Mucous plug

What does it look like honestly? And how long before labour does it go?

Hi Sami,

Obviously I've not had much experience with this but from what I understand its meant to loiok like a jelly like substance and can be brown or pink in colour (can also be blood stained I thuink). Apparently labour can happen hours or days after a show and it is not always a feature of labour. Hope this is some help x

Thanks for your replies - I'm not sure if I have lost it or not, I don't know if I just had v.thick discharge (sorry not the nicest of topics). But there was a very thick blob of almost phlem type stuff on the tissue after I wiped when I went to the loo. It wasn't a hell of a lot, but maybe half a tsp of it? It was clearish white not blood stained in anyway. Could this have been it or could it just be discharge? Does it only come away when your cervix is thinned out or can it come out before? I know my cervix is soft and was 1cm long when last checked on Monday night but I don't know if it could have changed again since then?

I'm not sure if that was it but I have had discharge like that and it has seemed like a lot. I especially had it wjhen I had an internal examination, have you had one of those recently?

my cervix approx 15wks ago was 2cm dilated and soft, tonite ive had constant loss of clear/cream color gunk really stringy too, and stabbing pains in cervix.
but with my other kiddies didnt loss it til in labour,
but u can loss it weeks/days/hours b4 labour happens and can be blood stained/clear/cream/greeny in color and very stringy!!

Was it a lot or a little bit? It's the only time I've ever seen anything like this and my discharge is just watery now. My last internal was when they checked my cervix on monday night and I felt wet after that but I think that was the lubricating jelly they use to do it .
My cervix was 2cm long and high and hard on Sunday morning and 1cm long and soft Monday night after having regular 5min contractions for an 1.5 or 2 hours before they slowed and stopped again. Hoping it stays at 1cm long for the next 4 weeks at least.

mine has been constant but the actual mucus plug is supposed to be the size of a tablespoon! (dont quote me) but i think thats wat mw sed!

Oh doesn't sound like that then - must just have been a change in dc - it's gone back to watery now. I've had stabbing pains in my cervix but told that was because the babies head is pushing down on my cervix and could be aggrevating it.

i lost my plug a few weeks before i was induced, it was day after 1st sweep. it looks and feels like egg white. can be many colours.and i lost quite a lot. as if you dont labour soon after losing it, your body makes more to keep baby safe. so u lose it on a regular basis.

Thanks Elaine that makes a lot more sense to me now! I spoke to the midwife and she said it probably was a bit of it but maybe not all of it and the recent changes could have just 'upset' it and only some came away.

Do you always notice when you lose it?

Can you go into labour and not have noticed or even lost it at all?

My midwife said not all women notice it, but alot of women do.

I found the information below on a website which may help - it's answered my questions.... x

The mucus plug is the gel like substance that is located inside the cervix. This plug seals the mouth of the uterus and protects the fetus from infections.

What will it look like if I lose my mucus plug?

When you lose your mucus plug, it may be a little or a lot of gel like material. It will may be in a glob, stringy or just wetness. The mucus plug is clear to yellow-brownish in color, but may also be pinkish.

Does losing my mucus plug mean I am in labor?

Losing your mucus plug does not necessarily mean you are in labor. This can occur up to two weeks before labor begins. This can also occur right as labor is beginning. You will have to wait and see if you have any other signs of labor. Such as your water breaks or you begin to have contractions.

Thanks Sami,

I noticed something earlier today which looked like mucous but it wasnt a huge amount and I've had some discharge since around 20 weeks.
I guess I'm just taking more notice as I'm due soon - oh well, will just have to wait and see, guess it will happen when it happens!!!! :? :lol:

My mucus plug was unmistakeable. It was yellowy and jelly-like with a tinge of pink. There was quite a bit of it. I lost it the day after my 3rd membrane sweep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back