More advice please!

tambo1976

Reaction score
Hi again ladies, sorry to be a pain but I honestly have no one else to ask :(

Last night in the bath I got Scott to latch again, he loves the bath with me and latches instantly. So then I thought, screw the expressing, he can obviously latch. He's proved he can do it many times now (still with the use of Nipple shields but I don't care) so I decided I'm not going to pump, I'm just going to keep trying and trying.

Since last night his 2am, 5am, half 8am, 12 and half 2pm have all been direct from the boob. He does get very frustrated at the start of every feed but calms down within a few minutes and manages to drink for a minimum of 20 minutes each time. I am so pleased!

But now I'm not sure, should I still pump? I haven't pumped at all since 1 am last night but my boobs feel fine because Scott has managed to empty one side at every feed. I switch boobs at each feed. I'm just worried he's not drinking enough and my supply will drop. He is very content so I know he is drinking plenty and his nappies are regularly wet and pooey.

He actually seems more sleepy since actually breast feeding so I think he might actually be getting more milk. Does he get more milk from direct sucking?

I'm just worried all the time, I hope my body manages to make enough milk to sustain him now I'm not expressing x

Tapatalking so can't see sigs or click thanks!

I had the exact same worry too! I used to combi feed E until she regained her birth weight, then I expressed and breast fed. Then one day I thought I'd just breastfeed and see how it went, I was worried she wouldn't get enough, but I had her weighed a few days later and she'd put on weight! So I ditched pumping all the time.

My advice is your baby will let you know for sure if he's still hungry so it sounds like he's getting enough. If you're still a bit hesitant, maybe pump once in the morning, freeze that milk and then get him weighed at the end of the week? That'll put your mind at rest. Pumping is exhausting stuff and breast feeding gets so easy once you've persevered through the painful stage.

I never thought of getting him weighed, good idea! I'll have to call my HV x

No probs! I called my HV too and told her my dilemma and she made me an appointment to get her weighed a few days later, so definitely worth it.
How was it yesterday?xxx

We had a terrible night. He just refused to latch during the 2 night feeds and I ended up with a screaming baby who I couldn't calm down. Real tears were dripping off his little checks and both times I had to go and defrost some milk, I was so upset. Oh well another day so gonna start fresh and hope for the best x

If he gets really upset and won't latch, you could maybe try giving him a syringe of expressed milk then try again to get him latched before giving him a full bottle feed x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Tambo, I found in the early weeks a bottle of expressed milk before bed really helped?xxx

I was thinking those 2 exact things ladies, I'm disappointed I give in and gave him a bottle and looking back now wish I had just given him a syringe to take the edge of his hunger and I thought this morning I will give him a bottle at his midnight feed so I know he will be full up for bedtime, or do you think it's better to give him his 3 am feed in a bottle instead?

I think it was a combination of his hunger, he was just furious and his hands kept pulling the nipple shield off... Very frustrating! And the bloody nipple shields coming off making him more angry. I was tempted to sellotape them down at one point!

Just out of interest, if I express a bottle then say half an hour later he wants feeding... Will there be milk still in my boob for him?

Thanks x

How many weeks is he chick?

I'm trying to think back to what I did and have just asked my OH and he reminded me in the early 3-4 weeks I would express for her bedtime feed and again for her middle of the night feed. I would bf all other times. Then I moved to fully breastfeeding when she got used to it.

As for the nipple shields, are you using them for the latching? Have you considered trying without them?

Xxx

I am using medela shields at the mo and they're great, which ones are you using? Might be worth switching if yours aren't working well for you.

If you express from one boob I would offer other boob to Scott if it's looking like he might have a feed from you - he would still be able to get milk from the expressed boob but it would be harder work for him I think you want to make it as easy as possible at the mo.

Well done for sticking with it -I'm having my own challenges at the mo but we'll both get there in the end x

How many weeks is he chick?

I'm trying to think back to what I did and have just asked my OH and he reminded me in the early 3-4 weeks I would express for her bedtime feed and again for her middle of the night feed. I would bf all other times. Then I moved to fully breastfeeding when she got used to it.

As for the nipple shields, are you using them for the latching? Have you considered trying without them?

Xxx

He will not latch at all without them, I have tried countless times and he just shakes his head about rooting, never manages a latch and gets really angry. He's 4 weeks tomorrow x

I am using medela shields at the mo and they're great, which ones are you using? Might be worth switching if yours aren't working well for you.

If you express from one boob I would offer other boob to Scott if it's looking like he might have a feed from you - he would still be able to get milk from the expressed boob but it would be harder work for him I think you want to make it as easy as possible at the mo.

Well done for sticking with it -I'm having my own challenges at the mo but we'll both get there in the end x

I'm using the mothercare shields but getting them to stick is kinda impossible, I end up holding them away from his face because they roll into his face while he is drinking. Who sells the medela shields? I'd be more than happy to try another brand.

For some reason he really prefers my left boob lol so I might just express the right so he gets to drink from his favourite side. Although that could be because I just find it more difficult to hold him to my right boob, don't know why! I'm right handed but left boobed :lol:

Good luck with your challenges too Cantstop! X

I got the Medela ones in Boots hun, about £7-8 for two and they are really thin and quite easy to keep in place x

Why don't you try having a reserve of expressed milk in the fridge and see how it goes the next few nights with breastfeeding with different nipple shields? If he really doesn't take to it then give him the bottle for night time feeds and breastfeed the rest of the time?
What time does he usually wake up? My lo gets up at 7, so I express 3oz from one boob at 6.45 and store that. Then when I feed her I feed her from the boob I expressed with and then move her onto the other side and usually she has more than enough. Then if I'm really keen, I express another 3oz at around 10.30am. I find if I express in the evening and try and breastfeed her after she isn't satisfied.

One other thing that no one told me - Beware the 6 week growth spurt. That'll do anything to knock your confidence with breastfeeding. You'll think he's not getting enough as he'll be at your boob constantly being extra fussy. But don't give up as he'll just be increasing your supply to match his ever growing appetite! It'll be over after a week and that's when breastfeeding becomes so much easier.

I hope you have a better night tonight chick.xxx

I got the Medela ones in Boots hun, about £7-8 for two and they are really thin and quite easy to keep in place x

Cheers, I'm gonna grab some tomorrow x

Why don't you try having a reserve of expressed milk in the fridge and see how it goes the next few nights with breastfeeding with different nipple shields? If he really doesn't take to it then give him the bottle for night time feeds and breastfeed the rest of the time?
What time does he usually wake up? My lo gets up at 7, so I express 3oz from one boob at 6.45 and store that. Then when I feed her I feed her from the boob I expressed with and then move her onto the other side and usually she has more than enough. Then if I'm really keen, I express another 3oz at around 10.30am. I find if I express in the evening and try and breastfeed her after she isn't satisfied.

One other thing that no one told me - Beware the 6 week growth spurt. That'll do anything to knock your confidence with breastfeeding. You'll think he's not getting enough as he'll be at your boob constantly being extra fussy. But don't give up as he'll just be increasing your supply to match his ever growing appetite! It'll be over after a week and that's when breastfeeding becomes so much easier.

I hope you have a better night tonight chick.xxx

Luckily I have about 50oz stored in the freezer but I will definitely be bottle feeding him at least once during the night to settle him. I'll definitely be able to express enough during the day to sort out a couple of bottles in the fridge. I'm going to grab the medela shields tomorrow so just hoping they'll help. I have noticed that he seems much hungrier in the evenings as well so I won't express then.

Thanks for the heads up about the 6 week spurt, that's something to look forward to!

Just had a nice bath with him and he drank for ages so hopefully he'll settle nice and early tonight, I really could do with some sleep x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back