Muffin recipes

sallybee

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has a good muffin recipe? It would be nice to do fruit muffins for breakfast (in the future) could I just get a standard one and remove added sugar? What are some good fruits to use? It really needs to be freezable too as I'm going back to work soon and won't have time to do much cooking xx

Stalking! Sorry, I'm no help but want to try cooking some muffins for E too xxx

I give her the normal muffins that I either put 1/3 of the normal sugar or sweeten more with extra bananas, apples etc. they are all freezable and their texture and taste remains perfect.
I also make spinach and cheese muffins or pizza muffins with cheese, tomatoe, basil, oregano, mushrooms etc. I just have a basic muffins recipe and I add whatever extra I want and adjust the flour depending how runny the mixture is.
She loves them all.

1/3 of the sugar sounds reasonable without being vile lol. Are the banana kind freezable?

I've made banana ones from the Gill Rapley cookbookwith no added sugar and they are quite nice and freezable. Will type out the recipe for you later xxx

I've made banana ones from the Gill Rapley cookbookwith no added sugar and they are quite nice and freezable. Will type out the recipe for you later xxx

Thank you! Xx

Ah. Forgot. Sorry. Here it is:

Makes 12 regular sized muffins:
150g self raising flour - I like a mix of white and wholemeal
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, nutmeg or mixed spice - optional
60g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
4 large very ripe bananas
2 large eggs, beaten

Preheat oven to 190C/Gas Mark 5 and lightly grease a muffin tray or line with paper cases.

Sift the flour and spices into a large bowl and make a well in the centre.
Melt the butter in a small pan over a low heat.
In a separate bowl, mash the bananas to a smooth, thick puree consistency using a fork. Add the eggs and melted butter and mix well.
Pour the banana mixture into the flour and fold together lightly, then spoon the mixture into the muffin tray.
Bake for 10-15 minutes, depending on size, until golden brown and springy, then remove from the oven and allow to cool a little before turning out.

You can add a handful of sultanas or chopped dates if you like.

I might have modified it a bit when I cooked them, but that's the basic recipe. xxx

Thank you hun it looks great. I assume I can probably substitute the banana with some other puréed fruit as I'd like to mix it up a little! Well how bad can it turn out lol xx

Yeah, I think you can mix it up to an extent. I've not tried, so I don't know. Let us know how it goes! I guess it should be something pretty sweet, like very ripe pear, or it'll taste a bit weird without enough sugar. I think I added some extra baking powder to the mix just to make sure it's not too dense xxx

I suppose I could sweeten it to an extent with spices? It could be a complete and utter disaster lol! I'll have to wait until I have some space in my freezer though as OH is getting annoyed that there's no room for our food! Xx

Here's one i use for blueberry muffins

110g/4oz plain flour
110g/4oz butter
65g/2½oz caster sugar
2 free-range eggs
1½ tsp baking powder
125g/4½oz blueberries, or equivalent in frozen blueberries
pinch nutmeg
double cream, to serve

method
Cream the butter and sugar together then slowly add the eggs, mix for three minutes. Add the flour, baking powder, nutmeg, stir to combine, then refrigerate for at least an hour, preferably overnight.

Place a spoonful of muffin mixture into each muffin case, filling each to just over half way. Stud each muffin with about eight blueberries.

Bake in an oven set at 200C/400F/Gas 6 for 20 minutes, or until golden on top. Serve with cream.

Here's my banana one..

250g plain flour
1tbsp baking powder
1tsp ground cinnamon
100g caster sugar
75g butter, chilled and grated
1 medium egg
175ml milk
2 medium-sized ripe bananas, peeled

Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Line a 12-hole muffin tray with paper muffin cases.

Sift the flour, baking powder and cinnamon into a large bowl and stir in the sugar and grated butter. Stir to coat the butter in the flour mixture.

Beat together the egg and milk and stir into the bowl until just blended. Don’t over mix – it should still be lumpy. Cut 12 slices from one of the bananas then mash the remainder with the other banana.

Fold the mashed banana into the mixture and divide the mixture between the paper cases. Top each with a slice of banana. Bake for 20-25 mins until risen, golden and firm to the touch. Serve warm or cold.

They are, it says suitable from 11 months though what's that all about?! Xx

2 large eggs, beaten

Preheat oven to 190C/Gas Mark 5 and lightly grease a muffin tray or line with paper cases.

In a separate bowl, mash the bananas to a smooth, thick puree consistency using a fork. Add the eggs and melted butter and mix well.
Pour the banana mixture into the flour and fold together lightly, then spoon the mixture into the muffin tray.
Bake for 10-15 minutes, depending on size, until golden brown and springy, then remove from the oven and allow to cool a little before turning out.

I might have modified it a bit when I cooked them, but that's the basic recipe. xxx

I have added carrot into the mix and courgette, sounds strange but C likes them xx

They are, it says suitable from 11 months though what's that all about?! Xx

Whoops, bad Mummy - I didn't see that !!!

xxxxxxx

I don't know what it is about the recipe that would make it unsuitable though. It seems fine to me.

Karen... I made a half batch of the muffins yesterday and me and OH ate them all! Lol! Xx

2 large eggs, beaten

I have added carrot into the mix and courgette, sounds strange but C likes them xx

I love the idea of savoury muffins might try that x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back