Money!

Mummybexee

Reaction score
So - I was never naive to just how much kids cost

However I've just been on babies r us, mothercare etc etc and man- how we are going to afford to buy all this stuff is crazy!

The nursery all in will be about a grand :wall2:

Any tips from anyone? I know I shouldn't be looking but the scan last weekend is just that bit given me some reassurance :)

Anyone else stressing? We don't have massive spare incomes- looks like I may have to get rid of my car at this rate- I earn the most out of us... Until 2 months into my maternity anyway!

Look online for nct nearly new sales, also you can pick up some bargains at car boot sales. You'll probably want to get some stuff new but second hand things can clean up as good as new for most of what you need! X

Yeah I agree, it's all about car boot sales and eBay. Plus, many friends/family will happily help with stuff - I'm buying a whole travel system off a work colleague for £50! There's no need to spend thousands x

I'm pregnant with my second and seriously I wouldn't bother buying expensive stuff. When I had my son I still lived at home so didn't have as many bills to pay where as I do now. I was so fussy with my son wanted the best of everything pram cot bedding clothing baby swing. I'm lucky as I've still got all his big baby stuff but I'm having a new pram. Seriously I'd go car boot I got my son some fab stuff especially rattles if u can clean/ sterilise them. Baby stuff is so expensive and they don't last long at all. Certain places eg mother care do payment plans to spread the cost out a bit. xxx

Plus will your family help you maybe they could get you toiletries which aren't too expensive but will come in handy. I spent too much on my son. With him I brought from my dating scan at 11 weeks had everything by 19 weeks! This time I've brought nothing yet I did buy a few sleep suits when ttc but I say don't get expensive stuff I want a yummy mummy pink lining changing back which is like £80 n I'm having a bugaboo bee pram which isn't bloody cheap lol. They aren't babies for long and it's not cheap either xxx

Try freecycle hun for cots etc that go for free. I wouldn't bother paying for too expensive stuff, it won't last. I'm not stressing because I know you can cut costs down x

I haven't even thought of the cost to be honest I never knew it would be tha much is that just for furniture ?

No that's everything for the nursery-I guess it includes decorating and a new carpet- it's currently varnished floorboards which I hate

I want a vintage style nursery so didn't even think of free cycle or car boots etc

Thanks ladies ill bare it in mind

Also eBay!

Have you got Facebook? Try on there too if you have local selling pages. Or maybe gumTree x

Last edited:
The only thin I know I want for certain is a stokke pushchair lol !

I do have facebook( who doesn't haha) but since FB changed all I was some people posting into the selling pages on my news feed- I got so fed up of seeing people I didn't even know that I removed myself from them all

I pretty much hate Facebook

:lol:

I know a lot of people who said they bought expensive changing tables to match their cot and it was a waste of money, a couple of changing mats, one upstairs n one behind the sofa will save a lot of money! When you need to change a nappy you don't always gave time to get upstairs to that posh table! I think it's just about being sensible, buy what you need first and then if you have money to spend buy the extras... Or don't my husband would say lol

Try eBay or gumtree. We sold a lot of our baby stuff on there for hardly anything, and a lot of it was like new. we just wanted someone else to get some use out of it. I'm sure a lot of people do that.

we need it all back now!

Ive got stuff off ebay and family want to help so im guna let them!! lol. Ive got lots of second hand stuff ie moses basket from mil and lots of unisex clothes from sil. My mum wants to pay for the travel system so im hoping that will really keep costs down.

Michelle. x

Oh and Argos have a baby and nursery sale on.

Not buying anything for a long time - got to get to 13 weeks and tackle the spare room which is a junk room first :/ - which means our 3rd bedroom which is my walk in wardrobe needs a clear out to fit my shoes from 2nd bedroom and our paperwork etc

I have too much stuff :(

Yeah I don't think we will do anything till much later. We've recently renovated a house so all the kids have their own rooms. I'm dreading having to tell my step daughter she is having to move in to the guest room / office downstairs!

It's all about looking around for the best deals - I always wanted a new silvercross pram but after seeing they were £400 I resigned myself to looking for second hand prams. Then silvercross had a sale on and the pram of my dreams was reduced to £185 just because it was last seasons stock! My mum then offered to buy it for me as a present - I had a little party that day! I have nearly everything I need for baby already and have only spent about £160! If people offer to buy you things take them up on it, everyone has been buying me clothes and bath stuff etc and even nappies so I hardly have to buy anything for the first few months of it's life! :D x

Mum said we can store things in her spare room till the baby comes as its very unlucky to have it in the house. I think she's going to turn one of her spare rooms into a little playroom too. She lives around the corner donor will be nice having her and my dad so close. My grandma just lives around the other corner too :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back