Morning Sex

Birdie

Reaction score
I just wondered if you all mix it up with timing of sex?

I realise that timing is everything with regards to conception and something I have been reading in an SMEP book got me thinking about the timing of when my DH and I have sex - which is always at night.

Many books tell you that sperm can last for five days and the egg for 24-36 hours. While this is technically true on the very long end (and something to follow if you trying to AVOID getting pregnant), most sperm will only last about two hours if you do not have fertile-quality cervical mucus for it to swim in.

.... sperm in runnier mucus will live about two days, and will be up there and ready for the 12-hour life of the egg.

I realised last night that when we conceived our son we had sex only once that month - at about 10-11am on a Sunday morning after a +Opk (because we could back then! :roll:) but we literally haven't had sex anytime other than bedtime since my son arrived! I hate sex first thing in the morning - but with a toddler that doesn't sleep well & gets up at silly o'clock it would be difficult anyway!

I work all weekend, so spontaneous nookie at brunch/lunchtime on a Sat/Sun is off the cards too....

Obviously any afternoons & evenings are very tricky whilst dealing with a toddler although my husband isn't available 99% of time then anyway!

I wonder if this might be why lots of people fall pregnant on holiday too - as sex is more frequent & possibly timed differently?

In theory we could be constantly missing the egg if timings mean sperm & egg never meet because my DH sperm & my egg need to meet as they did when we conceived our son?!

Last edited:
Interesting theory. We dtd at different times of the day generally. We have also tried to dtd as much as possible when I'm getting ov pains, I figure that must surely be a good time.

I wonder if people just dtd more in general on holiday, so thus increases the chance. Maybe you need to work out your next fertile period and book a night away somewhere over that time and get a baby sitter!

That is such a lovely idea snowbee, but my son is a bad sleeper & there is no one I could ask to babysit him overnight, I don't dislike anyone enough to put them through it! ;)

Also hubby works weekdays and me weekends... so I'm not sure how we'd time it from a practical POV! Ah well... maybe we'll get desperate in a few more cycles and try & find a solution!

I wish I was able to dtd during Ov pains but so often my DH is not around due to his silly working hours! I'm due to Ov later this week though - so here's hoping timing works out.

I often think about this. We 95% of the time dtd at night, I leave the house at 6.30am and don't get home till about half 8/9 at night 3/4 times a week so there often isn't any chance for us to BD in the morning. If I'm off the weekend we sometimes do! With our son we had sex different times and it happened easily. This time it's only ever at night and not happening. Making me wonder! Xx

Last edited:
I'm certainly not a spontaneous person... and OH (if he's not at work) wouldn't wake up for morning sex... I always made the point of doing it at night so I didn't have to get up straight away and have all the sperm leak out :oops:

I've been pregnant 6 times and 4 out of the 6 have been from morning sex :)

I've been pregnant three times and each time has been from sex at bedtime.

XX

I suppose it all depends on when you o and how long your egg lasts.

I suppose if possible mix it up a bit to cover all bases!

I wonder if some of us are more fertile at night & some in the morning then?! I do find it an interesting theory!

I just got a positive Opk and I'm seriously considering trying to work out how to fit a quickie in before hubby leaves for work in the morning... My toddler never watches tv in the morning so if I put that on I think it would distract him just a few mins! (Is that really dodgey?!)

Last edited:
It's an interesting idea. Put it to the test....distract your toddler!

Definitely not birdie. We shamefully do it with our son if I'm off the weekend. He loves it though.... I mean my son and the TV, not hubby. Although he probably does too haha :lol: xx

Last time I got preg we dtd in the morning, and this time we dtd about noonish. I actually didn't realise until I thought about it...
:dust:

This is interesting, all my 3 were conceived at night, none in the morning x

Ok... Well we dtd last night AND this morning as I got a +Opk with fmu so went ahead with my plan....

Toddler was distracted but so was DH, as he has an important meeting this morning & was in a rush & was not expecting to have to fit sex into his morning, so it wasn't exactly romantic (we couldn't stop laughing as I said I wanted to brush my teeth & he quipped back "well I wasn't going to kiss you" ;) ha!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 11
Super line birdie. Well done you managing night and morning. We're going to BD in the morning as I'm sure I'll get a positive opk tomorrow. So let's see if the morning theory works. Eek! We've BD the last 3 nights then will again tomorrow morning and maybe tomorrow night too. Just for good measure ;) everything crossed for us! Xx

I was with one guy for about a year and sex almost always occured mid morning, around 10-11am lol. Never got pregnant.
Started seeing someone new and we only DTD once that month, after a night out, must have been around 3 or 4am, and got pregnant.
Also, we did it on CD10 and my cycles are usually 30 days or more. So either I ovulated way early or his sperm hung around the full 5 days!

Well DH was better prepared this morning, so we managed last night and again this morning! Blimey, if we're not covered this month, I don't think there's much more we can do!! :D

My Opks are very faded & Ov pains gone now... So I don't know whether to go for more bd-ing tonight or bother again tmrw morning?

Really got everything crossed for you MrsS15!! :dust:

Last edited:
You're on fire :lol: Go you!!

We DTD this morning (eventually, we're both feeling crap so it was an effort, shall we say :lol:) going to try again tonight and then probably tomorrow night. That'll be 7 times in my fertile week. Like you, if we aren't covered then its just another month not meant to be ours I guess!

Thank you so much Birdie, same to you :babydust: xxx

Did you ever get your +Opk MrsS15?

Got a positive first thing this morning birdie, continued until tonight and been gabbing lots of left sided pain all day. Only managed to BD this morning though. Hope it's enough xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back