Monitoring Movement

Juice

Reaction score
At my last midwife appointment I was told that I should start monitoring baby's movement from 24 weeks.

Just wondering what everyone else has been told because I've seen a lot of ladies on here say that it's not really regular until tri3 :eh: So I'm confused!

Is it too early to worry if she goes quiet for a few hours? Is a few hours long enough to worry anyway?

Also, how do you monitor movement? I've read something about 10 movements an hour? Or one movement an hour for 10 hours? Something like that! But I'm really confused :eh:

Last edited:
I was wondering how this works too - if it was a certain amount or if it was just working out what is normal for you and anything less is a problem? Surely some babies are more active than others so must be quite hard for some babies to meet movement requirements? I am worried I will be constantly at hospital asking them to check baby is ok lol xxx

I thought the same, whenever I read up I get completely confused and although I am still early, sometimes I wont feel him all day, then i will get a period of loads of movement then absolutely nothing. Its not always made clear, is it?! I am sure I read you were suppose to monitor movement until 28 weeks? x

Well I'm glad it's not just me who's confused! Hopefully someone with more experience than us will come and enlighten us :)

I'm 25 weeks tomorrow and haven't been told to monitor movements yet. I'm sure I'd also read that you should be able to count 10 movements in an hour but you'd need to lie down and focus on it so you don't miss anything x

I read that babies can sleep 12-14hrs at a time and that if your monitoring movements there should be 12 within the day xx

What counts as one movement? One kick? I get about 5 kicks in the space of 5 mins sometimes- is that classed as one movement or 5? x

They sleep for longer periods than an hour so little movement will be felt and they are all different... think you need to monitor what u feel maybe to get to know your babys movements best thing to do is just ring your Midwife and ask... this is what they get paid for afterall don't go off what you have ehard go off what the profesionals tell you

Movements should be counted from 28 weeks one movement it anything from a roll to a kick any movement u feel is one movement and u should feel at least 10 in 24 hours, remember this is a giidline and obviously if u normally have way more movement than that and it goes reli quite for a day then get checked :) hope this helps xxx

I saw my midwife yesterday, and she told me that every baby has its own pattern of movement that you will get to know. It is a significant reduction in that pattern that you should be worried about. Some babies are active, some are not and how much you feel depends a lot on their position until they are much bigger.

This is a good thread my little madam seems to get more active after I've been busy but yeah I was really confused about how much movement should be felt in a day as sometimes I get a lot of kicks all at once and then none for ages so was unsure weather that would be counted as one or 10 x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back