MW Booking appointment tomorrow = nervous!

CountryGirl

Reaction score
Everyone keeps saying "are you excited?" and I'm like "not really".

I'm not excited because it's not like a scan or heartbeat search, just all the boring stuff. But I'm so nervous about meeting the MW and whether I'll have just her or a team or what. Also because it comes to the stage now with tests and scans etc when things could be wrong or complications could come up, and I don't really want to know.

Feel sick with nerves yet can't stop eating.

Any one else nervous before their booking appointment? I feel a bit pathetic really. Don't know what I'm worried about so much. I guess I'm just happy not knowing too much info at the mo apart from the fact I'm pregnant.

Hope she's nice!

Also, how long did most of your booking appointments take? I've been told by my midwife friend and the receptionist at the Drs that it is about an hour, but my boss says she didn't think hers was that long.

Sorry, bit of a pointless post but just wanted to chat to you all. I feel safe here haha.

Hope you're all okay xxx

My booking app was about 45 mins or so, I wasn't overly excited or nervous. I am still not overly excited or nervous really, suppose that will change after I have my 1st scan though.

I just got loads of boring questions about family history etc on my app, and then blood pressure and weight. That was about it really.

I still don't feel pregnant, just feel a big bigger on the chest and stomach, but not having a period every month is amazing!!

My MW was lovely, really helpful and friendly. I suppose having to work with pregnant people and really young babies you couldn't help but be a very motherly type of person!

Well that's good to know. Thanks Joanne. I don't normally worry and I've been feeling fine about it all, then all of a sudden this afternoon I started to panic about what ifs and all that. Nonsense really.

Well I'm sure it will all be fine.

When is your scan due?

She did ask me if any immediate members of my family or the OH's family had any learning difficulties - is it bad I said "none confirmed on his side, but I have my suspicions"?! Only jokingly of course....... sort of ........ won't say anymore about it!

I have my scan next Friday at 2.30pm. Really need to find out where the hospital is up here too! We only moved up here last year, had no need to find a hospital before now!

Mine was an hour and a half, and they took a whole lot of blood. Oh and I had I take a urine sample too.

When I went to mine I couldn't wee!! I'm such s terrible pregnant lady lol ... Pee every 5 minutes at home but give me a sample bottle and bladder gets shy lol she had to give me loads if water then by the end of the appointment I was weeing like a pro!! Had to do it all again thismorning as the bloods and urine couldn't be processed

Ohh I wondered if I would need to give a urine test! Better not pee just before I go then just in case.

Haha Joanne that's the kind of thing I'd say. Did she find it funny though? Gotta have a sense of humour.

I'm so glad hubby is coming with me as I'm really nervous. Dread to think what I'll be like for the scan!

You'll be asked to a urine sample so drink loads before you go.
Mine took about an hour and it was lots of forms and questions to do with the green booklet they posted...plus I was told I'm fat, which is always pleasant.
It's just an academic meeting to get you loaded properly into the system.
My midwife was really lovely but made a few mistakes so I'm not entirely confident about her. They all work in teams in my area anyway so the chances that she'll be delivering my baby is about 1/12.

I wasn't particularly excited about it... The scan was incredible though! I can't wait for the next one of those!

Ohh I wondered if I would need to give a urine test! Better not pee just before I go then just in case.

Haha Joanne that's the kind of thing I'd say. Did she find it funny though? Gotta have a sense of humour.

I'm so glad hubby is coming with me as I'm really nervous. Dread to think what I'll be like for the scan!

She did find it funny, thankfully! I was told my OH wasn't to be there at the first one - they needed to make sure I wasn't being abused or something. Supposedly, domestic abuse can start in pregnancy?

They asked me if there would be anyway I was exposed to mad cow disease, I said that my OH had called me a mad cow in the past if that counted?! She said that as the attention was sometimes taken away from the OH and directed towards bump/baby, domestic abuse can start. I said the OH never got that much attention in the first place!! Think she knew I was joking..... well, I hope she did!!

Haha that's so funny! But obviously not funny if domestic violence is happening to women...

Just got back from mine. Midwife was lovely, quite old fashioned. There was a student midwife there with me too.
I never got told that about partners. They just said if he wants to be there and I do he can, they had to ask us both questions.

Went all okay anyway. My BMI is slightly over so I've got to have a GTT (glucose tolerance test) at 28 weeks to make sure no diabetes etc, but other than that I'm fine. (Although that means I've got to lay off the sweets for a while. Might end up killing someone!)

I had to pee in the tiniest pot and was horrified that it went all over my hand! Oh the joys. There was a student midwife there who couldn't find my veins so the main midwife ended up doing my blood test. Stuck the needle in my left arm and dug around for while but couldn't find it, so now I have a nice big bruise! Managed to find my vein in right arm and took the blood, but then I went all funny and almost fainted. Felt like a right weezle, I never get effected by blood tests as I'm not squeemish or anything, but for some reason the blood being taken made me lightheaded and I thought I was going to throw up. Mad.

Anyways, should get scan date next week in post. Woop!

See everyone says they're asked about domestic accuse but I wasn't. Hubby was there he whole time and wasn't asked to leave. Midwife said partners should come to first to answer questions about their family and history that we don't know.

As for weeing... I asked for a Plastic cup :)

Last edited:
Yeah same here JoJo. No one ever mentioned anything to me about domestic violence. The only reference I had to it was the leaflet in my bounty pack, I just binned it.

So sad that women go through that when pregnant though.

That's good! I go woozy every time I get blood taken so was fully prepared to zonk out... which I duly did! I have done it in more mortifying places than a GP's office though!!

Why do they give women the smallest pots to pee in?! I got one of them too and it went everywhere! The first one I got was more like a casserole dish, it was great! But then the next time it was the tiniest thing that had a paper label on it?! I mean, come on! That is only ever going to end in disaster! We are not men and do not have aiming utensils!

I had my first app on a Tuesday, she sent her letter thing off to request a scan date, and I had the letter from the hospital on the Saturday so it seems to be done quite quickly in Aberdeen, hopefully the same for you.

Oh that's good Joanne. Hopefully mine will be quite quick too then.

Haha! I know! I normally do my own samples (which I shall be from now on!!) and I have a particular pee jug at home that give enough room for splashes, then I can smoothly pour it into the test tube!! Felt like a bit of a moose too as I'd literally filled it to the top (it overflowed!) and then they only stuck a flippin' ear bud in it anyway!!! So I had to take the rest home!!

Oh wow, that's okay then. I don't feel quite so bad knowing people do actually pass out during blood tests haha! Wanted to smack the woman though when she was digging about trying to find my vein!

My mw told me to buy a pack if plastic cups cos I'm going to need to wee a LOT. Lol

I was badly abused in a past relationship and I feel for anyone that suffers it. I still suffer the psychological effects now and it ended 10 years ago. My midwife went down the corridor with her trainee on the way out and we heard her way what a lovely couple we were which made me happy. :)

Oh that's really sad JoJo. Am sorry to hear you had to go through that.

Am really pleased that you're happy now though and have a little bubba on the way! :)

oh dont be sorry. his ass is gone! hes an alcoholic now hooked on cocaine last i heard so i know my life is better!

he told me id never be a good mother, that i was disgusting and its only been the last few years ive got past that and realised that isnt true.

my hubby is wonderful even though he does annoy me from time to time and i really think this is the right tome for us :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back