Mummies....anyone had the copper coil as form of contraception?

MamaJay

Reaction score
I'm booked in to get the copper coil tonight. Honestly, im excited because NO HORMONES. No more mood swings, no more weight gain. Back to me.

Just wondered what everyone else experiance was with copper coil? I didn't opt for the mirena because id rather be hormone free.

I can't have hormones. I end up a bit crazy lol so I had this (before having children).
It's meant to make your periods heavier. Mine are heavy anyway so I didn't notice to be honest.
It did hurt a little bit when being put in. And I got very strong period pains for 1 week after. Like I said though at tht point I had never had children. So my cervix was closed.

Other than that I thought it was great! You don't have to worry about remembering contraception xx

I took the plunge and got it fitted yesterday! Im sorry if this is too much info (but were all ladies right) but you know the strings? Is there one or two? I can only feel one!

I took the plunge and got it fitted yesterday! Im sorry if this is too much info (but were all ladies right) but you know the strings? Is there one or two? I can only feel one!

I've got the mirena and it has 2 strings- I can't feel them at all although it's defiantly still in place as the nurse checked when I had my smear the other week x

I have a copper coil and love it. I first had one fitted about 4 years ago before ttc and it really hurt going in. After being on the pill before hand my periods stayed the same at 3/4 days start to finish (although the first 3 months were heavier). After having my Lo this time it didn't hurt at all to have it inserted, I literally didn't feel it. My periods are much heavier now though :( I'm hoping they will settle down again

All in all I love having a coil, defo the best contraception for me

I can only feel one....but there only short...maybe an inch long? I got checked last week though and the nurse didnt say i was missing a string....so maybe i can only feel one!

I had a copper coil for 6 years before ttc and it was great for me - I didn't want hormones after my mum had breast cancer (she recovered). I did experience heavier periods but they were over a shorter amount of time so off the coil I had 7 day periods and with it I had 4-5 day ones but heavier and painful. But I always had painful ones so it didn't bother me that much.

I could always feel two strings but sometimes One did tuck up inside x

I got one fitted when my boy was 6m old. No hormones no fuss.

Cycles stayed regular and it was great.

However in September after having my coil in for 2.5 year I fell pregnant. It turns out my body had started rejecting it. So I actually MC one morning after a week long bleed (presuming it was AF) after the big bleed I just knew and tested to find a strong positive. I MC at 6w all confirmed on scans but obviously I had no clue. Good chance the MC was due to the coil sitting in my cervix keeping it open.

When I got it removed it was only 1cm into my cervix.

Plus side I was pregnant again within 3m which means my cycles appeared to get back to normal pretty much straight away.

Im considering it after this one as it worked so well for me before. But Ill habe a good chat with HV about risks of it happening again etc and weigh out my options.

Sorry to be doom and gloom but that was my copper coil experience.

xxxx

I had my coil out end of September 2013, was pregnant the next cycle and miscarried at 5 and a bit weeks, got pregnant very next cycle and again miscarried at 5 and a half weeks. I was pregnant with my daughter 4 months after that so never had a problem getting pregnant after. I never considered the coil being linked to the two miscarriages but I suppose it could have been due to things being more open but I suppose I would never know x

I assumed that was the case for me as I got pregnant and miscarried whilst the coil was still inside my cervix keeping it open.

But when its removed I imagine your cervix would go back to normal as the coil is supposed to sit above your cervix as apposed to 1cm hanging on in my case :lol:

xxxx

I'm definitely considering this as a form of contraception after having our little boy. After the difficulties we've had conceiving I don't want to go pumping my body full of hormones again! xx

Yeah my implant ruined my body last time.

I had the implant for 4.5 years and it took a year for the hormones to fully leave my system and I dropped weight and my CM etc started to get back to normal.

xxxx

I had the implant for 12 years in total and didn't have any problems with it, but I don't think the hormones helped with ttc aterwards! xx

Yeah well we were NTNP for 1 year after I got my implant out.

The first implant for me was fine. The second one just made me eat like anything, break out, moan, I was a psycho on it. I think my body had just had enough.

After the year bang on I fell pregnant once my cycles regulated etc. Id never have anything hormonal again.

xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back