/objects/textures that can throw them a bit at first, especially if they're a bit 'scary' or overwhelming.

He also likes to touch and lick and squish new textures with food, it's a fair reaction I think! Sometimes if I give him a food he's never had before he'll pick it up and throw it immediately for the first few times.

Some kids have weird things, but they usually get over them as quickly as they come on. I wouldn't be worried about sensory issues unless it's a consistent thing that keeps popping up with similar objects. You can always ask your HV / GP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back