Mongolian blue spot

niknaks

Reaction score
About a week ago as oh was giving Leandro a bath I noticed what I presumed was a massive bruise just where his tail bone was. Ive seen a discolouration before but I presumed it was because hes a colored baby but this time it was bright blue. it wasnt huting him so we left it and couldnt think of how he got it and he was avting perfectly fine. better than normal in fact and we were gonna take him to the clinic today to get weighed anyway. So were did and showed the hv and she told us it was a mongolian blue spot which is common in asian and coloured babies. was so glad. only thing is just done some research into it and it can take years to fade. some babies start fading in their teens. other than that its just like a birth mark. scared the life out of us. my mum even thought its because we have him propped up too much so been lying him flat. also because hes coloured he has to have vitamin d drops everyday till hes 5. so just started giving him that. bit annoyed though because the hv told me today that he was meant to start them at 6 weeks but the other hv didnt tell us so hes missed 4 weeks of it. but on a good note hes growing perfectly for his birth weight and is now 13lbs 10ozs hehe xxx

i remember this very well !

My dd is white/african, about 1 week after she was born i noticed this huge bruise like mark on the bottom of her back and i was scared to death, i thought id done something wrong and thought when the HV seen it she was gonna call ss and all sorts of crazy things racing through my mind :roll:.
When we next saw the HV i asked her about it and ahe said it was a mongolian spot and that all multi race babies had them. If only they could of warned me instead of presuming we all know about these things it would of saved me alot of worry.

My dd is now 7 and its barely visable and my dd didnt have vitamin d drops !

my sons a bit of everything. im asian and my oh is 1/2 asian 1/4 white 1/4 african. its really weird weve only noticed the blue the past week or so. we were scared to tell anyone because the hv called us last week cos we had to take him to ane as my mum was cutting his nails and nipped him, so i got worried about ss too. if it was causing him discomfort i would have taken him straight to docs. its nearly the size of my palm. its annoying they should really warm you of these things. never heard of it before and some of my friends with mixed race kids havent either. dont think me and my sis had it. wow 7 years seems like such anlong time to me but suppose if its not causing any problems then its ok. really they said it was free and they give it to all asian and coloured babies. part of the healthy start thing xxx

oh well maybe its all changed now, it was 7 years ago :).

Yeh its definatley worrying thou when you first see it, suprising just how much its like a bruise isnt it.

I noticed as my dd grew and her skin stretched it got less visable... but as i say you can barely see it now, no one else would notice its only cos i know it was there iykwim. it definatley has never caused dd any problems.

i know was panicking all the way to the clinic. aww thats really good for that. cant wait till its like that. bit worried when he goes swimming and stuff xxx

A bit different but Ben had 2 strawberry birth marks on his back, they looked horrible but by the time he was 2 they had faded almost completely, now you can just see one of them if you know where to look. But understand how scary it is when they first appear. If its so common, you would think everyone with asian/african parents would be told to expect it!

The vitamin D thing is also because of the up in kids getting rickets because they spend more time inside than past generations did, they are given to your kids because the skin colour means that not as much vitamin D is absorbed from the sun.

I was told to take vitamin D pills because I'm bfing.

Gosh I never knew about that. You'd think something that common would be in the baby books. I don't envy you Nik I'd freak out if I saw something like that! Glad he's ok tho the little scamp!!

Has your mum got over the nail trauma yet?

i know. im actually quite annoyed they dont say anything. It was horrible finding it and the worst thing is that it looked like a bruise but he want in any pain. Kept thinking he could have some rare disease. Yeah pinky. I still cant believe the other hv didnt tell me about it. Yeah thank God felt so s sorry for her. only thing is now she keeps giving me her words of wisdom evn if its things i know. like with sterilising the bottles. she was going on about separating the sections which i do and have done sincw weve been using them. its been driving us potty xxx

I'm sure that was scary, as everything would be running through your head, at least you know it's nothing terrible.

I've just moved to Denmark and HV has recommended that Colby starts taking vit D due to lack of sunshine, she said all babies start taking it at birth here and a lot of adults do too.

Yeah im so glad. they should do that pver here regardless of colour its not like we have a lot of sunshine xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back