mw just called about my iron

LynseyM

Reaction score
so the midwife just called me to say my iron levels are still low!! ive been taking 3 tablets a day for what seems like ages..anyway she said i could still give birth in the community maternity unit but i should not have delayed cord clamping and i should have the injection to deliver the placenta....im so gutted as i really wanted delayed cord clamping for the benefit of the baby :( i suppose it is just a small thing in the grand scheme of things but i have to have bloods done on admission n maby if i can get my levels up i will b able to have it. what are u all doing re afterbirth??? xx

I'm thinking delayed cord clamping and then when the cord has stopped pulsing, I'll have the injection. I don't think I want the injection straight away, but I don't fancy waiting to deliver the placenta naturally as this can take an hour!! Fingers crossed your iron levels improve and you don't have to have the injection.

With my first LO I wanted delayed clamping then the injection. I ended up with a forceps delivery and due to his dipping heart rate during labour he had to be checked over straight away so no delayed clamping. This time I'll request the same again if possible, I have low iron levels though so this may not be an option again x

Fx they rise but as long as, you and baby are well try not to worryn you never know what'll happen on the day.
Try spinach and orange juice (not mixed!) Plus steak. I got my iron levels to rise with diet so it can be done!

You probably already know, but dairy (calcium) will inhibit the absorption of iron, so don't take the tablets with milk/tea/yoghurt etc.

After birth...due to a haemorrhage last time and then a secondary haemorrhage and retained products three weeks later, I have to have the injection this time to get the placenta out.

I'm not sure why you can't have delayed cord clamping though? Did they give you a reason?

----------------
baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
next one due 12th Aug 2013

im a vegetarian...and i dont drink cows milk but i must admit i have not been eating as good as normal lately...sent hubby out to get the spinach n orange juice earlier so im going to really try n eat better. no she just said if anyone mentions delayed cord clamping to you when u come in i highly reccomend u dont do it. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back