Mum of 2 or more... How different was your labours

Discussion in 'Ask a Mum!' started by Squiglet, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Squiglet

Squiglet Well-Known Member

Its kinda a question for mums who've had two or more babies.. :)

I was just wondering how different your labours were, and did they start differently.

With Tia, I woke up with bad contractions, went to the toilet and thought I was bleeding, but it was my plug. A few hours later I had a baby.. I don't remember having any pain or niggles at all except BH's.

This time, has been the same, but I lost my plug last night, had a few niggles and thought this is it... but I'm still waiting.. and there is still nothing to suggest little miss will be making her grand entrance anytime soon, as now everything has gone.

So I just wanted to know if labour was commonly more different from baby to baby... Also I was over due with Tia and it seems that most mum's of 2 or more had babies that were generally either all early or all overdue... execpt the odd person...

I don't think I'll make it to 41+1 again without ripping someones head off of attacking my cervix with a crochet hook.. I'm far to impatient. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

2. Sammystar

Sammystar Well-Known Member

Number one was text book. Waters went first (I was in bed at the time) contractions started about 40 mins later....plug went after about three hours, etc etc.

Number two was different because I'd been having contractions from 27 weeks and the cervix was already three cm's dilated.
    When the real thing finally began, it was really slow to start with. I was having birthing contractions but stayed at 3cms for hours. Then all of a sudden WHOOSH!! I went from 3cm to 10cm in THIRTY minutes!!!! ooooooch!

One hour of pushing after that though....... :x

Number three was induced so totally different again I'm afraid.

I'm putting money on you popping in the next 24 hrs! :hug:

3. clairescunny55

clairescunny55 Well-Known Member

Millie Ryan
    Term +10 Term +10
    Natural Induced
    10 Hours 2 hours
    Tens + entinox Tens + entinox
    Looooads stitches No stitches
    7lb 15oz 10lb 7.5oz

Overall, ryans labour was the worst because it was a shorter labour i didnt have time to get used to the contractions as they just came out of nowhere every 3 mins :( Also i felt ryans head crown, and i didnt millie, prob cos of the size of him!

Good luck xx :hug:

4. Minime

Minime Well-Known Member

Both were identical, waters went, contractions started, baby popped out. 13 hours for No1 and 8 hours for No2 although No2 needed to be dragged out but virtually the same labours.

5. mary70

mary70 Well-Known Member

Kieron 36 hour labour vontouse delivery 8lb 8oz 10 days late
    Hannah induced at 35+5 due to large baby and pre eclampcia 12 hour labour then emergency c section 10lb 4oz
    so doesnt get much different :rotfl:

6. Urchin

Urchin Well-Known Member

Mason, induced, 24 hours labour, back to back, didn't progress well, ventous delivery.

Brody, induced, approx 5 hours proper labour, went from 5-10 cms in 20 mins, he popped out in 2 pushes.

7. lisa&alex

lisa&alex Well-Known Member

charlotte..lost plug in the morning waters broke 36+5 in afternoon 4.30 tues.. didnt have any contractions for over 24 hrs..6.30 weds contracted all night, was 5 cms at 8am thurs morning.. started on gas and air.. she was born after 20 mins of pushing at 11.45am 7lb10

Edward.. waters broke 36+5 in bed at 12ish am.. contractions started right away (same intensity as braxtons) lost my plug around 2 am midwife came examined me at 3ish was 3 cms.. went in pool about 4am started gas and air soon after.. got out of pool about 6.45 Edward was born at 7.35 after 3 pushes.. 8lb7

eds birth was obviously quicker and more intense..contractions when i was out of the pool were really painfull and intense.. but i needed to push but was to scared to incase i tore my cervix.. so think holding back made it more painfull..plus he had a cone head poor boy.. so he was obviously ready for a while..

8. kellie80

kellie80 Well-Known Member

Jessica, waters started leaking at 38+5, went into be induced and contractions started on there own anyway. Normal birth but quite long. About 20 hours.

Aimee, Induced at 40+11. Dilated from 0-10 in 6 hours then spent 4 hours pushing. She was a a bad postion and was facing the side. Narrowly escaped having a section.

Nathan, Waters broke at 40+4 and had mild pains for about 16 hours then when the contractions started he was born 1 hr 44mins later. Very intense labour.

9. andreaaa

andreaaa Well-Known Member

Callum - born at 33+5... went to hospital to be monitored for movements and they asked me if I was feeling the contractions :shock: I wasn't. That was approx 6p.m. Didn't sleep at all as I started getting uncomfortable period-like pains. Was fully dilated at 9:30a.m but my waters didn't go until I was pushing and then they exploded everywhere! Callum was born at 10:04a.m weighing 4lb 9oz. No stitches. Gas and Air only.

Caitlin - born at 40+11... my back waters started leaking, booked for induction 24hours later if my labour didn't start on it's own, it didn't :( .
    Went in at 9a.m, they broke my waters but still no labour. Tried a pessary but nothing still. In the end they gave me a drip of oxytocin at 2:30. Contractions came out of nowhere and were at full stregth, no easy build up this time lol. Stuck to Gas and Air and at 5p.m I was ready to push. Caitlin was born at 5:34p.m weighing 9lb 8 oz. Had an episiotomy so needed stitches. Gas and air only.

So two very different labours :)