Mother in law wants to stay after birth

Evasmum2016

Reaction score
Expecting second baby in November. MIL lives hundreds of miles away, she is widowed, elderly and not at all independent, relies on family and friends near to her to do pretty much everything. She wants to come down on train to visit and stay with us once baby is born. I'm dreading it, she is not an easy person to be around... Very bitter and argumentative lady. Baby due 23rd Nov, thinking of suggesting soon that assuming baby arrives around due date she could visit for a few days from boxing day Tues 26th Dec whilst husband is home from work. Do you think this is reasonable of me? She is quite a burden, she can't walk very far and not no independancey. I will respect my husband's wishes, it is his mum after all... but I don't want to feel uncomfortable in my own home shortly after giving birth. She is also likely to want to come for daughters 2nd birthday (She may chicken out of catching train though, husband had to do 15hr round car trip to pick her up last time); but I'm going to say it will be too near to due date, her birthday's just 3 weeks before, but she's welcome to stay for a few days a month earlier!?

Last edited:
Ps she did come to stay with us for almost a week when first daughter was 6 days old... this was before her husband died though, he was able to help to some degree and meant they could go out together if not just for a drive to the local shop which gave me at least some time to myself.

Last edited:
I think you're being reasonable. New baby time is the least desirable scenario for a dependent house guest! It will give you time to settle into a routine with baby and she won't be alone for the holidays :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back