Morning sickness - stemetil

Discussion in 'Ask a Mum!' started by linspins105, Dec 18, 2007.

1. linspins105

linspins105 Active Member

HI there, just wondering if any of your new mums were prescribed stemitil when pregnant.

I am only 5 week pregnant and have morning/evening morning sickness (both feeling and being). Eating doesn't seem to always help sometimes it does other times not. I have tried ginger, peppermint, travel sickness bands, eating before I get up, sipping water etc. and they get me through when I am at home but I am finding it very difficult to get to work, so far I have only made it in in the afternoons. (needless to say work know about pregnancy)

the doctor said that if I thought it was bad enough I could take this drug but I am worried about the side effects on my baby and whether it helped or not.

I am worried that although i can just about cope now (have sickness phobia ) what I will do if it gets worse. and also work are being ok at the moment just but I don't think they will be patient indefinately.

2. cherylcusack

cherylcusack Well-Known Member

hi

they gave me them tablets and tried me on another one too, both did nothing except make me very very tired, so i stopped after 2 days. i know how you feel as im really sick through pregnancy too, it was so bad this time i was laid up in bed until i turned 15 weeks where it did start easing up, i am still being sick now once a day but after that i feel ok, as the dizzy nasty feeling went at about 16 weeks. i have a sick phobia too so i do understand how you are feeling, other people seemed to cope with the sickness but i just couldnt, it was just sooo bad.

3. linspins105

Thanks for info, glad you feeling a bit better. I know what you mean about other people coping with the sickness better. I am getting used to it when I am at home but can't go out (even to work) when I am still thinking I will be sick.

Everyone says well you just have to get on with it and if your sick at work then thats ok but I feel I just can't risk it. At the moment I usually feel better by about 1ish so have been going into work then but I don't think they are happy about it but what can you do. If you can't get your head out of a bucket! Unfortunately boss's wife sailed through her two pregnancy without getting m/s

Have you found any particular food help as I am tending to eat fruit and cereal only and bit worried eating too much fruit. Bananas really seem to help though but sometimes eating 3 a day! other half thinks I will turn into a monkey

4. cherylcusack

cherylcusack Well-Known Member

no food really helped me, i just eat what i could, my mum did a lot of homemade soup for me which helped a lot as it was easy to eat. also i lived of takeaways as i couldnt eat food that was cooked in the house as the smell would make me sick, my OH used to get it every night for me.

i think i also suffered from anxierty too, as i wouldnt want to go out incase i was sick and i dont like being sick in front of people.

i tried acupuncture as well but it didnt help. i just had to lay in bed and count down the weeks, i knew id feel better about 16 weeks as i did with the others.

i remember feelin totally alone as im sure people thought i was being a wimp.

5. linspins105

thanks for all your comments and advice. I helps to know your not alone.

I too won't go out if I think it is at all likely I'll be sick.

6. mum-2-one

mum-2-one Well-Known Member

I also suffered from hyperemesis and the doctor put me on an anti-sickness tablet called cyclizine but to be honest I think haf the time I :puke: it back up. I ended up in hospital on a drip and didn't really feel any better until after 20 wks. I feel so sorry for hun because it is the worst thing ever, all you can do is rest and take things easy it will get better eventually I promise :hug: